UDS Slump

DjPorkchop

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Long time since my last post. I had a catastrophic failure on my PC and just got going again recently. Glad to be back in action. Hope everyone is doing well!

Anyhow, main point of post, I seem to be in a lump with my UDS. Old leaky I have drafting issues with so it is down right now for remodeling. My Big Poppa drum I just seem to be in a major slump.

I still light my fire the same way as always. Coiled up newspaper sprayed with cheap cooking spray and a chimney with 7 or 8 decent sized lumps of coal. I let it get good and ashed and then dump it on my coal basket.

As soon as the heat gets about 25 degrees from my target range I start closing it down appropriately. Now that worked great for a long time and recently (last couple months) that is not the case. If I let it get to hot to set a good coal bed, it gets way hot and stays hot unless I choke it and then I get a smolder which leads me in to point number 2.

If I do it my normal way by shutting it down 25 degrees early, it seems all I get is a good smolder going. Crappy nasty smelling smoke. I am still using red bag Royal Oak lump.

Not sure what my issue is lately. Fortunately enough, I can still operate my good old trusty kettle with ease! :becky:

I actually have similar issues with my BPS drum so I'm interested in the feedback you get. Mine will typically settle in around 275 no matter how I try to start it. There is nothing wrong with cooking at 275 so I just roll with it but it does creep over 300 if I don't keep a close eye on it.

Hi Mc

Yeah I don't mind 275 at all. I roll with it. I got caught up in the 225 bit when I first started but quickly got many virtual slaps here due to it and I finally saw the light :-D If I drift up to 300 I don't sweat it. But I don't prefer any hotter.

As we speak, my drum has been lit for almost an hour and a half and it is now settled at 250 give or take. Nice looking coal bed as I put the ribs on. I battled through the smolder this time but normally I get stuck in a rut and can't get out either way other than really hot and fast. With my disability, I can't stand long enough to keep up with hot and fast so semi low and slow works for me. I hope I can get a grip on this soon. It worked wonders for me for a long time with temp control out of this world and as I say for the last few months, I question my abilities to run a drum anymore.

Just a thought but maybe the manufacturer changed something with the way the produce the charcoal. Just thinking out loud here.

I have not been happy with Royal Oak for a little while but I still use it. Not sure if that is the issue or not. The one thing I know for sure the problem is not is the drum. It has great draft the way BP has had it engineered.

Maybe I am not letting the starter coal get ashed enough? That is far fethched but I guess could be the culprit, but it is heating up just fine, It is when I close the lid, open the daisy all the way and adjust my intakes. Maybe I am adjusting to much at once. Rarely to never do I cook with more than 1 hole out of 8 exposed. It runs 245-250 all day long configured that way.

On a side note, the humidity has been really bad this spring. The issues I am having now, I normally fight later on in the summer when the humidity levels are out of control. I try to keep my coal and all wood as dry as able. As I was saying, process has stayed the same nothing has changed, but different results this year.

Thats what I have been thinking Smitty.

I burnt a basket of bricks a couple weeks ago and shot through 8 lbs in 4 or 5 hours at around 300 degrees, but I didn't have the issues I have been having as of late using the lump. I was shocked at how fast it burnt the bricks compared to the lump . In my old leaky drum I can squeeze a good 12 hours out of a 8 lb load on a good day.

I do the complete opposite with my UDS (granted I don't use lump just because I like the density I can get with KBB better). I light a full chimney worth of coals and pour on top. It usually starts out around 330. I close my air intakes and exhaust 90% and it gently drops. When I get to 10-15 below my target I add my meat and that time with the lid off usually results in a 10-15 degree bump and I am settled in. I typically cook at 300 but have used this method for 275 and 250. Haven't gone lower than that but not sure how it will work.

What does the bottom of your drum look like? Grease can trap ash and build up and this will prevent the airflow you want or used to get. I scrape out the bottom of mine every few cooks. Those cheap fire place shovels are easy to bend and make great grease/crud scoopers for a drum.

If it is not that, i would check my fuel. Switch it up like smitty said, at least that will eliminate charcoal type as a cause.

Good Luck, let us know what you find.

Back