oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #12016
Wahoo95
Knows what a fatty is.

Anyone familiar with this type of drum lid? Appears to have two standard bungholes on the top along with a slightly smaller hole in the center. Just wondering if if anyone has used that hole for exhaust or should I just stick with one of the standard holes?

Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #12017
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
Anyone familiar with this type of drum lid? Appears to have two standard bungholes on the top along with a slightly smaller hole in the center. Just wondering if if anyone has used that hole for exhaust or should I just stick with one of the standard holes?

Never seen that before but I just found a drum with a bung hole in the side of the drum about 6" from the bottom. Never seen that before either. But it will be great for the initial air intake to get it up to temp.
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #12018
Wahoo95
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstomper View Post
Never seen that before but I just found a drum with a bung hole in the side of the drum about 6" from the bottom. Never seen that before either. But it will be great for the initial air intake to get it up to temp.
Yeah this lid came on a drum like that. It also has some sort of spike inside in the center on the bottom of the drum. I assume that was used for centering some type of agitator for mixing?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #12019
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

That's the exact se from as I have and Now that you mention it, if I can remember right my drum has a small spike in the centre of the bottom also.
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #12020
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Certified KCBS Judge
Pitmaster T is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #12021
Highcal
On the road to being a farker

Agitator is exactly it, we have those drums at work, they are made for a mixer, in my case automotive paint.
Highcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 02:51 AM   #12022
Ceedubya
Knows what a fatty is.

I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I don't feel like reading 800 plus pages to find the answer.

What are my options, and where can I buy, open head barrels that do not require a burn out and sanding. I am happy to pay a little more to avoid this chore. Is stainless my only option? I am building a uds cart that will enclose a couple of barrels in 4 walls, so I don't really care how the outsides look, you won't be able to see them anyways.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #12023
Wahoo95
Knows what a fatty is.

Check around locally but I found a local place that Sandblasted mine for $20. They even burned it out first for no additional charge. Drum cost me $20 so I was into it $40 total

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceedubya View Post
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I don't feel like reading 800 plus pages to find the answer.

What are my options, and where can I buy, open head barrels that do not require a burn out and sanding. I am happy to pay a little more to avoid this chore. Is stainless my only option? I am building a uds cart that will enclose a couple of barrels in 4 walls, so I don't really care how the outsides look, you won't be able to see them anyways.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #12024
chris1360
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 068 View Post
Have you tried "scratch and dent" stores? I picked up 3 almost complete kettles, for less than $50, last summer.
What is a scratch and dent store? I would live to score a bunch of lids for more UDS, and if I can find a store like that I would jump all over it.
chris1360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #12025
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceedubya View Post

New and reconditioned drums (both open and closed ends) come unlined with good paint on the outside. There must be drum yard near you. I paid $35 for my reconditioned drum, no burnout, no sandblasting, keep the outside paint.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #12026
chris1360
Knows what a fatty is.

Got so busy cooking after I got my UDS finished last week, I totally forgot to add it to this thread that I have been following for two years! LOL Here she is thanks to all of the great advice from this forum, and the giant UDs thread!

And some of the first cooks after seasoning:

chris1360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #12027
schwin97
Found some matches.

Default Finished my UDS tonight

Hello everyone. I will start by saying I am only 275 pages into this thread, but I couldn't wait to finish the thread before I built my UDS. I went with the KISS design for this first UDS, and I definitely have some ideas on cost and ease of production improvements for the next time.

Here is the barrel I started with:

Improvements the next time I choose a barrel:
  • Make sure the top is NOT galvanized!
  • Try to find a heavier barrel - mine may be a little thin.

Due to it being a thinner barrel and just having paint inside, the burn out was easy. I borrowed my neighbors weed burner and made quick work of the paint.

Now I drilled it for the grilling shelf - my barrel is 33.5 inches tall which caused a good bit of consternation in trying to figure out how I was going to get my grilling surface 24 inches above my coal box. Then, I finally figured out that everyone says 24 inches above the bottom of the coal box, not the top of the coal box... That made the decision easier - I just went with 7 inches down from the top.

For my coal basket I had purchased a 'throwaway' cheap grill from amazon as I could use it for catching the ash and the grill for the bottom of the coal basket. This is the second area for improvement the next time I make one. Next time I will hit up Craigslist to find a cheap Weber gold grill to use for parts as I can find those on Craigslist for 30-40 and it would provide the grilling surface, bottom of the coal basket, and possibly a lid for the UDS. But that is for next time... To finish my coal basket I got 2 pieces of 12x24 expanded steel (1/2 inch holes, 13 ga.) and used bolts to connect them in the general shape of a circle (maybe more egg like). I then used stainless steel zip ties to connect the expanded steel to the bottom of the basket. Finally, I attached 3 inch long bolts to the bottom of coal basket for clearance and air circulation.

Next, I had the fun job of removing the galvanization from the lid. The main issue with doing this was first figuring out how to remove the galvanization, and then finding a container big enough for the lid. I ended up using an old recycling bin - filled with a bunch of water and then added the muriatic acid (leftover from my last trip to the pool store). Here are some pictures of the process.

Starting the process:

Hey, it works:

My container wasn't quite big enough so for the center of the lid I had to just pour a little muriatic acid on the it. Boy did it work, but I wouldn't recommend it. Slow and steady wins the race for sure...

I had already cleaned our the residue both inside and out and used acetone to clean it. While I was bathing the lid in muriatic acid I also painted the drum. I couldn't find the right color of maroon for the bottom of the drum (think Texas A&M's helmets against Mississippi St. a couple years ago), so I just went with straight black high heat from Autozone.

Here is the drum during the painting process:

Finished painting the lid, and the only thing left is to drill the holes in the lid (8 holes, each 1/2 in diameter), and then to season the inside. Hoping to do that tomorrow morning, and then cooking the first brisket on Saturday!

Thanks everyone for this thread and I plan to continue to try to work my way through it as time permits...
schwin97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 02:41 AM   #12028
Ceedubya
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
New and reconditioned drums (both open and closed ends) come unlined with good paint on the outside. There must be drum yard near you. I paid $35 for my reconditioned drum, no burnout, no sandblasting, keep the outside paint.
They are a little hard to come by in small town Montana. I have yet to find unlined drums locally.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #12029
Big Griz
Got Wood.

I am getting ready to season my new UDS but read in one of the posts that you shouldn't eat whatever you use for your first burn. Is that right?
Big Griz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #12030
Atos
Got rid of the matchlight.

Inspired by this monster UDS thread i've build my own drum smoker.

The drum:

The charcoal basket is made from washingmachine parts, the ash collector was a paella pan:

Air outlet in the lid made from scrap metal I found:

The setup from inside:

Home made lid handle:

Easy transport:

Stuff it with ribs...

Stuff it with butts...

And controled by Guru.

Thanks!!

Atos!

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker