MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
txsmkmstr
Full Fledged Farker

Default LSGz 24x40 Offset - Custom w/Mods

So after nearly 10 years of smoking pursuits I finally broke down and ordered what I consider my Dream Pit - all the bells and whistles I would have wanted the very first go-round but didn't know it at the time. In addition, I knew there were things that I would eventually create and didn't want to tear up a brand new pit mounting them. But first - you need to start with the right platform.

After my research I chose Lone Star Grillz to build a 24x40 offset. It's the best size for my needs and where I intended to park it. From there we start adding LSGz farkles.... insulated firebox, gas-assist, larger wheels, folding shelf, ball valve, counterweight - pretty much everything except the ash pan and stainless shelf. A good start for sure but I wanted more. With some doodling on paper and discussions with Chris @ LSG I made some subtle changes as you'll see.

One of the most important items to be was the ability to store the propane cylinder on the shelf under the cook chamber. The cylinder was too tall to fit the stock expanded metal shelf. In similar fashion to trailer pits, a cut-out was made to allow the cylinder to be recessed into the lower shelf. Here's a picture of the pit right after moving into place. You'll notice the stack of plywood, which had to be leap-frogged so the pit would roll on the soft ground. This thing topped out at over 1/2 a ton.

Here's a close up of the propane cylinder mount - notice the expanded metal shelf was replaced with a full sheet of steel. I love the gas assist and have had one on every offset I've owned.

As I mentioned, I knew there were items I wanted to add later. I had LSG add some extra pieces of pipe in various locations to match the exhaust damper hinge material. I also moved the exhaust damper hinge to the far left side of the smoke stack - you'll see why later. First up on my mod list was to fly the Great State of Texas flag. Real Texas BBQ ain't real without a Texas Flag. You can see the extra pipe above the firebox in the first picture. A carriage bolt was drilled out to accept the "flagpole" and slipped right in.

While I gather up pictures of other mods I'd like to say this is one cooking machine. It comes up to temp quickly for it's size. Temps are quite steady for an offset pit. I'm still learning the finer points of fire/temp management for this particular set up but the smoke flavors have been outstanding, no matter what cut of meat I've tossed on. It's a real pleasure to cook on for sure.

More pics coming......

Old 11-20-2016, 08:13 PM   #2
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

She is a beauty, congrats.

UDS now resurrected, Square Chicken Cooker, Green 22" Kettle, Stok Tower Grill & Barrel Grill, Stealth WSM 18", Char Broil Kamander
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
SmittyJonz

Old 11-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Welcome to the "F"amily!
Vision Kamado PRO
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K), WGA(P) WJJ(CU)
Hunsaker Drum & Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE" Member
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #5
Inthewoods
is Blowin Smoke!

well done!!
-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
ShadowDriver
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Beautiful rig. Really like the subtle tweaks you've shared so far.

Glad to hear she's a cookin' machine.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
Dweverett
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Looks great! The mods look to be really well thought out.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:06 AM   #8
rwalters
Babbling Farker

I LOVE that pit!! Excellent choice and customization :)

Old 11-21-2016, 12:11 AM   #9
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Beautiful cooker! Looks like you really made it yours.

The 2019 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Planning Post! (Link)
pjtexas1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2016, 04:35 AM   #10
cheez59
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sweet patio pit you have there.
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2016, 04:44 AM   #11
sylntghost
is One Chatty Farker

That my good man is a fine looking cooker.
Rodney. 24x75 Shirley cabinet with first hip roof main chamber. Shirley double burner griddle stand.kamado joe big joe.weber kettle.4 & 8 gallon Cajun fryers. Lone star grillz large insulated vertical cabinet
sylntghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2016, 05:12 AM   #12
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

Very nice!

Old 11-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #13
KevinJ

Very nice pit, congrats.
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #14
lastmajordude
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dude

Awesome pit!!!!!!!!!!! congrats......nice flag!!!

Old 11-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #15
OferL
is One Chatty Farker

Congrats!
OferL is offline   Reply With Quote