THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lomey

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
After my old cheap offsets legs finally rusted out after 12 years I need a new smoker. I have been looking for a few months and have a $2000 budget so I want it to last a long time and be the right decision. I've looked at cabinet, offsets, vertical, over and under, kamodo styles, drums, everything out there and have decided the Humphrey's Battle Box is what I want.

My final question before pulling the trigger is, do you get a good smoke flavor and smoke ring on one? I like the good smoke flavor I got from my offset, but I'm not wanting to tend to the fire every 45 min that the offsets take. I know I can't really match the smoke flavor of the offset, but want it to be close.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Use more wood chunks until you get the flavor you want. I get plenty of smoke ring on my insulated cabinet.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

After my old cheap offsets legs finally rusted out after 12 years I need a new smoker. I have been looking for a few months and have a $2000 budget so I want it to last a long time and be the right decision. I've looked at cabinet, offsets, vertical, over and under, kamodo styles, drums, everything out there and have decided the Humphrey's Battle Box is what I want.

My final question before pulling the trigger is, do you get a good smoke flavor and smoke ring on one? I like the good smoke flavor I got from my offset, but I'm not wanting to tend to the fire every 45 min that the offsets take. I know I can't really match the smoke flavor of the offset, but want it to be close.

Thanks!

I have had a pint for 6 months...and I literally love it. I get a great smoke flavor/ring with no problem. Join the humphrey's users group on facebook and any thing you need you will get tons of pics/answers from people with a similar setup. I have never been happier with any purchase, you will love it. Congrats.

I have had a pint for 6 months...and I literally love it. I get a great smoke flavor/ring with no problem. Join the humphrey's users group on facebook and any thing you need you will get tons of pics/answers from people with a similar setup. I have never been happier with any purchase, you will love it. Congrats.
The Pint looks tempting, but with the options I want will put it above my budget. I'm already know the Battle Box is going to creep above my $2000 budget. I'm not on Facebook, but maybe I can get my wife to join the group from her FB. Do you mind posting some pictures of yours? What options did you get and what ones do you wish you would have now that you've had it a while or ones you don't think are worth it? I'm looking at the slide out pan, probe holes, 8" casters and the stainless steel fold down shelf. Maybe the umbrella holder too.

Thanks!

I hear ya on the budget. I ordered one of the ones that they had on their site "ready to ship." I think these are sometimes cancelled orders or ones they just make in advance. I have the drop in water pan because I run it dry. The slide out would be nice if I used water, but it takes up some space in the cooker. I also have the probe ports, but I would not ever get those again. Running the probes through them and down through the shelves is not convenient at all. The door thermometer is really good. Once I realized how even the temps were I stopped using probes, but when I was still using them I just closed the door on them...it was much more convenient. I have the stainless round bar racks, super easy to clean and I think it is the best option to add. I wish mine had the stainless fold down shelf. I use it on the back of my trailer for comps, so space was actually why I didn't get it to begin with. Also if you have room, I wold get the angled legs. It is tough to move especially if the ground is uneven.I don't have FB either but I made a dummy account just to join that group, lots of great info. But there is also a lot of great info here. Feel free to PM me anytime with questions. I have never had the time to tinker with it for such a long stretch, but the other day I ran it at 300F for 22 hours on one load of fuel, these things rock. I have never posted pics on here before but I am giving it a shot. I am throwing in a pic of a brisket I did the other day.
qZ8adbAm.jpg

rAwbGoNm.jpg

EHD2NL4m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With some tinkering around you can definitely get a really good flavor for sure. I can't say too much feature wise since my pint (drop in) is pretty vanilla. I have a basting tray i don't use anymore since I cook and pans along with extra racks. The one must have option I think are the casters. You definitely won't be disappointed with your purchase, this thing cooks like a dream.

Lol it took me about 25 edits to actually get those pictures in there but I finally figured it out :)

Can't get the pics, just a third party no go from photobucket. Thanks for trying though! Maybe I'll skip the probe ports if the door closes without issues with them. How do you check the temp of your pork butt and brisket if you don't use probes? I can't help but think the drop in pan would be a pain in the a** to deal with, but I'll reconsider on everyone's recommendation. It is a big expense. So, 8" casters and fold down table for sure with possible angled legs and stainless bars on the side. You guys have been very helpful. Going into a local dealer here in KC to order to save on shipping. Can't wait!

Can't get the pics, just a third party no go from photobucket. Thanks for trying though! Maybe I'll skip the probe ports if the door closes without issues with them. How do you check the temp of your pork butt and brisket if you don't use probes? I can't help but think the drop in pan would be a pain in the a** to deal with, but I'll reconsider on everyone's recommendation. It is a big expense. So, 8" casters and fold down table for sure with possible angled legs and stainless bars on the side. You guys have been very helpful. Going into a local dealer here in KC to order to save on shipping. Can't wait!

I went with a DownEast Beast and so far have two cooks on it. The casters are a must unless you want it on the ground and don't plan on moving it. I went with the 8" figuring it would be easier to roll over non flat surfaces and glad I did that. The basting tray is also a good idea if you aren't cooking in pans. The stainless bars are also a very good idea if you will be moving it in and out of a garage like I do. I move mine out a rear walk through door and have to go over a threshold. The rear slides made it easy to get in and out of the bed of my truck with any paint scratching. I went with the stainless top because I knew I would end up placing things on the top at times and figured that I wouldn't have to worry about scratching the paint and aggravating myself about the scratches, lol. I also made a last minute change to add the stainless interior and so far, that cleans up easy and nice as well. Short story, if you plan on moving it around, get the stainless bar handles and casters. The slides are great if loading into a truck. The stainless top and interior are not must haves, but are a nice addition. Speaking of that, I did say I'd let someone know how I liked the stainless interior. Gotta track him down.

I also went with the probe ports because it would drive me nuts going between the door and cabinet (strictly personal preference). I did skip the fold down table as I planned to use my weber performer grill table initially (which I have been doing so far) and I plan on either buying a tool cart and modifying to my usage (drawers for tools and materials and whatnot plus a convenient flat spot up top) or building one.

I would definitely have got the slide out pan if planned to use water, but I would have had to get a DEB since it takes up room in the chamber. I agree that getting a drop in pan full of water out would be tough.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong with photos? I read and old thread that said use photobucket but it is now telling me I need a $400 a year plan to get those pics to show up here. Moved over to IMGUR and that seems to have worked

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot about the pan. I got the drop in pan and only used it with water so far. My plan is to purchase the conversion kit in the future to be able to make it a slide out also. This way you can use it either way, but that was one of my corners I cut on the initial purchase, lol.

Pharp: From my understanding, to get photos to view like they used to, you need to get that $400/yr account. I don't know if there is any other workaround yet. There was a thread going on about it in this section at one point, but I don't know if there was any conclusion.

I have a weeble, pretty close size to the battle box. I went basic. I want to get the basting tray. I have a drop in pan. Sometimes I use water sometimes ceramic pieces. I have also used pan in the lowest tray as a slide out water pan. I also have the heat deflector.

The only thing I don't like is how low to the ground it is. I knew that when buying so it didn't change my mind but I just scored a stainless table that is two feet or something high. So it's going up on that table now. Longer legs would be a good option to buy.

I'm thinking about buying th maze or trying to use the weber rails as a maze.
Cooks great. I can't wait to fire it up this weekend.

Don't know how far you are from the St Louis BBQ Store, looks like they have 6 Battle Boxes in stock, if you are close enough to make the road trip save yourself the cost of shipping fees.

Plus, they are some good guys. Super helpful and they cook on different grills/smokers during some days. You might even be able to hit them on a Saturday when they are using their BattleBox.

I have considered the stainless steel top because it would drive me crazy if the paint got scratched. I live in Merriam, KS which is KC so I have a local dealer here to save on shipping, even if I order one. No shipping saves me about $450.

Back