The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Kirk
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sausage turn ins?

Just wondering what you guys like to turn in for the sausage category? Bulk sausage? Stuffed into casings? I imagine that a stuffed sausage like a fatty would not be acceptable? Does the KCBS have printed guidlines for this category? TIA

Unread 02-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker

We make something like a fatty. I make our own blend of Italian sausage and use silicon wraps that can be bought from BBQ Guru and smoke them. Then we cut them and you can put grill marks on them and glaze them or serve them nekid.
Have also served them in casing, It's kinda like the pork and chicken categories as long as it is sausage serve your 6 identifiable pieces and have fun.
Ray

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

So are there any set rules for sausage or it's up to the event organizer? Do comeptitors ever add stuffing like peppers, cheese, etc?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

The one time I judged there was what I now know to be a fatty. It was sauced pretty heavily and didn't score well, IIRC.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

I've entered the sausage category in two contests last year... Did not have luck with either of them...

Fresh Kielbasa from a reputable Polish market (19 of 22 entries)
Italian sausage patties from one of the best Italian pork stores in the NY (39th of 72 entries)

Both tasted pretty good to me... The sausage entries ones I've judged at two contests were not good in my opinion. Half the entries were an attempt at Italian sausage and peppers (with tomato sauce)..

Best one I had to date was a very good chicken sausage in casing stuffed with some kind of apple flavor... I will assume it was cooked fresh on site but sure tasted like something that was pre-cooked commercially and re-heated on a grill for the entry.