The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #16
jasonjax
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
There is a whole legion of cooks out there that keep temps below 210 in an effort to not lose moisture
I don't know if I'd go so far as to say legion ....

That low and slow on a small flat is most likely going to result in beef jerky unless the cooking humidity is just right, and even then I'm thinking foil would be required at some point.

I cook with a dry cooker so maybe that's why my opinion is such.
jasonjax is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
bam
is One Chatty Farker

What is the goal here?
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #18
Demosthenes9
is One Chatty Farker

Will take quite a long time. Hrs per pound calculation doesn't work on partial flats as the thickness of the brisket determines the cook time, not its weight.

The finished IT will be well under what most of us normally experience. And yes, it will get to probe tender even with that low an IT. The breakdown of connective tissue is a function of temperature over a period of time, or time at temp, same difference.

If I had to guess, if the flat came from an avg sized brisket, he's probably looking at 14-16 hrs.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Demosthenes9 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #19
JeffJ
Knows what a fatty is.

At that temp range? It will never cook through. I remember cooking a 3 pound butt and a 2.5 pound chuck in my kettle at 230 or so. The stall never ended and I had to wrap in order to finish the cook. Your friend's idea might work only as long as he's not wedded to the notion of doing the entire cook in that environment. He'll have to finish wrapped in a hotter cooking chamber. As was mentioned up-thread - unless his goal is to make a grisly beef jerky.
JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #20
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

You'd have to be above 180° as that is were connective tissues starts to break down into collagen. Being it's a flat, not a whole packer you also won't have as much protective fat.

I agree with the others I would go to higher cooking temperature 225 - 250 to prevent it from drying out.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #21
Cook
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Jay

Collagen breaks down below 180.

And to answer a question about my previous post...I'd want it to reach 200 because I'd be cooking above 200. Personal thing. Not needed, for sure...but I have no need to cook that long.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-21-2017, 06:28 AM   #22
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
Ha....good one. Let me tell you my good man...there is ZERO chance I would smoke a brisket at that temp....

I've personally seen Dan in action and tasted his stuff .... you better be at the top of the game when you pull up beside him.... he ain't no joke....... and right beside him is his gorgeous wife!!!!!

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #23
offshore_SoLA
Full Fledged Farker

the dynamics of cooking change at various temperatures. try it at 200-210 and treat it as if you're checking at any other temperature. it'll certainly take longer, but also you won't need to get it to the tender temp that you would cooking at 225.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #24
JWACKS
Knows what a fatty is.

It's common to cook a brisket via sous vide at 160 to 170 degrees. Note that unlike most smoking, the center of the brisket gets up to temp within a couple of hours and then is held there for many hours. It's "cooked" when it gets over about 140 degrees; it's tender when the connective tissue breaks down.
The main differences between sous vide and smoking (other than the smoke) is that hot air won't heat the brisket nearly as fast as hot water, and a brisket can't dry out as much in a vacuum sealed bag.
But the heat transfer rate only means it takes longer to get to temp. Once it's there it doesn't matter whether it is held in hot water or hot air.
If you wrap in foil, then it should retain moisture just like in a sous vide bag.
So if you are cooking at a really low temperature and if most of the time is spent denaturing the proteins, the only difference between cooking a little brisket vs. a big brisket is the time it takes to get up to temperature. Consider that...
I have no doubt it is possible. According to my projections the difference in time between 200 degrees and 175 degrees is huge. I expect it will take nearly 20 hours at 200 and almost 30 hours at 175. Sous vide briskets are commonly cooked for 24+ hrs.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 PM   #25
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

old thread but for giggles I plan to try this at 180° with a full packer.

I have a suspicion that it will take forever with a packer and that the the meat will get probe tender before it exits the stall, which could be a good thing.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #26
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Let us know how it goes, I bet it takes at least 18 hours lol
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #27
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Let us know how it goes, I bet it takes at least 18 hours lol
I was thinking closer to 24 hours.

I'll update the thread when it's done

Old 02-06-2018, 03:00 AM   #28
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

So it’s been almost a week and it’s still smoking?
Masterbuilt ThermoTemp
Weber Q2200
Tejas Smokers Triple Burner Hot Plate
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Blackstone 17" Griddle
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 AM   #29
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I finish that low with good results. I wouldn't start that low, its more a function of timing. I start low to get smoke then raise temps up to render and sizzle some fat and then drop low for finish. If thats overnight its around 200. At those temps things dont move much

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #30
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
So it’s been almost a week and it’s still smoking?

I didn't say when I was going to start the test lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I finish that low with good results. I wouldn't start that low, its more a function of timing. I start low to get smoke then raise temps up to render and sizzle some fat and then drop low for finish. If thats overnight its around 200. At those temps things dont move much
Interesting. I usually start low and then raise the temps to 300 to get some added fat dripping on coals flavor.