Prime Brisket's At Wal-Mart

B

Bigjim4x

I just ran across 4 prime briskets at wal-mart for $1.38lb. I asked the guy to check in the back to see if there were more. He brought out the case that they came out of and it said USDA Select or Higher. The other briskets in the case and all the rest in the back were select. So I bought the 4 and put them in the freezer.

I am not familiar with the grading system on meat. Can you please explain? Maybe from best to worst...thanks
jon

Prime, Choice then Select. It's all about connecting tissue and collegen. You want a nice marbled meat. Prime normally is reserved for restaurants. As expected, select is the cheapest and normally what Wallyworld sells.

Yeah, most supermarkets sell select cut's o' meat... not very good. Publix, however, sells choice cuts and they are usually pretty good. The choice Filet Mignons I buy from Publix are often better than a (supposed) prime Filet from Ruth's Chris...

Is there a large price difference between the grades?
I think that i saw choice at the sams recently
jon

"Large" is subjective, but no, there is not a large price difference between select and choice. Especially when you consider the immense increase in quality. Prime cuts, however, are somewhat pricey.

jonboy said:
Is there a large price difference between the grades?
I think that i saw choice at the sams recently
jon

Jon,
Several types of vendors out there.

"Mass marketers" like Sam's, Wally World, Costco, etc just get a weekly or periodic shipment of brisket. It may be Select, Choice, or (rarely) Prime. They just put it out for sale at their current market price and really don't seem to screen and re-price it for grade.
Several threads here where I and others have bought Choice and Prime at bargain basement prices just by staying alert for the higher grades mixed in with the normal Select. I pay less than $2/lb most of the time.

Some Food Chains and butcher shops order and seperate Choice and Prime meats. They price them accordingly. Normal price around here is $3-5/lb buying them this way.

At the high end, distributers can and will order case lots of Prime for you. Small or split case may be 3 or 4 briskets, full case is normally 6 or 7. You will pay a real premium if they can locate and get the highest quality meat in for you, in most cases. I have been quoted as much as $7-8/lb and declined.

At the really high in is Kobe. I can not compute the price of that beef :redface:

So, when ya find any fine meat of any type at a low price, grab it if you can store it properly.

TIM

Roger what the Kapn said. Pay attention, be alert, and be ready to act when you find a deal. Grab the good stuff and run to your freezer with it.:mrgreen:

All the meat at Sam's is Choice. Now Wallyworld is whatever they get.

I picked up a choice brisket at sams yesterday.
Now I have to figure how to fix it.
The search begins.
jonathan

Jonboy,

You might want to invest in a couple of books: Dr. BBQ's (1st choice), and Paul Kirks. Both have lots of info on techniques as well as some good recipes to help get you started.

I wouldn't mind picking up a few more books. Would you give me the titles of dr bbqs and paul kirks books.
I have Texas Legends, Walsh
Peace.love and barbeque Mike Mills
championship barbeque Karen Putman
Bbq usa, How to Grill Steven R
Barbeque America
A few more smaller
I have plenty of recipes...You are right i need to learn some techniques...

I am trying Paul Kirks Recipe for Briskets.
Ive got the 6# flat in at 190 for 1 1/4 hrs per # around 5:00 I'll hope to be pulling it out of the smoker. Top shelf over the chickens...Not sure if I'm fat up or down...
I put a couple chickens on cola/beer. They are 5#. I think that the temp is lower than recommended. So I'll give them about 4 hrs. I think....

Back to the books...both of those have alot of info on tech????

jon

Yes, Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbeque Cookbook, and Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque both have more than just recipes. They both cover techniques.

Back