The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-06-2007, 05:12 PM   #1
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Default first visit to Daisy May's today

Well I finally made my way over to Daisy May's today, because it really does require a focused visit, it is near nothing else. I had the dry pork ribs and the beef ribs, with mashed potatoes, barbecue beans, cheesy corn and corn bread.

I have to say the ribs were perfectly cooked, the pork ribs may have been out of the smoker a little to long and were a little dry. The beef rib however was so juicy that if I did not know better I would swear it had been braised. It was also one huge hunk of meat on the bone, not a bunch of little short ribs. Both meats seemed to be a little lacking in flavour however. Which is suprising, especially because you could see a good coating of rub on the pork ribs. The beef ribs were sauced and needed it.

The side dishes were all good. Barbecue beans was a mix of three beans with burnt ends and was not overly sweet. the cheesy corn was tasty as well as the mashed potatoes, but the corn bread was very dry and not served with butter which would have helped it out.
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (scrapped, because door kept falling off)
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Sorry that you did not make it in February to the Pig Pickin' Party.
We were treated extremely well. The beef ribs were other worldly...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I will definitely return!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goodstuff.jpg (127.5 KB, 91 views)
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

I was on the west side on Monday so I swung by and grabbed some of their red chili, good stuff as well.
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I was there a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. The meats were all well cooked, and the ribs were good. I wish I'd tried the beef rib, but I didn't.

however, it seemed everything had the same flavor. I think they put the same rub in everything, including the cole slaw. The ribs were very well cooked, and tasted great, but I got the same flavor from the beans and slaw and pork. Too much of the same. I'd go again, if nothing else than to try the beef ribs. The sweet tea was great, though.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

The food they serve for the pig-pickn' is great and is specially made for the event. The pig-pickn' food is not the same as what's served for walk-ins, which is good in its own right, but can be under-smoked and under flavored.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote