MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:33 AM   #1
sylntghost
is One Chatty Farker

Default Cajun fryer question

For all you brethren with Cajun fryers..do you cook fish and poultry in the same oil? I'm looking at getting a 6 gallon fryer so I can do turkeys. Was wondering if I need 2 batches of oil. I would hate for my thanksgiving bird to taste like mullet. Thanks for any help y'all can offer.
Rodney. 24x75 Shirley cabinet with first hip roof main chamber. Shirley double burner griddle stand.kamado joe big joe.weber kettle.4 & 8 gallon Cajun fryers. Lone star grillz large insulated vertical cabinet
sylntghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I sometimes use lightly used, cleaned, filtered oil used to cook poultry for cooking fish, but never oil used to cook fish for anything else. However, if the used oil from poultry is even slightly dark, I will not use that for fish.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
MeatyOakerSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I sometimes use lightly used, cleaned, filtered oil used to cook poultry for cooking fish, but never oil used to cook fish for anything else. However, if the used oil from poultry is even slightly dark, I will not use that for fish.
I'm with this... if it's used for fish it's done. Maybe maybe maybe if you did squid you can get away with doing chicken but certainly not any oily fish.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
La Caja China
COS - Oklahoma Joe Highlander
Lang 48 Patio
Grilla Silverbac Original
Formerly known as IbrahimSS
MeatyOakerSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #4
sylntghost
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll get 2 batches of oil. One for fish and one for birds.
Rodney. 24x75 Shirley cabinet with first hip roof main chamber. Shirley double burner griddle stand.kamado joe big joe.weber kettle.4 & 8 gallon Cajun fryers. Lone star grillz large insulated vertical cabinet

Old 10-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

I cooked breaded fish patties the other day for fish sandwiches, then a few days later cooked some fries. I myself could taste the fish but when i asked others know one else could taste it. This was only in a small residential plug in type. I will be saving fish oil for fish only in the future

Old 10-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #6
Badgerjacob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

Never....
Badgerjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #7
sylntghost
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerjacob View Post
Never....
Never change oil?

Old 10-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
Badgerjacob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylntghost View Post
Never change oil?
I never cook fish and chicken in the same oil....
Badgerjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
PigBull_Okie
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have a 6 gallon cajun fryer and cook everything in the same oil. It has been my experience that the cajun fryer, unlike other fryers I have used, has very little if any carry-over flavor if the oil is cleaned regularly. I filter mine and remove debris from the bottom of the unit every 4 cooks. Also, cooking some fries or other potatoes after frying fish helps to take out any "fishy" taste in the oil.

I cant recommend the cajun fryer enough. I cooked my thanksgiving bird on it last year and it turned out great.

Humphrey's DownEast Beast
UDS w/ Auber ATC
Cajun Fryer FF2 Super
PigBull_Okie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #10
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Frying potatoes in used oil will help to clean it up some and absorb other flavors.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #11
sylntghost
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigBull_Okie View Post
I have a 6 gallon cajun fryer and cook everything in the same oil. It has been my experience that the cajun fryer, unlike other fryers I have used, has very little if any carry-over flavor if the oil is cleaned regularly. I filter mine and remove debris from the bottom of the unit every 4 cooks. Also, cooking some fries or other potatoes after frying fish helps to take out any "fishy" taste in the oil.

I cant recommend the cajun fryer enough. I cooked my thanksgiving bird on it last year and it turned out great.
I love the fries with that little bit of cornmeal on them.