עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-04-2007, 08:40 AM   #46
jsimonson0
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

So 'splain me this:

How does one "control the smoke" when one is cooking with wood? Controlling the heat, I get. Is having several types of wood available the answer?
jsimonson0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 12:13 PM   #47
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think you'll find that my rookie mistakes will be found in the Roadmap section .....talk about a green horn! But these brothers brought me through and taught me the art of low and slow.......

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #48
Harbormaster

J,
When cooking with straight wood (y'all correct me if I'm wrong) controlling smoke and controlling temp are hand in hand. You need to keep a fire that is small but hot. This allows undesirable chemicals in the smoke to burn, while having the temps in the cook chamber low, where you want them. If you have a bigger, cooler fire, the smoke will be white and contain a lot of crap you don't want on your meat won't get burned off.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 2 SJPs ( DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #49
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Of course there's the BIG HOT FARKING FIRE that you get sometimes - which tends to clean all the oil and grease out of your rig in a hurry, taking paint and the original shape of the steel with it. Beware that one...

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #50
VGuilford
is Blowin Smoke!

Whats the key? More lump coal and less wood? Or vise versa?
www.moocowbbq.com
KCBS CBJ
Texas Smoker
Oklahoma Joe Original
Vermont Castings Gasser
Turkey fryer
Little Smokey Joe
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MoFo Chapter
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VGuilford is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #51
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Lump charcoal burns hotter and can get the heat up in a hurry, which is good. Then it's all about keeping a good airflow going to allow for complete burning - and don't throw too much cold wood on at once. Feed it. Also, as you've probably read in countless posts here, pre-heating the wood allows for a cleaner burn too.

Playing with fire - it's a Q thang.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #52
Bigmista

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF
I guess you missed the famous flower pot Q episode. Alton checked the butt with a fork to see if it was done, no internal temp needed.

" Begin checking meat for doneness after 10 hours of cooking time. Use fork to check for doneness. Meat is done when it falls apart easily when pulling with a fork..."

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._23019,00.html
That show started me on my quest for Q.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #53
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista
That show started me on my quest for Q.
I bet Alton would be proud, maybe even shed a tear...

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #54
Sledneck
Time Out

ALways have a backup meal jsut in case, burgers franks chicken cutles pizza whatever
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #55
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimonson0
So 'splain me this:

How does one "control the smoke" when one is cooking with wood? Controlling the heat, I get. Is having several types of wood available the answer?
Same way you do it with any fuel....... be it charcoal, lump, wood or even gasoline, by ensuring that you have the proper air fuel mix. You dont want your pit smoking like a beast anymore than you want your car smoking.

The trick is how much air are you going to supply to the fuel (in this case wood). The more fuel the bigger the fire, the more air the better the fire is what an old timer once told me. That and "seasoned, dry hardwoods" lol

Now the best way that I have found to be able to make a fire like that is by having a few friends come over on a regular basis and drink, eat and critique you while you play with fire.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2007, 05:05 PM   #56
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
Of course there's the BIG HOT FARKING FIRE that you get sometimes - which tends to clean all the oil and grease out of your rig in a hurry, taking paint and the original shape of the steel with it. Beware that one...
Not that you would know anything about this

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314