The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Chuck Roll.

Have any of you seen these monsters at Sam's Club? I just saw them today. Twice as big as a brisket, less fat, I think I know what my smoker will be doing this week
As soon as I purchase one this week I will post pictures of it as well as the cook. Assume I will cook it similar to a whole brisket, any suggestions or advice?

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

Bossman you just stumbled on one of lifes very special treats..........a narly huge hunk "O" beef .........REJOICE brother you have found the mother load......I've only done a couple ,took forever but, I'd have to say this is one of the best eatin' cuts of meat I've ever put on the smoker.....I treated mine like Brisket or Shoulder clod and worked fine for me!!!

oh yah hears a little attachment to show you just what your looking at!! www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=15
Smoke on bro!!

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I know guys that do Chuck Roll instead of brisket for their beef sandwiches when vending or catering. Similar enough flavors without the shrinkage of brisket.

Randy (Pigboy) has tried it once for a catering gig. Maybe he'll see this and post how it worked for him. I know he's still serving brisket, so...

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
PigBoy
Full Fledged Farker

I definitely want to play with it some more. I took the advice of Shad ( a chef in IA) and took it to 195 and pulled it for a tailgate. It went over big! Mark (great grills) works with a vendor who serves a ton of it. They serve it sliced and don't take it nearly that high. I want to visit with them more before I change my menu, because I have quite a clientele for my brisket. Bottom line- less shrink, very tasty!

Pork Pullin Plowboys
www.plowboysbbq.com
www.hinckfarms.com

Traeger 200, Kingfisher Commercial, Bandera, Weber Kettle
PigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumpedover
oh yah hears a little attachment to show you just what your looking at!! www.beeffoodservice.com/Cuts/Info.aspx?Code=15
I thought this was interesting from the link above.

Quote:
Beef Chuck Roll is most economical from May to July, creating an excellent opportunity for foodservice operators too profit by featuring Beef Chuck Roll menu items.
Source: National Cattleman's Beef Association and Cattle-Fax
If you look at the chart, January is the month with the highest prices and June the lowest. I wonder why that is.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumpedover
Bossman you just stumbled on one of lifes very special treats..........a narly huge hunk "O" beef .........REJOICE brother you have found the mother load......I've only done a couple ,took forever but, I'd have to say this is one of the best eatin' cuts of meat I've ever put on the smoker.....I treated mine like Brisket or Shoulder clod and worked fine for me!!!

Smoke on bro!!
John, great link, Decided that I'm buying one of these bad boys today after work, so the adventure will begin stay tuned

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-

Unread 01-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

wow.. i havent seen one of thos ein many years. My mom used to get them form a local butcher and make pot roast in a hugh dutch oven with them.. I rememeber them due to the netting they came home in and having to take the string out of the stew once the meat fell apart.. :)

Never seen one around here though.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

I haven't seen them at our Sam's Club. I will keep my eye open for them. Was the one you saw a choice cut or select?

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248
I haven't seen them at our Sam's Club. I will keep my eye open for them. Was the one you saw a choice cut or select?
It is Choice, I have never seen then at Sam's either until this week. They had them in a display case with regular Chuck roast and some shoulder roast. When I pick mine up today I will ask if they just started to carry these. No netting but they are in the cryovac like brisket or pork butt.

- Mike Mills-

Unread 01-23-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossmanbbq
It is Choice, I have never seen then at Sam's either until this week. They had them in a display case with regular Chuck roast and some shoulder roast. When I pick mine up today I will ask if they just started to carry these. No netting but they are in the cryovac like brisket or pork butt.

Keep us informed....with pics included....I love this cut of meat....I ussually take mine to about 175-180* pull,wrap, hold, then slice like brisket.....MMMmmmMMMmmm!

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #11
PigBoy
Full Fledged Farker

The Sam's here doesn't have them in the showcase either, but assured me they have them all the time. You just have to ask. I think there were 4 in a case. Good exercise lugging that around. I cut each peice in half to shorten cooking time and have more surface for rub to add flavor.

Pork Pullin Plowboys
www.plowboysbbq.com
www.hinckfarms.com

Traeger 200, Kingfisher Commercial, Bandera, Weber Kettle
PigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
Roaster
Knows what a fatty is.

i we just love them . ask the bucther for them. No problem . uasally get a ten ponder. going to do one on super bowl sunday.

http://usera.imagecave.com/roaster/chuckroll/
Roaster is offline   Reply With Quote