The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
rexster314
Full Fledged Farker

Default Grill mats from Amazon

Ok, so on a lark, I bought a couple of the grill mats on Amazon. Not a big cost so figured I wouldn't lose much if they turned out to be not as advertised.
Last night I grilled a thick cut pork chop for her, and a prime NY strip for me. I seasoned them that afternoon with some new Sucklebusters steak seasoning then marinated them in my Weston chamber vac. Then back in the fridge till ready to cook.
So I started the PK 360 up, put one of the grill mats on the grill and threw some sliced onions tossed in olive oil on the mat. Withing a couple of minutes, the onions had started sizzling like on a hot pan. Tossed them around to get even cooking. I had put the mat not directly over the fire at first but then pulled it directly over the fire. Onions were really going by this time.
Long story short. The mat performed as advertised, no sticking. Onions turned out great, not caramelized, but very soft and had a nice faint smoky flavor we both liked.
Oh yeah, the pork chop and prime strip turned out wonderful, with nice grill marks and great flavor

Tried to insert Amazon link, but all it does is give a generic Amazon link
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
qman
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the report. I wondered about these grill mats.
I am guessing they are not made in the USA. A quote from Amazon's discription:
"The Grill Mats can be allowed you to cooking like a chef, leaving perfect grill marks and preventing even the smallest morsels from falling through the grates.It also can be used on the microwave oven"

Your steak and pork chop sound wonderful.
Why no steak for your wife, you punishing her or something?

Edit to add: The link took me directly to the grill mats.
Thanks

Old 03-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
rexster314
Full Fledged Farker

My wife would rather eat a nice pork chop instead of steak. I'm fairly certain all these mats are made in Asia. I didn't try to put grill marks on the meat using the mat, but I did put the mat directly over the fire to complete grilling the onions. It was like using a hot skillet is how I would describe using the mat. Since it was the first time using this mat, I considered it sacrificial if it melted or burned. I took it off the cold grill this morning and used a nylon scrubby with dish soap and it cleaned up beautifully
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
EricD
is one Smokin' Farker

Try these: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49397726,d.amc
I've only used them on the gassers, but as advertised! I love 'em
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie, The Big Easy, Infrared temp gun
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
EricD
is one Smokin' Farker

Ooops, link is their site, just click on the mats.
22" Weber Kettle black, 18" Weber Kettle black,Weber Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Weber Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza Oven, Maverick ET-732, ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mats, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie, The Big Easy, Infrared temp gun
EricD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Heres the grill mats on amazon.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
BBQ Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

I was wondering about these as well. I may have to invest. I would assume they would work over a fit pit as well.
thecanuckfoodie.wordpress.com/
BBQ Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
BBQ Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

As coinkidinkily as things come, I was at Costco this weekend and found these.

So I couldn't resist. $25 for 3.

This is the size before trimming down.

On my small apartment sized grill, I just trimmed the depth and left the width alone, which covered about 70% of the grill surface. Unfortunately it was crazy windy, so the mat did have it's challenges. When I opened the lid, the side would want to flip up. Once I got the burgers on, it helped, but the wind made it really difficult to get the temps up.

The mat did save the bacon though. Opened the lid and a gust of wind blew the bacon off the burgers before I could put the protective cheese layer on. The bacon landed on the mat, which most likely saved it from going past the grate into the burners.

Turned them into an open faced burger waffle using leftover waffles from breakfast.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
Norm
Babbling Farker

Looks darn good to me!
White Thermapen
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
BBQ Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

Clean up was real easy, just warm soapy water. They recommend storing flat or rolled up. Max temp was 550 degrees I believe. No grill marks, but that may have been related to the wind.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #11
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Not for me. I see no carmelization (crust) or grill marks on those burgers.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:21 AM   #12
sleebus.jones
Take a breath!

To me, this ain't grillin', it's fryin'.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

My buddy bought some of those from one of those booths at the State Fair. You know, next to the Sham-WOW and the green Japanese bread knives.

I used it once. It was ok, but I'm not sure the advantage over normal grilling. And especially since I bought a griddle grate for my Weber gasser, that covers most anything.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #14
Norm
Babbling Farker

I use mine for seafood. Works great for fish, shrimp and lobster. I also do veggies on them.

Clean up is really easy.
White Thermapen
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #15
pigville porkers
is one Smokin' Farker

I use mine to hold meat loaf on the rec tech... other than that I dont use them at all