ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Good Old BSKD

I know that this site has really moved away from being a Bandara worship site, as we have grown exponentially. However, this morning, I am cooking 4 butts and a couple tins of beans in my old BSKD, and the thing is working like a dream. It is 19 degrees, but no wind, and the thing is running at 230 degrees, steady as a rock. As I had only used her a couple of times over the last year, I had almost forgotten how much fun this beast is to run. I guess I'll keep her around for a few more years.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
BSKD Gretchen
22.5 OTG Samantha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2007, 06:16 AM   #2
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

I have never had the Pleasure of smoking with anything but My Smoke King...I Love it....Maybe someday I will move to something else...but for Now The BSKD serves me quite Nicely !!

Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Have fun, Noah! Stay warm.....Every time I fire up Wubby, I walk past the ECB and the Char-Griller and I think "some day I oughta fire up one of them", but it doesn't seem to happen.....

Oh, and pics please!

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Nice bike Bob.

And those are the same wood chunk bags I get at Menards. You?

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Nice bike Bob.

And those are the same wood chunk bags I get at Menards. You?
Thanks willkat about the Bike...it is a 1985 FLHTC...the wood chunks are from My Local "Rural King" store...we have a Menard's too....I will check the pricing there too...$3.99/10lbs. at Rural King...all Nice size chunks too.
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #6
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I've been playing with my UDS so much lately that the BSKD must have been feeling left out. I had both going last weekend and you are right... I really enjoyed using the BSKD again. It is more work but it sure was nice!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

Old pits are just like old friends.

May not see them all the time, but when ya do, its just like goin home.

I went without using a bandera for a few years, and when I fired it up to use for the first time, i was reminded why I stuck with the bandera for so long. They really are great pits.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
swamprb

I saw one on CL and went to take a look at it and it was in pretty sad shape. The cook chamber door had big gaps, the firebox vent was missing, and firebox lid wouldn't close all the way. The whole thing was off kilter and I said it looked like it fell off a truck-the guy didn't say anything so I imagine it did! The way you guys talk this baby up I wish it was something that I should be tinkering with and getting up and smokin' again. I passed on it but now I'm having second thoughts.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
FireBrewer
On the road to being a farker

Took a look at one today at BassPro, they had it for $300. Just need to convince the boss I need more cooking area. My birthday and Father's Day are coming up soon!

CGK
Proud Papa of two future brewers/BBQers
[/FONT]
FireBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Jeff_in_KC

I don't think I've used my BSKD in close to a year. It's either the Spicewine when I am at a contest or have a lot to cook at home or I use the two WSMs. I was thinking of selling the rust bucket but who knows? Maybe if time permits this summer, I'll refurbish the thing.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #11
Norcoredneck

I have plans for mine. After I receive my shipment from Missouri I plan on strippng the cooking chamber down and building a frame out of 2" tubing. I have an old heavy Kenmore fridge and a 6" pipe. I am going to try and convert it to a Stumps style gravity feed for a project. Could work, could be another thing for my wife to bellyache about.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-20-2007, 07:30 PM   #12
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
I was thinking of selling the rust bucket but who knows? Maybe if time permits this summer, I'll refurbish the thing.
Please don't disrespect old friends Jeff. I know that you've posted fondly of your's in the past. I would love a spice box too. We just can't all have one. I enjoy the time I get to spend with my Smoke King. Laborious as it is, he is still my friend. From this point forward "he" will be referred to as "fatty". That's what he get's to cook most every time he is fired up. I have neglected "fatty" for way too long. The weather is inclement. It will be for a few more weeks. Then my friend "fatty" and I will return to our old routine of weekend get togethers. Got many home brewed fattys in the freezer to try. I very much enjoy the time I get to spend out back with "fatty". We get to play with fire and learn how to make "sweet blue". That time is priceless to me. Sweet blue in the air. SRV or whatever else suits my mood is singing out through the speakers. I'm living man. That "is" my happy place.

Unread 02-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #13
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Well said Kevin! I don't use mine as much as I used to, but every time I do, I appreciate what a nice little cooker it is. I really did enjoy getting to know her again last week.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
BSKD Gretchen
22.5 OTG Samantha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Sheesh, and here I thought my $125.00 Chargriller offset(which I added a nice outter thermometer to) was the cats ass untill I started seeing what all of you use. "Spicewines", "Bandera's", "BKSD's", "WSM's" (Tumpedovers massive rig not withstanding) et. al.

I've become an ECB man. No fancy bells and whistles, no thermometer. Just the minion method, and 4 hours of good heat and smoke. And alot of beer....
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote