Got to break her in...

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
With a super busy family AND passion to cook outdoors as often as possible, I decided that investing in a top quality pellet grill/smoker would serve my family and friends very well for years to come. Took the plunge and bought the 2017 MAK 2 Star. It arrived last week, and got it assembled a couple of days later. It's been a crazy month...with a move to a new home, topped off by my wife breaking her shoulder. Things were calm this past Sunday and I was able to break in the MAK with a couple of racks of spares. 7 hours of low n slow (215-225°). No wrapping. Rubbed with Texas Original rub, spritzed with ACV/Apple Juice every 45-60 mins, and applied MAK's Rum Sauce the last half hour of cook time. They turned out fantastic. Even our SUPER picky 2 year old was enjoying the heck out of them! I think we are gonna get a LOT of good use out of this MAK :)
1cb49de9902164badd5e6b00a21bb659.jpg
0ea4e9db89600469472c45cdc499f066.jpg
b898e44e0360336637602fdca5db5847.jpg
ff483723461dba9acf701c4165f2a1b6.jpg
48884b4503c5092783c7632dbd584135.jpg
ee1d2c9d53cbe93b055eae379961d99b.jpg
187dbcfee621604905890d3a8c85c67f.jpg

Congrats on your new smoker! Those ribs look great!

And now that your daughter knows the wonderful deliciousness of smoked pork, you don't have to worry about her going vegan as a teenager!

Win-win!

Thumbs up on the first cook! It looks like the judge scored your turn in with all 9's.
Congratulations :clap:

Sweet! I'm starting to eye pellet grills. Any insight on why MAK over the other higher end poopers?

That should be a great cooker for a busy family. Ribs look awesome.

Sweet! I'm starting to eye pellet grills. Any insight on why MAK over the other higher end poopers?

Same question here. I'm starting to think I WILL NEVER grow out of my love for gadgets and experimenting. LOL

Very nice PG and the Ribs look like $$$. Hope your wife is feeling better, that has to be extra tough on her with a little one to take care of.

Same question here. I'm starting to think I WILL NEVER grow out of my love for gadgets and experimenting. LOL

Thanks guys! There are definitely other NICE pellet munchers on the market. For me though, after personally looking at what's on the market, and also doing a ton of reading/talking with others, including the manufacturers themselves... MAK was the one that surfaced as the overall winner.

1) The Pellet Boss controller, IMO, blows the competition away!
2) Marine Grade 304 stainless steel means a lifetime of zero rust/paint issues.
3) I really like the funnel Flame Zone setup... a lot! Most pellet grills give you a small grilling area, if one at all. The MAK utilizes the entire cooking surface for grilling.
4) MAK's give off a LOT of beautiful thin smoke.
5) MAK is innovative and continues to move forward with some pretty cool stuff.
6) MAK's customer service is probably some of the best I have ever encountered.
7) Lastly, the Flash Fire igniter is what finally pushed me over the edge. An igniter that should last a lifetime (with a warranty to back it) is an industry first. The igniter is crazy-fast. I literally have smoke within 15 seconds of turning the MAK on, with full flame shortly after.

These were the major reasons for me purchasing the 2 Star :)

Last edited:
Very nice PG and the Ribs look like $$$. Hope your wife is feeling better, that has to be extra tough on her with a little one to take care of.

Thanks for the kind words. Wife is slowly healing... just takes time. You sitting down for this? We have 9 daughters! This shoulder break has been debilitating. Thanking the Lord that we have a ton of support. While I am at work, we have friends/family taking turns Mon-Fri helping with the girls. Then I take over as soon as I walk through the door. It takes a village... and we have a wonderful village :)

Thanks for the kind words. Wife is slowly healing... just takes time. You sitting down for this? We have 9 daughters! This shoulder break has been debilitating. Thanking the Lord that we have a ton of support. While I am at work, we have friends/family taking turns Mon-Fri helping with the girls. Then I take over as soon as I walk through the door. It takes a village... and we have a wonderful village :)

:shocked:

Basically one rib per family member when you cook a rack :razz:

:shocked:

Basically one rib per family member when you cook a rack :razz:

Yep, that's about right. Not all of us were home when I cooked these 2 racks... I got off easy, LOL!

People are usually shocked when they see/hear how many groceries we plow through on a monthly basis.

Congratulations on the new cooker. The ribs look absolutely amazing and who can top the seal of approval from your biggest fan, she sure is a cutie.

Wow! Thanks for the info Robb. Saves me the research when the times comes to bite.

Great cooker and ribs.

I have a Green Mountain Grill Jim Bowie and a Kamado cooker. Not much beats a pellet smoker for convenience. Im smoking much more than I would because getting the smoker on just takes a flip of a switch.

Back