喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-04-2007, 06:02 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Chilli Cookoff

Noticed a flier at the YMCA the other day about a Chilli Cookoff. The event was going to be a fundraiser for a Relay for Life team made up of employees that work at a local physical therapy office and the American Cancer Society. Contestants could enter at $10 per entry and all you had to do was donate some $ to be a taster and judge. After the judging, anyone could buy a bowl of chilli for $1. I figured what the hell, I'll throw down on that so I called and told them to put my name on the list as a competitor. Took a smoked brisket point and some pulled pork out of the freezer from a previous cook and placed them in the crock pot along with onions, garlic, tomatoes, chopped up japs, chilli powder, Mark's dried smoked habs he gave me at the fall bash, and (close your eyes you chilli purist down there in Texas) a can of Brooks hot chilli beans. I normally roast a few red bell peppers but didn't have time so I just went with what I had. I was one of only six contestants and the judges were all family members or coworkers of the other contestants. Of the other five pots of chilli entered, four of them were totally bland and two of those were white chicken chilli. The fifth chilli had some kick to it and I liked it. It had a little sweetness to it yet it still had fire that would linger a little. The only drawback to this fifth chilli was, IMHO, it was too thin and made with ground beef. When it came time to announce the winners I figured I had wasted my time because I kept hearing people say how spicey my chilli was. A couple of people didn't even taste my chilli because of the spicey comments of others. The 3rd place winner was announced and I thought her's was the second most bland of the others; 2nd place was announced and she had entered one of the chicken chilli's which was my least favorite. I knew now that there was no way in hell I was going to win. Show's how much I know. Even though it was a small unorganized event, it still feels good to win. The organizers of this first time cookoff admitted they had no idea on how to run this but plan on making it an annual event.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

Congrats, Neil! It doesn't matter how organized the thing was - it was a good cause (I'm a Relay for Life team captain) and strangers liked your chili! Good on ya.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Congratulations Neil,sounds like You had a good time for a Very Worthy Cause,and a Winner too !!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Way to go Neil!!! We have the same type of cookoff here in Flint for the Fire Department. It is next week and I am not able to attend this year. I will be out of town.

Good work Neil!!
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I dont know of any around here sounds like fun
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats on the win, and doing something for a really good cause. I can put my puritanical views aside for a good cause

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
Ron_L

Good job, Neil! Do you get a chili pepper crown now?

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L
Good job, Neil! Do you get a chili pepper crown now?
Ya just beat me to it Ron.
I was thinking a bowl turned upside down with some blue feathers would be appropriate

Great job Neil!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn
Ya just beat me to it Ron.
I was thinking a bowl turned upside down with some blue feathers would be appropriate

Great job Neil!!!!!!!!!!!

TIM

Wouldn't dangling chilli peppers be more apropriate?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
bbqbull

Congrats Neil on your win. Ive never done a chili contest but they have a very big one here in Lansing every year. Seems a certain bunch of firefighters make the hottest chili on earth and they win every year.

I know of a contest at my wifes work, I whipped up a batch and she re-adjusted the seasonings and she took 2nd. The person who took first place had made their chili volcano hot.

Seems thats how chili contests go and I surely cant figure out why.

Mike

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.
Founding member of Operation Bbq Relief.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Congrats Neil!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller pro offset X 2
Brinkman Gourmet Smoker
7-N-1 r2d2 looking cooker(on loan never to be returned)
Slightly bent Weber kettle
Scratch and dent wally world Uniflame kettle
new link to new musical adventure coming soon!!!!
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #12
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

That's great Neil, and organized or not it definitley feels alot better to win! I need to make some chili now.
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote