The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #6946
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 01-22-08
Location: waterloo ontario
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSU-Q View Post
One more question... I have decided to use a BGE draft door for my air intake. How are you guys attaching these to the drum? Rivets? JB Weld?
I use selftaping screws and no need for sealant.

The last 11 drums I have built have the BGE style intakes. I even went back and modded some of my first drums with the sliding door. None of my drums or BGE are fixed in place so if wind on the intake, exhaust or me is a problem then I just rotate the drum or Egg. Mine really aren't directional. The reality is that you have the same amount of opening regardless of the way you regulate it so strong wind can be a problem for any intake. BGE are pretty successful and haven't resorted to plumbing taps.

Last edited by h20loo; 10-11-2010 at 04:26 PM..
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #6947
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 04-25-09
Location: Des Moines, IA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski View Post
The business sells them for $10. They are clean because the glue and silicone that comes in them is bagged. They do not even have scratches or dents.
Hey Brewski,

Do you by chance work for a window manufacturer?

I used to sell sealants to window builders that came in straight sided drums...

Nice looking drum, BTW.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #6948
mike101prf
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 10-03-10
Location: Alabaster, Alabama
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Hello everyone, first time poster and I got hooked on the UDS thread and decided to build my own this weekend. This thread has to be the most helpful thing ive read to date on the building and different designs of the UDS. With that said here is my contribution to the UDS thread. Thanks to everyone for the posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds 1.jpg (23.1 KB, 687 views)
mike101prf is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #6949
mike101prf
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 10-03-10
Location: Alabaster, Alabama
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

and the firebox
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds2.jpg (22.2 KB, 689 views)
mike101prf is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #6950
brewski
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 06-24-10
Location: Camden. TN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnin Querve View Post
Hey Brewski,

Do you by chance work for a window manufacturer?

I used to sell sealants to window builders that came in straight sided drums...

Nice looking drum, BTW.

Chris
I do not. The business I am refering to is Adaseal which is near our town.

Thanks for the compliment.
__________________
Cust Trailer Pit,Weber Performer,Weber Gasser, Upright Gasser,Brink Smoker, 4 Slice Toaster
brewski is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #6951
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 12-15-09
Location: Antelope, CA (Sacramento metro area)
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSU-Q View Post
I just got my drum to build my UDS.
I had a buddy pick it up for me, and when he dropped it off, the cap for the 2" bung was missing.
I have googled trying to find a replacement, but only come up with plastic ones.
I also googled for 2" pipe to just skip the cap and make a stack, but stainless is the only thing I found (other than plastic or galvanized) and that stuff is pretty expensive.
Where do I go from here?
What material are others using to build their stacks?
Galvanized will work great if you're hesitant to use PVC. Your lid will have to get to 1600 degrees before the zinc will vaporize and become hazardous, and by that time your food will be ash and you won't want to eat it anyway.
__________________
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #6952
brunski
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 09-28-10
Location: katy, tx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
I have updated the template I used in construction of my DrumPit and would like to share it with y'all...It's in PDF Format...I found it handy to have and use....

Attachment 41275

The File, once downloaded should look like this....
Attachment 41276

Full Scale measures 25"x25"
If you own a Postscript Printer you can tile print it at 100% scale and tape the pages
together, if not, you can take the file to a Print Service Bureau that has Large Format Capability
and have it printed and laminated.

This link shows how I used the template for layout of the holes to drill...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...3&postcount=62



this was awesome - it helped me greatly in my build!!!
Thank you n8man!!!
brunski is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #6953
_Christopher_
Got rid of the matchlight.
 
Join Date: 09-17-10
Location: Cleburne, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

On page 432 of this thread (post #647 a tip was to use Easy-Off oven cleaner. I tried this on my lined barrel and it did not remove the liner. It did however completely remove the outer paint on the outside of the barrel cleanly and effortlessly. The barrel I purchased was made in 2010 for the Concord juice company and it shipped grapefruit juice. The liner is not red, but more like a very deep red wine color (near deep brown with hint of red) and feels more like a hard enamel than paint. I can scratch off the paint of my truck easier than the liner of this barrel. It's like it's between automotive paint and the truck bed liner paint.

I pre-sanded the area for testing with a few patches I took down to bare metal. Not even the thin areas around the bare metal edges were affected. I tried both the heat treatment and the cold over night method. None of the methods even came close to removing any of the liner or layers of the liner. But it did great removing the outside paint.

I purchased this when I thought all I had to do was burn it out. Now I know better. My goal now is to either find a bare metal barrel cheaper than $40 (and keep the one I has as a trash burn barrel), or pay the $40 for sand blasting it out. Which the economy can't be that bad. Out of 8 local slandblasters from the yellow pages, only two returned my phone call and I called them all at least three times each. And one of them said, it wasn't worth his time; politely though.
_Christopher_ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #6954
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-16-09
Location: Lake Charles La
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Christopher_ View Post
On page 432 of this thread (post #647 a tip was to use Easy-Off oven cleaner. I tried this on my lined barrel and it did not remove the liner. It did however completely remove the outer paint on the outside of the barrel cleanly and effortlessly. The barrel I purchased was made in 2010 for the Concord juice company and it shipped grapefruit juice. The liner is not red, but more like a very deep red wine color (near deep brown with hint of red) and feels more like a hard enamel than paint. I can scratch off the paint of my truck easier than the liner of this barrel. It's like it's between automotive paint and the truck bed liner paint.

I pre-sanded the area for testing with a few patches I took down to bare metal. Not even the thin areas around the bare metal edges were affected. I tried both the heat treatment and the cold over night method. None of the methods even came close to removing any of the liner or layers of the liner. But it did great removing the outside paint.

I purchased this when I thought all I had to do was burn it out. Now I know better. My goal now is to either find a bare metal barrel cheaper than $40 (and keep the one I has as a trash burn barrel), or pay the $40 for sand blasting it out. Which the economy can't be that bad. Out of 8 local slandblasters from the yellow pages, only two returned my phone call and I called them all at least three times each. And one of them said, it wasn't worth his time; politely though.

You might try burning it out again. Did you drill your inlet holes yet? Makes a lot of difference. Might get a weed burner from HF and get after it.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #6955
brunski
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 09-28-10
Location: katy, tx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

"vote for Pedro" lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
Not sure how old your daughter is (or her boyfriend or her boyfriend's dad...) but the movie "Napolean Dynamite" is a cult classic for us late 30 - early 40 sometings:


Any time I see a "Pedro" reference, that's where I go.
brunski is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #6956
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 01-31-09
Location: Austin, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I just used a short 2" pipe nipple for my smoke stack. A empty corn can (right size) will keep any rain out. That said, I have a 2 1/4 tractor muffler cover on mine. A small magnet below the hinge will get it to lock open when you are cooking.
----
Fire needs O2. One person hooked up a shop vac to his nipple as a blower - impressive resulting burnout. That said, if you do that to a lid, I highly suspect it will warp.

(fire plus injected air = blast furnace)

Last edited by jcinadr; 10-12-2010 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: increase understanding
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #6957
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-16-09
Location: Lake Charles La
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
I just used a short 2" pipe nipple for my smoke stack. A empty corn can (right size) will keep any rain out. That said, I have a 2 1/4 tractor muffler cover on mine. A small magnet below the hinge will get it to lock open when you are cooking.
----
Fire needs O2. One person hooked up a shop vac to his nipple as a blower - impressive resulting burnout. That said, if you do that to a lid, I highly suspect it will warp.

(fire plus injected air = blast furnace)
Top from a can of spray paint is what i use on 2" PVC stack even tho my drum is under my carport off my shop. Saw a wasp snooping around one day and decided i better cover the stack.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #6958
gjdad
On the road to being a farker
 
gjdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-10-10
Location: Wilmette Illinois
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Hi all. I have read some to this thread over the last week. My question is about a design for stacking one drum vertically on top of another. The lower drum has the normal UDS setup, the top drum has a long door to access slide out shelves. Can somebody direct me to the part of the thread that discusses this type of design.

Thanks

Dave
__________________
(3) 22.5" OTG Kettles; (2) 22.5" Kettles; (1) 18" Kettle; (1) Smokey Joe

Last edited by gjdad; 10-12-2010 at 03:42 PM..
gjdad is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #6959
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
colonel00's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-03-10
Location: Shawnee, KS
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Can't say that I have seen that before but I could have missed it. There are plenty of people that do stack drums though. Basically you want to cut the drum around the rib where the drum flares out. Then it will sit on the lip of your normal UDS and provide a decent seal. As far as the door, I like the idea but I fear you might have some serious air leaks. Especially if you want the door big enough to access large racks. Perhaps check and see how some people have made theirs stackable with different sections. This would essentially allow you to have 2-3 racks per section in the standard lift-out configuration.
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #6960
gjdad
On the road to being a farker
 
gjdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-10-10
Location: Wilmette Illinois
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Can't say that I have seen that before but I could have missed it. There are plenty of people that do stack drums though. Basically you want to cut the drum around the rib where the drum flares out. Then it will sit on the lip of your normal UDS and provide a decent seal. As far as the door, I like the idea but I fear you might have some serious air leaks. Especially if you want the door big enough to access large racks. Perhaps check and see how some people have made theirs stackable with different sections. This would essentially allow you to have 2-3 racks per section in the standard lift-out configuration.
Thanks, I was thinking I could use 16 gauge strips attached inside the opening with high temp calk in the ribs and weather stripping the entire opening to seal the door. I dont have any idea about latches yet. I will have a door at bottom to slide the fire basket in and out. A third door in the bottom drum to access the waterpan/drippan.
__________________
(3) 22.5" OTG Kettles; (2) 22.5" Kettles; (1) 18" Kettle; (1) Smokey Joe
gjdad is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ugly Drum Smoker ironslob Q-talk 2 09-19-2010 10:16 AM
Ugly Drum Smoker - Need Help Bartkowiakj Q-talk 10 06-18-2010 09:38 PM
One Ugly Drum Smoker Steve_B Q-talk 15 09-21-2009 10:32 PM
My (not-so) Ugly Drum Smoker. hav Q-talk 47 11-05-2008 02:30 PM
Ceramic Cooker Meets Ugly Drum Smoker - BUDCS - Concept Drum Discussion Hook_Line_and_Sinker Q-talk 9 04-26-2008 02:24 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts