cooking in the cold

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Last night I finally tried Thirdeye's lobster recipie and it was fantastik. Temp outside when I threw the the tails on the Weber was 14*. After dinner I added some more charcoal and threw on a 14# packer brisket. Not sure how cold it got last night but right now it is still cooking slowly with outside temp of 18* and lake effect snow.

Is your cooker temp holding steady or are you fighting with it?

Neil said:
Last night I finally tried Thirdeye's lobster recipie and it was fantastik. Temp outside when I threw the the tails on the Weber was 14*. After dinner I added some more charcoal and threw on a 14# packer brisket. Not sure how cold it got last night but right now it is still cooking slowly with outside temp of 18* and lake effect snow.

Neil, Houndog gets all of the credit for the Dwell in the Shell recipe. 'Bout all I did was re-post it here because it is so danged good. It is a real winner and easier than it sounds, glad you liked it. Usually the only complaint is "don't you have more?" :lol:

Did you happen to notice during the Barbecue Championship on VS when Dr.BBQ injected those lobster claws? (maybe he did the body too?) I thought to myself that the flavor profile would have been similar to the Dwell in the Shell lobsters.

Wow, that is cold. Here in Southern California, we start getting frost bite at around 50 degrees.

Puppyboy said:

I can't speak for Neil, but I did a 15lb. pork shoulder yesterday and I used two chimneys and about 6 sticks of hickory. The only problem I had was forgetting to check the logs, the temp was down to about 190. For the most part I was able to keep the temp between 225 and 250. Oh yeah, the temp outside when I started was about 15.

gary

Puppyboy said:

Temp inside the kettle has been holding right around 200*. I add 4-5 Kingsford briquettes about every hour and half. I just checked the meat temp and the flat was at 150* but when I stuck the probe in the point, it when like it was going into warm butter. Reached in and pulled a chunk off the point with my fingers and savored the flavor and tenderness. I separated the point from the flat and started nibbling.

thirdeye said:
Neil, Houndog gets all of the credit for the Dwell in the Shell recipe. 'Bout all I did was re-post it here because it is so danged good. It is a real winner and easier than it sounds, glad you liked it. Usually the only complaint is "don't you have more?" :lol:

Did you happen to notice during the Barbecue Championship on VS when Dr.BBQ injected those lobster claws? (maybe he did the body too?) I thought to myself that the flavor profile would have been similar to the Dwell in the Shell lobsters.

Sorry I missed that one. I don't get VS on my cable system.

Back