Cured TD - Cotto and Mortadella portion

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
With the "Cured" throw down starting last week, I was trying to come up with some ideas on what to do. Now for the throwdown you don't have to cure anything but only use a cured product in your entry.........but what fun is that? I knew I had to get cracking so I grabbed a coulple of butts and got to work. I made several items, but will break them down to different threads to keep things somewhat manageable.

I removed the "money muscle" off of each butt. One to use for capicola (different thread) and the other for coppa (not for the TD). Ran the rest of the meat through the grinder.

Took a couple of pounds of that to use for a cotto salami. Mixed in the spices.

Stuffed in the mixture into a 2 in collagen casing and put that in the fridge over night. The following day, ran it in the smoker with cherry for the smoke until 150 IT. Water bath and back into the fridge until I was ready to use it. Turned out pretty well.

For the mortadella, I took 5 pounds of the meat and ran it through the grinder 4 more times. Between each grind I put the meat back in the fridge, broke down and cleaned the grinder, put the parts in the freezer......it took a while.....:mmph:

I realized that I did not have pistacios and started to make a run to the store and my wife said "why bother?" That was all the arm twisting that I needed to say "Fark it". Mixed all the spices and cubes of fat and stuffed it into a 4 inch casing.

I had thoughts of cold smoking, ultimately decided to just put it in the sous vide. Ice bath then fridge.....

Sliced.

Very happy with the texture although I could have done without the whole peppercorns.

Just two components for my TD entry. To keep from having a huge post, I glossed over several details. If there is something you are curious about, just ask and I will do my best to answer.

This is final end result....thought I would put that on here so if you are curious about it but miss the other posts.

On to the next post....

Is that the mortadella recipe from Olympia provisions? I did that recipe once, and it looked about exactly like yours, but with the nuts. I thought the flavor was spot on, but I didn't get the silky bologna type texture I was hoping for.

Is that the mortadella recipe from Olympia provisions? I did that recipe once, and it looked about exactly like yours, but with the nuts. I thought the flavor was spot on, but I didn't get the silky bologna type texture I was hoping for.

It is.

I think sous vide for the cooking helps a lot with the texture.

Back