The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 01-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #7396
Sterling
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Sterling's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-09
Location: Gilbert AZ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post
I was told it was used for tomato paste, although there is a sticker outside that says something about toulene

Might just get it sandblasted for the heck of it.
What did it smell like? Toluene is quite toxic, but it is also quite volatile and doesn't leave much residue.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/t3913.htm

Your choice, but an unlined barrel of automatic transmission fluid is virtually non toxic, and very safe after a burnout or two. Any large volume truck service center should have them for the asking.

Sterling
__________________
Sterling

Born just fine the first time, thanks...
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #7397
deer slayer
Got rid of the matchlight.
 
Join Date: 01-13-11
Location: fordyce, arkansas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

i've been thinking of using an aluminum fryer basket as a charcoal basket. would one with 11.25" diameter and 7" tall be a good consideration for $20 instead of using a grate and expanded metal to fabricate one?
deer slayer is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #7398
SwampassJ
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 01-01-11
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer slayer View Post
i've been thinking of using an aluminum fryer basket as a charcoal basket. would one with 11.25" diameter and 7" tall be a good consideration for $20 instead of using a grate and expanded metal to fabricate one?
I used one out of my 15 gallon pot today. Worked perfect with chunk charcoal.

I'm actually having trouble getting the temps down at this moment because of how my lid fitting. Fired it up with four 1" intakes open and both bungholes open. Hit and held at 400 degrees for half an hour. Removed the lid and soared above 550 above my thermometers reading ability.

Got it back down to 350 and grilled some chicken breasts. Little finnicky on temps still but came out tasty.

Right now I have one 1" intake open 1/8th of the way and I'm holding at 275 with just the little bung hole open. I'm going to mess with the lid this week to see about a better fit.
SwampassJ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #7399
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker
 
smokeyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-03-11
Location: Smithfield, North Carolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Okay, I have been bitten with the UDS sickness. I scored 4 drums today with removable lids. They were used to store food grade grease. I am anxious to get started! I will take some pics as I go.
smokeyw is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #7400
DesMar
Knows what a fatty is.
 
DesMar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-23-10
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Exclamation Wait!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyVinny View Post
I was told it was used for tomato paste, although there is a sticker outside that says something about toulene

Might just get it sandblasted for the heck of it.

Sorry i did not post for a while. WAIT do not use!! Toulene is very harmfull. We use it to thin paint at work and if you do not use thick rubber gloves it will dry out your hands to almost white. I would suggest finding a food grade drum (with painted inside) and burn a couple of pallets in it.

Then wire wheel it clean and spray with Pam and season it a couple of times at 350`. That is what I did and have not looked back since.

Beware Toulene is a thinner, but stronger than your normal thinner you buy at HD.

Just my $.01
__________________
Am. BBQ'er, UDS V- 1.0, Planning V- 2.0, looking for lg. propane tank for offset smoker/ BBQ build.
DesMar is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #7401
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker
 
smokeyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-03-11
Location: Smithfield, North Carolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Plastic Bushings in lid bungs

I unbolted the lids on my barrels today. The bungs in the lids are a plastic or nylon material. I thought "no problem, I will just put a metal bung in the small one and screw a pipe stack in the large one for the exhaust". However, there are some type of plastic bushings that the bungs screw into. Has anyone run into this? I cut through one of them with a jigsaw and have still not been able to get it out. It has a flange on the bottom side of the lid with holes like maybe a spanner wrench could be used to remove it but I can't budge it.
smokeyw is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #7402
SwampassJ
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 01-01-11
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Follow up on using the basket from the 15 gallon aluminum pot. Trying to max my temps was a very bad idea, I have managed to burn right through the bottom of the basket. Now I have to get an expanded steel basket.
SwampassJ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #7403
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Dr_KY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-15-07
Location: England
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
I unbolted the lids on my barrels today. The bungs in the lids are a plastic or nylon material. I thought "no problem, I will just put a metal bung in the small one and screw a pipe stack in the large one for the exhaust". However, there are some type of plastic bushings that the bungs screw into. Has anyone run into this? I cut through one of them with a jigsaw and have still not been able to get it out. It has a flange on the bottom side of the lid with holes like maybe a spanner wrench could be used to remove it but I can't budge it.
Fire will remove most anything.
__________________
www.drsweetsmoke.com

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!


UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*


British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #7404
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker
 
smokeyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-03-11
Location: Smithfield, North Carolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Fire will remove most anything.
Yeah, I ended up doing that. Heated it till soft and then popped them out. Now I have to figure out what kind of exhaust I will do. I'm tempted to plug both holes and drill the eight 1/2" holes. But then again I just found a brand new 22 1/2" kingsford kettle in Craigslist new in the box for $40. The lid may just fit.
smokeyw is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #7405
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 01-31-09
Location: Austin, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I don't know if I can explain mine well. The bung had a rubberish white cover with an aluminum retaining band. I cut the band off, then removed the cover. Then used a vice grip and unscrewed the metal bung plug.

As for cutting 8 holes - what will happen when it rains when you are smoking? If your lid is shapped like mine - all the water that hits the lid will go in the pit.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #7406
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Dr_KY's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-15-07
Location: England
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
I don't know if I can explain mine well. The bung had a rubberish white cover with an aluminum retaining band. I cut the band off, then removed the cover. Then used a vice grip and unscrewed the metal bung plug.

As for cutting 8 holes - what will happen when it rains when you are smoking? If your lid is shapped like mine - all the water that hits the lid will go in the pit.
Sounds fairly standard.
__________________
www.drsweetsmoke.com

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!


UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*


British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #7407
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker
 
ChicagoSizzlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-13-10
Location: Lockport,IL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
Yeah, I ended up doing that. Heated it till soft and then popped them out. Now I have to figure out what kind of exhaust I will do. I'm tempted to plug both holes and drill the eight 1/2" holes. But then again I just found a brand new 22 1/2" kingsford kettle in Craigslist new in the box for $40. The lid may just fit.

I opened up the bigger hole and thats it lol. I didnt bother putting any type of exhaust on it and it works just fine.
__________________
1 - 22.5 OTG
1 - 18.5 OTS
Maverick ET-7

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #7408
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker
 
smokeyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-03-11
Location: Smithfield, North Carolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSizzlin View Post
I opened up the bigger hole and thats it lol. I didnt bother putting any type of exhaust on it and it works just fine.
I did pick up the 22 1/2" kingsford kettle for $40. If the lid fits I may use it on the UDS. If not I will just plug the small hole on the existing lid and leave the large one open like you suggested? I just went to Lowes and I think I got everything I needed except the expanded metal. I spent $68 there. This thing is getting out of hand but I'm having fun. I can't wait to cook on it.
smokeyw is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2011, 02:09 PM   #7409
SkinnyVinny
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 01-11-11
Location: Canada
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesMar View Post
Sorry i did not post for a while. WAIT do not use!! Toulene is very harmfull. We use it to thin paint at work and if you do not use thick rubber gloves it will dry out your hands to almost white. I would suggest finding a food grade drum (with painted inside) and burn a couple of pallets in it.

Then wire wheel it clean and spray with Pam and season it a couple of times at 350`. That is what I did and have not looked back since.

Beware Toulene is a thinner, but stronger than your normal thinner you buy at HD.

Just my $.01

Thanks. The sticker on the barrel says " inhibited with less than 20 ppm of butyl hydroxy toulene"

I'll be taking the drum to a place to get it sandblasted. Thanks for the help!
SkinnyVinny is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #7410
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker
 
ChicagoSizzlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-13-10
Location: Lockport,IL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
I did pick up the 22 1/2" kingsford kettle for $40. If the lid fits I may use it on the UDS. If not I will just plug the small hole on the existing lid and leave the large one open like you suggested? I just went to Lowes and I think I got everything I needed except the expanded metal. I spent $68 there. This thing is getting out of hand but I'm having fun. I can't wait to cook on it.

I also have a weber lid I use when cooking both or top grates. I actually prefer to use top grate now and I think I get more of a smoke taste as well.
__________________
1 - 22.5 OTG
1 - 18.5 OTS
Maverick ET-7

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ugly Drum Smoker ironslob Q-talk 2 09-19-2010 10:16 AM
Ugly Drum Smoker - Need Help Bartkowiakj Q-talk 10 06-18-2010 09:38 PM
One Ugly Drum Smoker Steve_B Q-talk 15 09-21-2009 10:32 PM
My (not-so) Ugly Drum Smoker. hav Q-talk 47 11-05-2008 02:30 PM
Ceramic Cooker Meets Ugly Drum Smoker - BUDCS - Concept Drum Discussion Hook_Line_and_Sinker Q-talk 9 04-26-2008 02:24 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts