喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #61
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Man I forgot this one and probably shouldn't admit it but what the fark.

I made a fool of myself the 2nd time I ever used my chimney starter. I kept hearing you guys rave about a chimney starter so I bought one.

Well, the first time I used it things went well. I had never seen one used before so I was on my own. I read the directions on the wrapper (somewhat) and it said to use this wrapper to start the first fire. So I pulled off the wrapper and shoved it inside (Yes inside) then I loaded the briqs on top of it and lit it. It worked fine! man I was impressed!

So I had some friends out the next wknd and I whipped out my almost new chimney. I shoved some newspaper down inside and loaded the briqs on top. Farkin thing just smoldered and never would get going. I got pissed. Kept telling my friends this thing is the cats ass and it gets briqs ready in 15 minutes. They just shook their heads. I finally gave up and lit my briqs the old fashion way. I was embarrased and pissed!!

My friends still to this day wont let me live that one down.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2007, 09:01 PM   #62
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Too much smoke. Billowing white smoke. The more the better. Close the exhaust some to let the smoke build. WRONG. I learned from a book using the soaked wood chips method and thought I knew what I was doing. This was 25 years ago and probably several thousand pounds of barbecued meat later I can admit this now.

BTW, I fuddled in the dark for years. Then I found the Brethren. My Que-ducation has increased exponentially since.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:51 AM   #63
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

Temps seem to be my weak spot. I was using a ecb and finally thought I had it figured out. Was bragging (bragging mod always backfires) about getting right at about 25 degrees outside. Next cook was about 40 out and I almost burned the insulation blanket right off the smoker.

Now I am learning a new offset smoker. Trying to learn not to put too much lump in at a time. Fire, fire, fire, temp, temp temp!!!! Oh yeah, the having people wait to eat thing can get to be a pain too!!!

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #64
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Made a mistake yesterday. Dont think that since you bought a brand new smoker, with a brand new thermo, that said thermo is calibrated. It wasnt and since I dont peek we had overcooked food. Love the smoker, kinda pissed at the "made in China" thermo.
Still good food and everyone raved, but I know they were being just being kind.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2007, 10:36 AM   #65
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale P
Made a mistake yesterday. Dont think that since you bought a brand new smoker, with a brand new thermo, that said thermo is calibrated. It wasnt and since I dont peek we had overcooked food. Love the smoker, kinda pissed at the "made in China" thermo.
Still good food and everyone raved, but I know they were being just being kind.
Dale, pitch the China made crap and get yourself one of these: http://www.spicewineironworks.com/Me...egory_Code=acc

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan

Old 03-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #66
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Well umm I a well. OK next question!
Dont make me the bad guy!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #67
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale P
Well umm I a well. OK next question!
Dont make me the bad guy!
LOL! You can calibrate that one.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:10 AM   #68
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

And I will before the next cook. Problem solved!

Old 03-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #69
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

I just reminded myself yesterday of one of my rookie mistakes because I did it again(!)

When you're seasoning your pit, make sure it's situated over something or someplace where grease stains won't make a difference!

I fired my pit up yesterday to season it for this season . . . and forgot to have it OFF of the patio. I wound up with a few minor stains before I rolled it over into the grass - so nothing too bad - but paying attention to this will make the wifey happier!
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #70
Brauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by QansasjayhawQ
When you're seasoning your pit, make sure it's situated over something or someplace where grease stains won't make a difference!
Thanks for this post Q. When I seasoned my pit it was in the driveway and I didnt notice the dripping. I keep it stored in my shop and I roll it out into the drive each time I use it. But, I'll be moving it to a patio soon. Thanks

Old 03-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #71
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

this is a great thread

some made me smile and some made me say i have been there

I for got to clean my pit between contes and had an greass fire break out in my pit we had four foot flames comming out the doors of the smoker we were throwing beer on the flames and any thing that we could find needless to say everything was over cooked with an burnt beer taste

york
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #72
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Not you York!!! Glad you joined the group!! And as for you Dale---- Don't ever trust your thermometer!! I calabrate ours every 3 cooks!! Because I can!! They are good thermometers but, you still have to be the master of your domain!! Check and know!! Just a personal note--- Anyone that I directly compete against-- I adjust the temps just a little to get the advantage!! Just kidding.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #73
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I have been "hanging back" on this thread--kinda "see where it goes"

I feel that the vast majority of the errors are "airflow" related for us new guys!
I/we have screwed up some prime meat (including Kobe Brisket) because the airflow through the cooker was restricted!

Airflow restriction comes on both ends of the cook.
Fires need to be raised off the floor of the firebox to allow air under/in/around the fire for complete and clean combustion.

From there, air needs to freely flow to the exhaust.
If you put a "honkin' brisket" right up under the exhaust port, or if you load any shelf "really, really" full--you will shut down the airflow!

So, most of the "boo-boos" I have done, and most of the "Help Me Now" posts here--go back to airflow!

For those with "air restricted cookers" like WSM, Stumps, Spice, Backwoods, etc--it is still the same. Ya need a clean path for the air, then you restrict the intake (not the exhaust unless really needed) to control temps.

I guess what I am trying to say is---LOOK TO AIRFLOW FIRST if temps and all do not make sense.

Just a thought!

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #74
Kevin

Tim, don't know if you remember it, but you helped save one of my cooks with this exact advice. I had packed the Smoke King too full and I was actually restricting the air flow with too much meat in there. Did a little rearranging to accommodate better air flow and the temps climbed right to where I wanted it to be.

Thank you for that.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #75
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Tim, don't know if you remember it, but you helped save one of my cooks with this exact advice. I had packed the Smoke King too full and I was actually restricting the air flow with too much meat in there. Did a little rearranging to accommodate better air flow and the temps climbed right to where I wanted it to be.

Thank you for that.
Ah Yes--those were "the days"

Thanks,

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fire Control, First Time, Mistake, Tip