• Chateaubriand for Two - Cherry Smoked & Char Grilled Center Cut Prime Tenderloin on the Small BGE

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
There's a small local butcher that sells fantastic prime grade tenderloin not too far from us, and at $12.99 per lb, it's the deal of the century. Usually I buy 4-5 lbs, and freeze some of it.

This piece was the center cut, sometimes known as Chateaubriand:

DSC_0462BA_zps0ctzjuvz.jpg

I generously seasoned the meat with Oakridge Carne Crosta, seasoned pepper, and a bit of Lawry's to create a nice crust:

DSC_0464_zps0gloosc0.jpg

My small BGE hasn't been getting much use of late, so I decided to pull it out for this particular cook:

DSC_0469_zpsnl6axxpd.jpg

Started some lump in the chimney:

DSC_0466_zpsgkpbuwnk.jpg

Then added the hot lump with just a bit more unlit for good measure:

IMG_2945_zpszstdzzh7.jpg

I added a few small chunks of cherry wood, and put the meat on indirect(as possible as indirect as you can get on a small BGE):

DSC_0474_zpsgzhol7rr.jpg

Chugging away:

IMG_2949_zpspthddmiq.jpg

When the internal temp reached about 120, I moved it to the hot side of the egg:

DSC_0482_zpsshhoppva.jpg

DSC_0477_zps1wbhom7e.jpg

I pulled the meat when it was 135 and brought it inside to rest:

DSC_0489_zpsh1ep7tyk.jpg

Then sliced it up:

IMG_2957_zpsxkodjpab.jpg

Closer:

IMG_2957A_zps9r3a1h0z.jpg

It was so tender and juicy, it practically melted in our mouths! We served the meat with The Missus' green peppercorn gravy, baked potatoes, & Caesar salad with homemade dressing & croutons.

No plated pics, I was just too hungry!

Last edited:
Day-um, Moose!

Chateau Briand is not something I've seen in a LONG while... nice to see you and the Boss tearing it up. Sides sound delicious, too.

A local old school steakhouse makes this and is our go to anniversary dish. You absolutely nailed it. Now I'm starving! :razz:

What a great pice of meat both before and after the cook. $12.99 is like stealing for that quality of meat. I'm jealous.

12.99/lb??? Are you kidding me. Good choice for me is 22.99/lb. Cook looks great and i really like the sound of the green peppercorn sauce

Absolutely fantastic! BTW...I might suggest you try out a Map torch to lite your charcoal. Much less hassle and gets the job done fast. You can get them at Home Depot and Lowe's. They last a long time plus the refills are about $10.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done Moose!

I cooked one for our Valentines dinner and snapped some pics, but they didn't turn out so nice, but the results were soooooo fantastic. Love love love Chateaubriand. If I could find it that cheap, I'd eat way too much of it.

I really do need to cook something besides ribeye once in a while - that looks fanfarkingtastic!

Back