The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default L-P-Que Bbq Championship-$75,000.00

Times are changing in BBQ land! We, along with KCBS, are proud to be announcing a different breed of contest. It is the new Competitor Series cook-off that KCBS will support this coming season. Exciting times as the Society allows for the plowing of new ground by edorsing a different style of contest. The new Competitor Series allows an organizer to set some new rules, yet still gain contest backing from the largest sanctioning body in the world. KCBS Reps will oversee the contest so that the revised rules are followed by all the teams involved. A very exciting concept that will bring additional interest to competition bbq and help the sport grow.

So do you want to hear more?

I have been contracted by Sugar Grove Custom Cars, LLC., located in Dallas Center, Iowa, to organize a KCBS Competitor Series BBQ Championship. This contest will be open to teams that use approved LP gas pits. Approval will require the cooking equipment to have electronic ignition, thermostat control capability, and automatic gas shutoff should the flame go out. In otherwords use your gas cooker as it was designed to be used by the manufacturer. We will
cook the usual four main meat categories (Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket) that KCBS has always sanctioned, but in this contest we will eliminate the use of all types of garnish. A simple contest
with simple rules. The contest name will be The L-P-Que BBQ Championship.

The contest will be held in Mt. Pleasant, Iowa on the grounds where the Midwest Old ThreshersReunion is held each year. Check out their site at www.oldthreshers.com. The contest will be held in the main part of the RV Park. The dates are June 15th and 16th, 2007 with provision being made for early arrivals or late departures. The 60 acre RV Park offers 30 and 50 amp electrical service,water, a dump station, restrooms and showers.

Want more exciting news?

Being offered is the largest prize package ever presented in KCBS history at a single contest. The Grand Prize winner will receive a $20,000 Harley Davidson Motorcycle plus $15,000 in cash. This would make the GC prize package of $35,000 also historic! The contest will award over $75,000 in prizes and money. Money will be paid down through 15 places and trophies will be awarded through 5 places. Also, the teams sending in their entries by an early bird registration date will receive raffle tickets for a drawing to win an Ole Hickory CTO gas cooker valued at $6,650!

There will only be a limited number of teams taken, so don't run out of gas before you enter this history making BBQ Championship!!!! To receive more details contact Arlie Bragg at 615-758-8749 or Arlieque@comcast.net. Note: preliminary approval given, but final
approval is pending formal KCBS board action.
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Arlie,

This is not directed at you. This makes me a bit nervous. I have spent much money equiping myself to compete in KCBS sponsored events. When I purchased my equipment the KCBS rules were "Wood and /or Charcoal". Now it seems a contest could offer a little more prize money, declare themselves a Competitor Series Cookoff, with the sponsor picking what we cook on and the KCBS will Sanction the contest. If the sponsor says the competitors can compete with gas fired Old Hickory pits only. My large investment in equipment would be useless. Way to go KCBS.......not!

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

This is a different series and you can keep cooking as you always have, no problems. Nothing has changed!

Arlie
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

I see it as better spot for the thermostats.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
Kung Fu BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

sarcasm> Oh this is the dawning of dark times. Imagine segregation of the cooking field; the gasers over here, the woodies over there. Late night scare tatics by the old school. Severed gas lines... SABATOGE!!!!!!!!!!! The fancy gasers trying to push progression on us wood burners. Are weapons of defence allowed? I'll have to put barbwire around my lot. Bunkers on the front and back. Snipers flanking the sides. A dark age indeed. </end sarcasm

Brinkman Cimmaron
Weber
BBQ Grillware

Last edited by Kung Fu BBQ; 02-16-2007 at 04:08 PM..
Kung Fu BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Im waiting for parboiling to be legal. Them you will see real bbq.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
G$
is One Chatty Farker

So, the FIRST "LP based cooker" KCBS contest is also the "largest prize package ever presented in KCBS history at a single contest."

Say what you will, this sends a message.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Easy folks this not the end of BBQ as you know it. There is room in the world for other style of cookers and competition formats.

Wood and charcoal contests will continue to dominate the competition world.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #9
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Wood and charcoal contests will continue to dominate the competition world.
Hi Jim, in your opinion: By what measure, and for how long?

(By this I mean, are you saying there will always be more coal contests, or the overall yearly prize pool will be greater, or something else.)
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

G$
Always... What we do today isn't how it has always been done.
I don't change as a bad thing but the market will dictate way things go.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #11
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Jim,

What it is saying to me is that the KCBS is willing to bend the rules for any sponsor who has alot of money.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
Fredbird
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow! It's hard to believe KCBS would be involved in such a contest.
18" WSM
Weber One-Touch Gold
Aussie Gasser
MOFO Chapter
KCBS CBJ

"BEER is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy". - Benjamin Franklin
Fredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are they supplying the pits?

I love ya Arlie but I don't think anyone here uses gas pits and I never even heard of that manufacturer before. The fact that you are promoting means it will probably be a well run contest but I don't see any of the Brethren (and I'm probably way out of line speaking for everyone) buying one of these pits and traveling to Iowa to compete.

The thing I love about competing is that the cooker doesn't matter. It's the cooks skills that count. A guy cooking in a barrel or a WSM could beat a guy cooking on a $20000.00 smoker on any given day. If I'm reading what you posted about the contest correctly, this contest is who can cook the best on this particular gas cooker that we are promoting.

There is a probably a place for contests like this but I don't think the KCBS is the organization that should be sanctioning it.

And it also seems like only the people who afford these smokers are the only people that qualify to win this huge prize. Hardly seems fair.

Again, this is just my opinion and it is not a personal attack.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 06:24 PM   #14
ggriffi
Full Fledged Farker

I would agree with everything that mista said.

gary

"BassAckwards Bar B Q Co."

PCC 24"X48" Backyard Smoker
Weber Q100
44 qt Bayou Classic
Sears 4 burner gasser w/rotisserie
Weber kettle
Bookers and Coke

I refuse to kiss anything that uses its tongue for toilet paper
ggriffi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #15
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

What's next? Maybe a contest that we can turn in carry out bbq from our favorite restaurants and win!
We can heat it back up in a microwave before turn in time to ensure that the food is hot.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote