拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #6466
pyroskier
Got rid of the matchlight.

Drum source in Los Angeles: For those in LA, Ditty Containers has used drums (reconditioned – cleaned and painted / no lining) for ~$35. http://www.ditty.com/contact.htm Hopes this helps. I am headed over there soon and will post some pics as soon as I get rolling on my UDS. Thanks in advance to all of the ideas and help on these pages.
pyroskier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #6467
owen299
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Evil Red Liner

Found a clean drum with a red liner and from what I've read the best way to remove is sandblasting. A local company will blast the interior for about $40. Is it worth messing with and will it make the drum useable? or should I keep looking for a better barrel/ I know the answer is in this forum somewhere but I could only look at 4000 of the 6466 posts.
owen299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #6468
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen299 View Post
Found a clean drum with a red liner and from what I've read the best way to remove is sandblasting. A local company will blast the interior for about $40. Is it worth messing with and will it make the drum useable? or should I keep looking for a better barrel/ I know the answer is in this forum somewhere but I could only look at 4000 of the 6466 posts.

I almost did the same thing. Until I found a place that had reconditioned open head drums non linered for sale for $45. Why give yourself more work than you need? I would keep trying and if all else fails you have access to at least a drum.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #6469
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stglide View Post
Jay... any chance of posting a pic or two of what you did? Would love to see how you did it.
Tks!
Sure, I'll take a few pics and try to post them.
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #6470
Jay871
Knows what a fatty is.

Stglide, Here are the pics of my basket hope it helps you out. I just used some stainless steel bolts and washers I had laying around. I put 8lbs of charcoal in it and it went for 15 hours at 250F.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6178.jpg (85.9 KB, 873 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6179.jpg (77.5 KB, 868 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6181.jpg (90.5 KB, 866 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6182.jpg (72.0 KB, 863 views)
Jay871 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #6471
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

How long are everyones pipe nipples for the intake on the bottom? The long ones I saw werent threaded the whole length for like 6" ones. They were just threaded at the ends. Will 1 1/2" long ones work or do they have to be a certain length?

Also it was very hard to find stainless stell hex bolts for the grill grate holders. I found some but they didnt have 1 3/4" they were just 1/2 inch increments. So will 1 1/2" and 2" work? or should I go 2" top and then 2 1/2" for bottom?

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #6472
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSizzlin View Post
How long are everyones pipe nipples for the intake on the bottom? The long ones I saw werent threaded the whole length for like 6" ones. They were just threaded at the ends. Will 1" long ones work or do they have to be a certain length?

Also it was very hard to find stainless stell hex bolts for the grill grate holders. I found some but they didnt have 1 3/4" they were just 1/2 inch increments. So will 1 1/2" and 2" work? or should I go 2" top and then 2 1/2" for bottom?
The only reason you need nipples are for the caps, so you can close the intakes. you can drill the holes and cover with magnets if you want. I use 1" nipples secured with conduit nuts. I also used 2' SS carriage bolts to hold my grates top and bottom, (4ea). They work fine. I only used SS for corrosion resistance.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]

Last edited by expatpig; 04-09-2011 at 07:00 PM..
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #6473
scoper223
Got Wood.

Just drilled my intakes and burned out my mineral oil drum. Paint came off very easily. So tomorrow its getting a quick sand and paint. Its going easier than expected. Might be seasoning by the weekend. Just wanted to give some props to all the contributors of this thread.
scoper223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #6474
stglide
On the road to being a farker

@ Jay871... Thanks!! That helps a lot! Appreciate it. That's what makes this site so great. A lot of great people willing to help out us fledglings...

Btw... SS wire.. found it tonite. Got to thinking about my old racing days, and remembered Safety Wire was SS. Dropped by the local O'Rielly's and picked some up! A little thinner than I liked, but easily solved by doing the old double twist.

Now I have options!!
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #6475
stglide
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay871 View Post
Sure, I'll take a few pics and try to post them.
Forgot to ask... What size grate did you use? Just curious...
Charbroil Quantum 5 burner
Brinkman SKD Offset w/ Mods
[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
stglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #6476
henno
Found some matches.

Does anybody else have any thoughts about my idea regarding using paint stripper to remove the dreaded orange lining that I asked on page 431?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #6477
stl-rich
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henno View Post
Does anybody else have any thoughts about my idea regarding using paint stripper to remove the dreaded orange lining that I asked on page 431?
Its a great idea if it works.

Try it and tell us how it works

Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #6478
thunderwagn
Full Fledged Farker

Sooo...this might have been mentioned before, and if it has, my bad... But I went to my basement today to grab some simple green to scrub in my uds a tad, when I saw a can of Easy Off Oven Cleaner. A little light went off. I am into rc cars, trucks and such, and some people use Easy off to strip paint and anodizing off metal parts.... I took the can and on my way out to nail the drum with it I noticed it even has for bbq grills on it. I did a few long hot burns on my drum and was able to sand and wire wheel the vast majority of the red liner off. However, there was some still present in the pits of the metal and harder to reach areas. I sprayed on some Easy Off and waited about 5 minutes and Whala! It wiped off... I went to the garage and grabbed the lid that had not recieved any treatment or sanding at all. The most I had done is place the lid on the barrel one nite to help snuff the coals that remained. I sprayed a spot on the lid and after about 20 minutes I took a scrubber brush to it. It comes right off.

Not the greatest of pictures, and out in the sun a haze formed, but I think it demonstrates it enough.
I am sure there will be the nay sayers and the like that will say it will kill you and give your children and what not the skizzles, but if you can use it in the oven and be safe and the same with a bbq pit, then why not an UDS? I wouldn't leave it on too terribly wrong cause I am sure it cant be all that great for the meta, but hey, it seems to work. I am sure if its used in a responsible manner, and rinsed well, and sealed with a good seasoning, dont know how it could be a bad thing... Me I know what I am stripping the rest of the lid with...

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #6479
BruceKWHP
Full Fledged Farker

A cure for yhe dreaded red liner? Easy Off? Awesome post!
BruceKWHP is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #6480
BruceKWHP
Full Fledged Farker

A cure for the dreaded red liner? Easy Off? Awesome post!
BruceKWHP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker