MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default New York City Trip

At the end of April, my wife and I are going to NYC for our 4th anniversary; we don't buy presents... we just take a trip. I know of the typical RUB and Daisy May's, and I'll stop at Carnegie and/or Katz's for pastrami.

What I want to do, though, is have a meal at a chef's table at a nice restaurant. Does anyone have experience with any place in NYC with this that they can recommend? Or just a favorite nice restaurant that I can check into?

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Like the kitchen at Willie B's? Wine&Swine might have some insights since he is a chef himself.

What kind of cusine were you thinking of?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
cmcadams

Um, Willie B's might be a bit too smokey for a chef's table. :)

I wasn't thinking really anything, but now that I do think about it, probably French or New American.

Livefire Whisky

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
Old 02-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

It's REALLY difficult/expensive to get a seat at a chef's table but you can try for mid-week for a better chance.

If you like live Jazz in a cool enviromnent (re-designed old auto repair shop), I love the Garage www.garagerest.com in the west village. Food is awesome with a 10 piece jazz band most nights (free).

French - no contest for value and quality: Chez Napoleon http://www.cheznapoleon.com/dinner.html. Incredible little old lady chef, 20 tables, great service (yeah, in a French restaurant). Escargo is awesome.

If you also want to experience traditional NY food - go to John's pizza in the Village http://www.johnsofbleeckerstreet.com/

Best brick oven pizza in the world!

Enjoy your trip!

Don't forget the best and free view of the NY skyline - the Staten Island ferry. Depart at sunset, stay on boat and return to nighttime skyline!
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
cmcadams

Thanks for the suggestions, barry. We were there a few years ago and took the tour around the island on boat... great views. It was a lot of fun.

Livefire Whisky

Old 02-09-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Forget about french! The croatian have the best food http://www.triorestaurant.citysearch.com/ I am biased but this place is one of the best restaurant i have ever been to
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Tribecca Grill is definately my favorite. Its a nice place in tribecca on Franklin street. (owned by robert DiNero).. Somewhat small and moderately priced(for Manhatten). Thats about one of the only places I'm willing to cross the nassau/queens border for.

The filet mignon is the better than most streak houses. I've gotten the seafood too, which is excellent, but then i feel guilty for not getting the steak. :) Great wine selection too.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
MilitantSquatter

Too many too choose...it's hard to go wrong...

Italian - Try one of my favorite TV chefs, Lidia's two excellent restuarants - Becco or Felidia... Becco is a little less pricey than Felidia but still a great higher end Italian meal..excellent service and real Italian food. Felidia has a very exotic menu. Becco is the best bet if you don't like experimenting too much.

http://www.lidiasitaly.com/index2.htm#Restaurants

If you want a high end NYC steakhouse, there are plenty and most are great (I'm partial to Sparks Steakhouse) but for a real nice atmosphere, consider Wolfgangs's on Park Avenue.. It is the former dining room of the Vanderbilt Hotel dining room. The owner, Wolfgang, was the head waiter for many years at the famed Peter Luger Steakhouse in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

http://www.wolfgangssteakhouse.com/

Del Friscoe's also has a nice trendy atmosphere and it's right across the street from radio City Music Hall..

http://www.delfriscos.com/newyork/
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 02-09-2007 at 08:28 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #9
BigBarry
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck
Forget about french! The croatian have the best food http://www.triorestaurant.citysearch.com/ I am biased but this place is one of the best restaurant i have ever been to
Sled,

Nice place - I'm sold! I will put it on my places to visit list.
Webers: Smokey Mountains (2 18.5" and a 22.5") - Performer 22" Silver - Go AnyWhere Charcoal - Smokey Joe Platinum - Craigslist Silver Gasser
BBQ - Bring Beer Quick!
In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King!
BigBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Not too fast Curt. For one of the most memorable meals in N.Y.C., Balthazar is the place. www.balthazarny.com/home.html . I spent one of the most romantic foodie evenings with my wife for a significant birthday dinner. It is a Brasserie. Everything is great. It is a hot ticket. The table in the far right corner is secluded and at the same time romantic with a view thanks to the mirrors of everything. The service is phenominal. The food is hearty and very well presented. Braised Short Ribs are to die for. They have an Oyster Bar the best this side of San Francisco, with offerings from both coasts as well as north from Canada. The Brunch is one of the best in N.Y.C.. We have the Balthazar cookbook and use it all the time. We took the cooking course with Lee Hanson, one of the Chefs/Owners. Duck a l'Orange Balthazar and Pork Milanese are two of our favorite every day recipes. If you are interested in a reservation I have an in.

As for Deli's, Carnegie has more atmosphere than Katz's. It is less off the beaten path. I dare you to finish the Woodie Allen! But at Katz's you can sit where Harry met Sally!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!

Last edited by CTSmokehouse; 02-10-2007 at 06:03 PM..
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
cmcadams

Cliff, thanks for the suggestions. I was just talking to my sister who was having brunch in the city... at 3:30. I tried to tell her brunch is between breakfast and lunch, but she didn't get it. I think we'll try Katz's this time, though I do like Carnegie. Both have great stuff, so we'll spread it around a bit.

We may have to go to Balthazar for another meal, but I think John (wine&swine) has us set up for our anniversary dinner, at the River Cafe in Brooklyn.

Livefire Whisky

Old 02-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #12
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams

We may have to go to Balthazar for another meal, but I think John (wine&swine) has us set up for our anniversary dinner, at the River Cafe in Brooklyn.
That's a great choice and romantic! Great view of Manhattan. Save room for the pickles at Katz's... they are started with real south of Delancy dirt....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote