Anyone have a good grilled Salmon Recipe?

CopyNPaste

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone have a good grilled Salmon Recipe? Throwing a party and a couple of girls want fish instead.

Smoke that salmon and they'll love it!

I brine mine in about 1qrt of water with 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Brine for 6-8 hours in the fridge. Pull it from the brine, rinse it off in cold water and let it sit uncovered for an hour to form a little pellicle. Dust with brown sugar and paprika and smoke it at 225-250 until the IT is about 145 for rare or 160 for a solid medium. Will take 1-1.5 hours.

Whole family loves this one.

Smoke it. Kosher salt, brown sugar and dill weed. Don't let it get dry.

no matter how great the recipe you get it, its for nothing if you overcook the salmon. the second I see anything over 120 with my thermopen, its done.

Melted butter and perfectly cooked salmon is a religious experience

If you don't have time to prep the salmon, it roasts very nicely too. I'll get a skin on salmon filet and put it skin side down on some foil. Salt and pepper and slice some lemons and lay on top. Put the foil on a medium hot grill for 10-15 minutes depending on how thick the fish is. Take a spatula and portion it then slide the spatula between the skin and the flesh to serve. This is the absolute no fuss way to add some fish to a meal and, as long as you can find good quality salmon, is delicious. It's particularly nice if you've been cooking on the grill all day because you don't have to worry about the salmon sticking and the foil heat shield gives you a bit of a buffer if you're finishing up the rest of the meal.

We like them smoked with Penzys Northwoods rub.

When done, we take the scraps and mix with cream cheese and scallions. serve on crackers as a great appetizer.

I've had salmon a lot of ways and I still prefer it blackened in a hot cast iron pan with some canola oil. Season with SPOG, Old Bay, paprika and thyme. Cook until 130 and it comes out nice and moist every time.

Seasoned the same way, and cooked on the flat side of grill grates over charcoal is a close second. Seems to get a little drier without the oil and pan.

Grill grates upside down grill running 400ish. Season liberally with Lanes Qnami rub. Melt butter on the grates for some nice lube. But meat side down for 3mins and 30seconds then flip. Cook 5mins skin side down. I move indirect then and pull when it hits 120.

I have two favorites for salmon. First blackened topped with pesto and then marinated in jerk seasoning topped with mango salsa.

I usually Mix up some honey, garlic, salt an pepper to rub salmon. My suggestion is.to slice a lemon and lay the salmon on the slices, this prevents the fish from sticking to the grate and adds a nice flavor.

I Make this glaze:

1/3 cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Lemon Zest
Juice from ½ Lemon
1 ½ tsp. Kosher Salt
½ tsp. Black Pepper

Grill indirect at 225 to 250 brushing on glaze every 10 to 15 min. Cook until white protein appears on the surface about 125-140 internal temp.

First salt and pepper both sides of the filet, then Rub the flesh with oyster sauce and squueze lemon juice over the top. Grill skin side down till the fish flakes

first- are you using farm raised salmon or wild? that being said ... do you want to taste salmon or not? I wouldn't bother with farm raised salmon if you have the choice.

at least an hour before cooking soak some planks (doesn't matter if its cedar, oak, hickory, pecan... depends on flavor preference). you can actually make these yourself with the proper tooling.

If you're using wild salmon and like the actual flavor of salmon:

mix real maple syrup, dijon mustard, and some tobasco together in a cup. Portions are only important based on your preferred flavor profile.

pat dry your salmon filet (I like to use 1 pound filets) and sprinkle with rock, kosher, or pink salt (again I prefer pink salt). While patting dry look for the occasional missed bone and remove any odd colored muscle if there is any.

set aside and make the mixture to your preference...its ok to taste with your finger btw.

put the filet(s) in a large zip lock bag and pour about half the mixture on the meat side of the filet in the bag. close it up and put in the fridge. the less fish you want to taste the longer you let the fillets marinate.

set your cooking device to 350-400 and make sure its fully heated.

coat the planks with a good quality olive oil and again sprinkle with the salt you used on your fillets. carefully remove your fillets from the bag and place skin side down on the planks. pour the residual mixture over your fillets. I also crush pecans and coat the fillets at this point. Walnuts will work too, but pecans have a sweeter more mellow flavor.

Put planks in your cooking device and wait 10-15 minutes and pour the remaining mixture that you didn't use on your fillets in the bag over your salmon and continue cooking until done. ofc the timing depends on the thickness of your fillets.

Its been my experience that sweeter gets more initial compliments, but overall people figure out that properly prepared salmon doesn't need much sweet and will talk about it the next time you invite them over. The pecans simply make it look good when roasted and help mellow out the remaining fish flavor that initially puts people off.

btw- you can also use sesame seeds, oats, chia seeds, etc - use your imagination.

This isn't worth 2 shyts in an oven btw. Gas is ok, wood or lump charcoal is preferred.

Last edited:
I like to keep it simple. Coat salmon with olive oil and season with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Grill on on high heat (~450 deg F) until done; starting with skin side down and flip 1/2 way through cook. Done, of course, is fairly subjective...

Olive oil, some cracked pepper and a touch of salt, a sprinkle of Mrs Dash Herb and garlic, then smoke for 45 minutes, turn up and finish at 350 for 10-15 minutes (depends on the thickness of the salmon steaks).

Back