ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4
Default ***Update *** Dr. BBQ Cooking Class.

OK Folks!
Welcome to the
BBQ Brethren Exclusive
Dr. BBQ Real Deal Cooking Class
We are locked in and full up with 25 attendees.

The Roster.
2 Fat pollacks Team 4, MilitantSquatter 1, Bigbarry 1, BBQesq 2, Cues your daddy 2, Kirk 2, Muzzlebrake 1, BBQMafia 2, Sledneck 1, DJmarko 1, Westexbbq 1, Parrothead 2, WillyB 2, CtSmokehouse 1, Wannabqueen 1, Porky 1

The class will be at:

S.E.A Building (Grillkings)
1230 Hempstead Turnpike Franklin Square, NY 11010
Saturday March 31 and April 1.

I will be arriving around 11-12 to set up. Class starts at around 3. Arrive early to get settled, get acquainted, and have some fun before we get down to business.

Bring whatever you think you may need for a class. We will supply rubs, sauces, trays, foil, bags, turning boxes, paper goods, etc..

You bring knives, cutting boards and other supplies you think you may need. A table for yourself would be helpful. Bring CHAIRS FOR YOUR BUTTS.

The venue is an office building, we have the cafeteria area to stay warm, bathrooms, water, etc.. but will be cooking in the parking lot. I am not sure if Doc will prefer to teach inside, or outside under the tent. I think weather and temps will dictate that.

I will have a couple 10x20 walled tents(heated). We will have 2 Lang 84's, a couple of Spicewine, a Klose BYC and MOAB(my Klose vertical). Anyone who wants to bring their own pit is encouraged to do so.

I will be cooking dinner for Saturday Night.. (Probably Italian)

Breakfast will be our own BBQ, Biscuits/Bagels and Coffee.

You can bring your own meats, or we will order them for you.

You can cook all 4 categories or just the ones you want.

If you want us to supply the meats, it will be purchased thru Willy B's BBQ Restaurant and passed on to you at cost.

For tracking, please post in this thread your exact meat orders, even if your bringing your own, post something to that effect.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Looking forward to it Phil. One question: In order to get the full hands-on benefit from the class, can or should each attendee (such as myself and my partner) bring/order meat for themselves, i.e. 2 briskets for us, 2 butts, etc...? Would we have room to cook that much meat?

Unread 02-13-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
BBQchef33

I dont believe room will be a problem, especially if more of the locals bring their pits.

i would think that everone would cook their own stuff, but that is entirely up to you guys. Its one of the reasons we did BYOM. That way, if you just want to do one or 2 you can, and dont have to go thru the expense of all the extra meats.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 02-14-2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

When do you expect the class to be over on Sunday, my teammate needs to catch a flight home so we are trying to plan a time for that.
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
BBQchef33

I believe doc said early afternoon.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 02-14-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

I would like Willy to supply me with whatever meat is required in all categories. Thanks!

I will be bringing two WSMs and will probably not need shared space (thanks, though for the offers!)
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
biffleg
is One Chatty Farker

I must have been sleeping when this was being discussed

Hey Phil -

Do you ever foresee one of these classes coming to the Southeast for us North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and/or Florida brethren?
biffleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

[QUOTE=BigBarry]I would like Willy to supply me with whatever meat is required in all categories. Thanks!

Same here please!

I will need cooker space please!

Can't wait!!!

Thanks.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

Any idea what the prices would be like from Willy B's? I really appreciate that the wholesale price is being offered to us but I was wondering what wholesale NYC prices are like compared to what I pay around here. A PM would be fine. Thanks.

Unread 02-14-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Kirk,

The price of beef is not a constant. If you are concerned, buy it yourself locally. It will prevent hard feelings.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
BBQchef33

yeah, prices change from week to week. It would be to early to answer anyway. Ive seen brisket from $1.09 to 1.89 a week apart. Also, Willy will most likely not know until the day he orders.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 02-14-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think Willie and I both use Majestic meats in Patchogue.
I'll check with Mr. B and see.
I will appreciate using some space in someone's pit, please.
Thanks for the update Phil, looking forward to this big time.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #13
djmarko
Full Fledged Farker

I will cook all 4 categories and will purchase from Will. I'd love to bring my Klose pit but there's not much room in my Saturn!!

KCBS CBJ
Klose 20"x48" offset
NB Black Diamond
Weber 1 Touch Gold
Brinkman Smoke N Pit Pitmaster
djmarko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2007, 06:28 PM   #14
BBQ_MAFIA
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

I can't wait for the class.

We will bring our meat.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy
Kirk,
The price of beef is not a constant. If you are concerned, buy it yourself locally. It will prevent hard feelings.
I just wanted a ballpark figure, not a guarantee. I'm not concerned Guy, just cheap.
I'm used to paying from 2.29 to 2.99 a lb for a packer (and 3.99 or more for flats) around here and I always assume things will be higher in NY, but I don't have a wholesale connection either. We usually pay about 1.89 for butts, 2.29 for spares and .84 for thighs at Sam's too. I have to ask my partner what he wants to do and I figured he might ask what the prices would be like from Willy's.