The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
bbqpigskin
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First Drum Que Results

OK...Just finished eating the first baby backs done in the drum smoker. I kind of have mixed results/feelings about the cook.

What I liked:
  • Sucker goes like a mother with no attention at all! it has been almost 6 hrs and no temp drop or spike.
  • Very consistant heat.
What I did not like:
  • 2 of 3 racks came out kind of dry and really tough on the backside(pic below). Only went for 4 hrs @ 230. I ended up pulling the good meat off to use later for beans.
  • not a great smoke ring
Any suggestions or tricks would be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BDS 008.jpg (33.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg BDS 010.jpg (29.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg BDS 011.jpg (29.9 KB, 150 views)

Bar-B-Chef offset
Ancient Weber Kettle
Weber Kettle Gold
Proud owner of "The Hog"

Last edited by bbqpigskin; 03-11-2007 at 09:28 PM..
bbqpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

You have to keep in mind, everything cooks faster in a drum.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
Mo-Dave
Babbling Farker

Default Ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqpigskin
OK...Just finished eating the first baby backs done in the drum smoker. I kind of have mixed results/feelings about the cook.

What I liked:
  • Sucker goes like a mother with no attention at all! it has been almost 6 hrs and no temp drop or spike.
  • Very consistant heat.
What I did not like:
  • 2 of 3 racks came out kind of dry and really tough on the backside(pic below). Only went for 4 hrs @ 240. I ended up pulling the good meat off to use later for beans.
  • not a great smoke ring
Any suggestions or tricks would be appreciated!
Well I cook spares and they take about 4 1/2 hrs between 250 and 300 and I dont turn or foil them or mop. Last week they came out great not dry or hard and with a good smoke. Have not done many baby backs but I understand they cook a bit quicker than spares so maybe they should have been pulled sooner. Also it looks like in the pic that all three ribs, vary a lot in size, so a couple may have not been as done as they should have been or vice a versa. Not really sure, just guessing but I would try a couple more and soon. Also my top rack is closer to the top but I dout that had much to do with it.
Dave
Mo-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #4
swamprb

I do spares trimmed bone side down for an hour then turn and spray with apple juice then keep turning every 45 minutes. 4-5 hrs. I have started them in a rack and turned after an hour, sprayed and foiled 3-1.5-.5.
Babybacks 3-4 hrs.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
Bigmista

I've never done BB's in my barrel but I would think 4 hours is too long.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Mike,

Do you know if the ribs were enhanced? If so that may be part of the problem because they cook faster. Next time check them at about 2.5 hours. If they have a nice bark then foil them for for about a half hour then put them in the cooler. I don't do BBs very often but 4 hours with no foil does seem like too long on a UDS.

Again congrats on the cooker though. She turned out beautiful!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Mike,

You need to have a small fire in a drum, too much surface area can really throw off the cook. I too think 4 hours is too long for BB's, and turning/rotating is critical when cooking anything direct. The 240° may even be too high as well. On direct cooks, keep the fire just hot enough for the meat to sweat and drip. You can tell by the smell and color of the smoke if you are dripping too much. I'm an old baster, especially with BB's because they are so lean, but that is just me. Some folks never baste or spray ribs and they come out good.

Try checking your thermometer in boiling water to see where you are at calibration wise. With direct cooking, 10° will make a difference in the way you cook or when you turn. Don't know where your therm is mounted on your drum but the heat zones change about every 5" in height.

On ribs, the goal is not to have an actual smoke ring .... cook them just slow enough so that the full thickness of the meat gets the pink color.

Here are the first BB's I cooked on my BDS.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
bbqpigskin
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks! I just need to play with it some more and get it down. Like I said before, my only Experience before yesterday was on an offset.

Bar-B-Chef offset
Ancient Weber Kettle
Weber Kettle Gold
Proud owner of "The Hog"

Unread 03-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Good thread. I don't have a _DS of any sort, but it is interesting to see such a different method than I am used to.

Norco said "You have to keep in mind, everything cooks faster in a drum.". I can accept this, seems logical, but really, if we are talking the same TEMP, how can this be?

Since this must be the result of a more direct heat, shouldn't this "cooks quicker" be reflected in a higher relative temperature?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Thanks! I just need to play with it some more and get it down. Like I said before, my only Experience before yesterday was on an offset.
I have a couple of those inexpensive oven thermometers that I will set on the grate of my cookers to get a feel for the actual temp I'm cooking at. I don't use them on every cook, but they will let you get a correction factor for your pit thermometer.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2007, 03:31 PM   #11
bbqpigskin
Full Fledged Farker

My pit thermometer is mounted just below(about 1/2") my cooking grate, and I checked my theermometer with boiling water and it was OK. I think I just left them on too long yesterday. Next time I"ll try a cooler temp and not leave them on so long. I have only foiled ribs once and did not like the results, so I will probably not do it again. Hey, it is not so bad to practice when even the not so great results still taste pretty dang good!

Bar-B-Chef offset
Ancient Weber Kettle
Weber Kettle Gold
Proud owner of "The Hog"

Unread 03-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Hey, it is not so bad to practice when even the not so great results still taste pretty dang good!
That is always a great way to look at it. First few cooks on any new cooker are learning experiences for sure.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #13
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
Good thread. I don't have a _DS of any sort, but it is interesting to see such a different method than I am used to.

Norco said "You have to keep in mind, everything cooks faster in a drum.". I can accept this, seems logical, but really, if we are talking the same TEMP, how can this be?

Since this must be the result of a more direct heat, shouldn't this "cooks quicker" be reflected in a higher relative temperature?
My theory (and it is just that) is that in addition to the direct heat from the coals, there is heated air that is swirling inside the barrel around the meat. Radiant heat and convection working together should equal faster cooking times.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
Norcoredneck

Mista, the original Drum Major of this site told me this when I made mine. Ifound it to be true when compared to my Bandera.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-12-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
jacob
Babbling Farker

I first started using a rib rack mainly because I was cooking for 50 + and needed the room. I discovered that the first 3 hours in smoke before I wraped eliminated the dryness I was getting on some of the slabs. Any time I have to open the pit I also spray with apple juice as do many. This seems to help a great deal with keeping a moist product as well. Just my thoughts Brother I hope they help.
jacob is offline   Reply With Quote