Shorty's BBQ - South Miami

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
As luck would have it, my hotel here in Miami is a block away from the original Shorty's BBQ in South Miami. So of course I had to stop in for dinner.

http://www.shortysbbq.com/

Interesting place with a great rustic atmosphere. It felt like a BBQ joint should feel. No frills, paper towels on the tables, picnic table style seating, and all but sawdust on the floor. That's about where it ended. The food didn't have a lot going for it.

Had the "beef plate" with a side of beans. Beans were good, but I don't think I've ever had BAD beans. More of a vinegar flavor that what I'm used to in Kansas City. The sauce must of had horseradish in it because I kept thinking it would be good in a shrimp cocktail. :wink: The beef was NOT brisket, was not smoked (must have been LP Q. :-D), tough as leather, and was NOT good. Fries were good... but I wanted good Q. :icon_smil

South Beach?

Give up on the Que and hit the clubs at 2 or 3AM :lol:
Other than "Island Cooking" for food--good luck!

We have a member who can attest to the quality and display of the "stuff"-in the clubs-but he wishes to remain private :lol:
Just to "look" in the clubs--ya know :lol:

Have fun!

TIM

Shorty's

Shorty's is in South Miami, on US1. I grew up on the stuff. It used to be very smoked. Too bad it must have fallen down.

Dovid said:
Shorty's is in South Miami, on US1. I grew up on the stuff. It used to be very smoked. Too bad it must have fallen down.

That's it. Since 1951.

Been to south beach a few times, dont recall anything about food, wasnt on the agenda

Unfortunately - Shorty's is not what it was. It Use to have good to very good Q. Maybe they changed there cooking practices because the place burnt to the ground a couple of times. There is one (excluding Cuban, Haitian and Jamaican places that cook over open fire) great place to get Q in Miami; it's The Pit. It's out on the Trail, right near Krome Ave.

If you are in South Miami, and you like Sushi, there is an amazing place called Matsuri on Bird Rd near Red Rd. Great fish, and not rip-off prices. It's in a strip-center, but don't let that be an issue.

For down and dirty food, there is a hot dog places called Arbetter's on Galloway (SW 87 st) and Bird Rd that makes an amazing chili-dog and great french fries.

Don't forget to take a stroll thru the UM campus :wink:

The_Kapn said:
We have a member who can attest to the quality and display of the "stuff"-in the clubs-but he wishes to remain private :lol:
Just to "look" in the clubs--ya know :lol:
TIM
Ya, but the farker didn't take any farking pictures.:mad:

Bigdog said:
Ya, but the farker didn't take any farking pictures.:mad:

What kinda clubs we talking about here? It is South Beach afterall. :shock: :icon_smil

"Dude looks like a lady - Aerosmith" Mod

Plowboy said:
What kinda clubs we talking about here? It is South Beach afterall. :shock: :icon_smil

"Dude looks like a lady - Aerosmith" Mod
South Beach has some of the best clubs in the world, but given a choice, I'm sitting outside at the pool of the Delano at one of the tables by the bar, with Anna the sweetest little blond Russian girl bringing me double Cuervos on the rocks with lime, and somebody else paying for my drinks. :smile: After last-call at the Delano, it’s off to the Liquor Lounge to have some fun with the two oh-so-naughty bartenders :wink:

RichardF said:
South Beach has some of the best clubs in the world, but given a choice, I'm sitting outside at the pool of the Delano at one of the tables by the bar, with Anna the sweetest little blond Russian girl bringing me double Cuervos on the rocks with lime, and somebody else paying for my drinks. :smile: After last-call at the Delano, it’s off to the Liquor Lounge to have some fun with the two oh-so-naughty bartenders :wink:

Umm, where you at? :twisted: :lol:

Plowboy said:
Umm, where you at? :twisted: :lol:
I wish I was in South Beach (or South Miami); but alas, that's not to be. I lived in Miami for 10-years, and get down there periodically. The last time I was in South Beach was the middle of January. My life expectancy would be lowered greatly if I still lived in Miami. At this point I can get away with about four or five days without too much chromosome damage.

Arbetter's or Matsuri are esay to get to from where you are if you have a car.

FYI - If you are looking for THE (scene) place to go tonight on South Beach, it's Tantra; just don't let them get hold of your black amex.... I'd stick to the Delano pool-side - I hate having to travel with these girls, but it is part of the job. The two on the left are in customer service and the two on the right are in fulfillment. All four are very good at what they do :wink:

Attachments

• ss24.jpg
    ss24.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 22
  • delano.jpg
    delano.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back