oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default cooking in the cold

Last night I finally tried Thirdeye's lobster recipie and it was fantastik. Temp outside when I threw the the tails on the Weber was 14*. After dinner I added some more charcoal and threw on a 14# packer brisket. Not sure how cold it got last night but right now it is still cooking slowly with outside temp of 18* and lake effect snow.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Is your cooker temp holding steady or are you fighting with it?

Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #3
SloppyQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Cold = Slow smoke, brisket should be good.

Sloppys Backwoods Smokers Comp team
Sloppycreek Comp team
If it's drippin down yer chin it's Sloppy's

KCBS CBJ #9715
Two homemade offset smokers,Two WSMs,One Weber Kettle,One Traeger 075 TEX
One FEC 100
SloppyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Last night I finally tried Thirdeye's lobster recipie and it was fantastik. Temp outside when I threw the the tails on the Weber was 14*. After dinner I added some more charcoal and threw on a 14# packer brisket. Not sure how cold it got last night but right now it is still cooking slowly with outside temp of 18* and lake effect snow.
Neil, Houndog gets all of the credit for the Dwell in the Shell recipe. 'Bout all I did was re-post it here because it is so danged good. It is a real winner and easier than it sounds, glad you liked it. Usually the only complaint is "don't you have more?"

Did you happen to notice during the Barbecue Championship on VS when Dr.BBQ injected those lobster claws? (maybe he did the body too?) I thought to myself that the flavor profile would have been similar to the Dwell in the Shell lobsters.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
gstanle
Got Wood.

Wow, that is cold. Here in Southern California, we start getting frost bite at around 50 degrees.
gstanle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #6
ggriffi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyboy
I can't speak for Neil, but I did a 15lb. pork shoulder yesterday and I used two chimneys and about 6 sticks of hickory. The only problem I had was forgetting to check the logs, the temp was down to about 190. For the most part I was able to keep the temp between 225 and 250. Oh yeah, the temp outside when I started was about 15.

gary

"BassAckwards Bar B Q Co."

PCC 24"X48" Backyard Smoker
Weber Q100
44 qt Bayou Classic
Sears 4 burner gasser w/rotisserie
Weber kettle
Bookers and Coke

I refuse to kiss anything that uses its tongue for toilet paper
ggriffi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyboy
Temp inside the kettle has been holding right around 200*. I add 4-5 Kingsford briquettes about every hour and half. I just checked the meat temp and the flat was at 150* but when I stuck the probe in the point, it when like it was going into warm butter. Reached in and pulled a chunk off the point with my fingers and savored the flavor and tenderness. I separated the point from the flat and started nibbling.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
Neil, Houndog gets all of the credit for the Dwell in the Shell recipe. 'Bout all I did was re-post it here because it is so danged good. It is a real winner and easier than it sounds, glad you liked it. Usually the only complaint is "don't you have more?"

Did you happen to notice during the Barbecue Championship on VS when Dr.BBQ injected those lobster claws? (maybe he did the body too?) I thought to myself that the flavor profile would have been similar to the Dwell in the Shell lobsters.

Sorry I missed that one. I don't get VS on my cable system.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!