The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-23-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Hawgsnheifers
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Smile New Pitmaster of a Southern Pride Smoker

February 1st I became the Pitmaster of a Southern Pride XLR-1400-SLSE at a local Micro Brewery and resturant. A co-worker purchased the business and he liked my BBQ so much he asked me to bring the "Q" back to life at this place. I saw the smoker for the first time today and "OMG". You could put a half dozen corpses in this sucker.

See it here http://www.southern-pride.com/p/pits_xlr-1400-slse.php

Anyway, currently they use a mix of hickory oak and apple. I can't remember where I read this but I thought if you mixed some woods it would make the meat taste bitter? Any of the brothers out there have any experience with mixing woods? I was also amazed when I was told that they use green wood. I thought you had to let any wood age a little before you used it to smoke with? According to the manufacturer, Southern Pride, you're supposed to use green wood in this monster.

There were some sheets by the smoker which had directions for smoking different types of meat. Brisket for 14 hours at 175? Sounds too low. All the temps seemd too low and the time too short. Guess that's why the current customers say the Q is tough and nasty.

Anyway, if any of you brothers out there know anything about this smoker, what works and what doesn't, mixing of woods etc. let me know. Wish me luck.... I think I'm gonna need it.

18.5 WSM with BBQ Guru Competition MOD
Bandera with Spicewine Firebox MOD (Lives at Chiefs now)
Silver Smoker with "leak like a Sive" MOD
Brinkman Gourmet with "Critter Infestation" MOD
Jenn-Air 4 Burner Gas Passer with "Lazy" MOD

"Life is hard. It's harder when your stupid."
Hawgsnheifers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
backyardchef
Babbling Farker

Congratulations on a super cool gig! I've heard that about the green woods with those cookers because they draft so well you need green wood to help get a good smokey flavor.

I wonder if Willie B would have a second to chime in about using one of those suckers. I say try a few test runs with each wood and see which you like and which could be harmonious.

The Hampton Smoker Blog: http://backyardchef.blogspot.com

7' Meadow Creek reverse flow w/ a 4' grill on the nose, named Large Marge
48" Klose Backyard Chef named Wubby
Willy the Wonder Grill
Weber Kettle named Georgiette
ECB Spider Web Collector Model
Char-Griller Smokin' Pro Firebrick Supremo
backyardchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

I dont know about green but the mix of apple oak and hickory is fine. I think that is the mix Paul Kirk talks about in his book.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

That is an awesome pit; I see them at many commercial establishments and figure Willy B would be the best source from around here.
I too heard the mix wood-bitter thing but believe that only to be true with some of the 'stronger' varieties like mesquite. Blending gentler cuts should be fine.
I would stay away from green in my humble opinion no matter what I was cooking on but I will defer to those who actually cook on Southern Prides.
Congratulations and keep us posted.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
ultramag
Full Fledged Farker

Don't know about the Southern Pride specifically, but I mix woods all the time. Cherry and Hickory, Appled and Hickory, and Pecan and Cherry are some mixes I commonly use.

The green wood question sure is interesting. Hope someone who knows this cooker chimes in. Goes against everything I think I know. Congrats on the new job!

[B]WSM-[/B]w/mods

GOSM 36" [B]Big Block[/B] Gasser

[B][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]Proud Member - MOFO Chapter[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
ultramag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
bruno
Full Fledged Farker

Fark. That is a little bigger than a WSM. Whens the bash?

"That tastes like ****!"
bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

mixing wood is fine.. dont worry about that.

The faster cooks are due to the convection of those cookers.. open them up and your hit with a powered blast of hot air.. not just draft. Meat cooks in 2/3 of the time if not faster.

I think the concept of the green wood is that it wont vaporize as fast as dried when it gets hit with that gas fired blue flame. I havent seen it used with green wood, but on willies 500 or 1000 using the recommended amount of 2-3 dried logs does NOT give the depth of smoke flavor you get in a steel pit. i would give it a try with some green to see how it comes out, or used more than the recommended amount if you want the smoke WE are accoustomed to. But be careful, the general pulic may prefer the lesser smoke flavoring.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 10:54 PM   #8
Plowboy

I'm not sure if its the exact same cooker or not, but we use a very similar Southern Pride for the Kookers Kare charity event each March. Its the only time of the year we get to cook with it, to I don't know much about it. Randy and I cooked 9 cases of butts on it last year for Kookers Kare. Used like 2 sticks of very cured hickory. It is one sweet pit.

Where's the Brewery? What's the name?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #9
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

I've seen 'em used and I agree with Todd ....very sweet pit!! THe one I saw in use was in TExas and a Friend of mine was cooking on it....I distinctly remember him going on and on about how the thing used GREEN wood! THey used Hickory in theirs....All the Q I had off of it, tatsed pretty good IMHO!!!

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
Plowboy

This is me about 90 lbs. heavier and looking very sad at last year's Kookers Kare. You are gonna love that pit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0247a.jpg (94.2 KB, 124 views)

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #11
big brother smoke

Dunno, I use that wood mix and others all the time without my meat being bitter. However, I have no experience using green mixed wood. Perhaps, mixed green wood is bitter, but again I have no experience with that.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314