MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default Seconds BBQ, Amityville NY

Hi,

I stopped by Seconds BBQ today and picked up their combo plate. It was $19.50 and consisted of a 1/2 rack of baby backs, chopped bbq, 2 sides (I chose collards and mac and cheese) and two pieces of corn bread. I also ordered a side of sliced brisket ($4.50).

With apologies to Sergio Leone, I'm going to start using a review method of "The Excellent, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" as it offers a wider choice for commentary.

The Excellent
The portions were very generous.

The variety of cuisine was wide. In addition to the old standbys, they also had fried chicken, ox tails, jerk chicken and more.

The service was quick and friendly.

The chopped bbq was fun and different. It had a strong 'chuck wagon' taste to it. Sweet, vinegary and very interesting. Non-traditional. Made with chopped pork, I would certainly order this again.

The corn bread was excellent. Moist, flavorful (and very sizeable).

The Good
The collards were interesting, but I would only consider them 'passable'. They seemed to be a bit undercooked and a little dry, but they had a pleasant, fairly mild taste that had a nice lingering heat due to some red pepper flakes.

The ribs were definitely good. They weren't overpowering, and they came dry. It was odd, I couldn't place my finger on why I liked them so much, but I did. Biggest complaint? They were a bit dry and might have been overcooked.

The brisket was finished on the grill (after being smoked with hickory). This resulted in a seared taste which was an odd mix with the strong smoke flavor. I would have preferred it not to be seared so that the two strong flavors wouldn't compete, but it was still good.

The Bad
The mac and cheese was certainly worse than the last time I was there. Very blah. Nothing interesting and it seemed to have been there for quite some time as it was overcooked and congealed.

The Ugly
I didn't get any sauce. Pretty mild complaint. Some dipping sauce would have been nice, but it wasn't needed.

Overall I was very pleased. I had heard widely varying opinions of Seconds and it was nice to try it again to form my own opinion.

Strange, but the first time I was there I much preferred the sides to the meat, and this time it was the reverse. I will give them another shot and hopefully both will be excellent and in balance.

I told them about the brethren and I hope that they pop in.

Hope this helps!

Eric
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #2
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks I'll have to stop by and try it
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Went there today to check it out. Had a brisket sammie. It was $4.50 and was served in a styro box on a $.30 hamburger bun and nothing else. Maybe 4 short slices of beef.

Sammie was soggy but the meat was OK. Had no smoke ring and was more like pot roast than brisket. It was sliced too thick and had lots of fat.

Also, the woman/owner behind the counter was very unfriendly. Said she uses a cookshack. Go figure.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote