The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #5851
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Robinson View Post
Haha...well I guess I can always periodically apply fresh coats. Screw it...I'm cooking on this thing tomorrow!
That's exactly what I decided to do!

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #5852
gbh52
Found some matches.

Cool UDS Question

Question for the Brothers who are much smarter than me on the subject.

I have read the whole thing over the past months and I've seen posts where people are having problems controlling the temps. A common response or question to the question is how well does the top fit? Does it leak etc. Question is this, what difference (within reason) does it make if the top does not seal? Is that not just another exhaust port so to speak? Again within reason.

I'm asking because so far I have assembled everything needed for zero cost! Which was my goal and why it has taken so long. The donated drum was a refurb with the red liner. During the burn outs (and it was the mother of all burnouts) partially melted the damn thing. I was going to toss it and start over but I though what the hey. After a day of metal working have it in pretty good shape but I'm not sure about how the top fits. Was about to break down and have the interior sand blasted but am I wasting my $20 if it leaks a bit? No the top was not included in the MOB (mother of all burn outs), if I finish this drum I will include photos of the burn and subsequent barrell stretching actiivties.
gbh52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #5853
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My MUDS is going to that big smokehouse in the sky. :(

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #5854
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
My MUDS is going to that big smokehouse in the sky. :(
We shall all morn for your loss.
When will services be held?

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #5855
firecracker jack
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Questions about use of drums

Scored three drums for 40$, but uncertain if burning them out will make them safe? Two of the drums are the opened ended type that I intended to use for smokers. The third was a closed ended drum that I wanted to cut into approximately thirds, and use each end of it for lids for the two other drums.
The gentleman said that the two open ended drums contained acrylic that was encapsulated in jell-caps.....No liquid was in contact with the inside of the drum....Opened them up and they were relatively clean(bare meatal) with a little powder in the bottom. There is a definate odor. Was going to wash them out and see if the odor goes away and then burn them out. Is anyone at all fimiliar with such a content?...What do you think?

The other drum I'm definately a little more concearned with. It contained Isotropyl acetate, and the label says not to reuse container unless professionally cleaned....I bought a reconditioned drum some time ago and that was baked back to bare metal (which is what I would guess would be considered professionally cleaned). I was also told that it was a carbon based chemical, which I thought I heard could be successfully removed by burnig out the barrel. Again this drum would basically be used as the lids for the drums and not the entire vessel. This drum was missing the small cap out of the top and I smelled it and didn't really notice any strong odors, like it has been empty for some time?

Does anyone have any opinions or info concerning the contents of these drums, and burning them out.

Burn 'em and eat, or chit can 'em and be safe and alive and stuff?
firecracker jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #5856
dataz722
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Robinson View Post
I spent the evening building my UDS. This is what I did for the fire basket. I have no welding skills so I did what I could...any suggestions:

I used the charcoal pan and grate (15.5") from my ECBrinkmann for the ash pan and charcoal grate:

I used two 24" x 12" sheets of expanded steel from Lowes and used hex bolts and washers to secure them together. Then I used tin snips to cut and fold the bottom so I could secure the basket to the grate and pan with more bolts and washers.

Then I drilled 1/4" holes about every 3 inches around the ash pan for airflow to the bottom of the charcoal grate.

That looks pretty familiar to me doc!
dataz722 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2010, 04:07 AM   #5857
PoppaSmoke
Found some matches.

So, if I DON'T have an old BBQ for the ash tray, what else would do the trick?
PoppaSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #5858
Dr_KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButzBBQ View Post
We shall all morn for your loss.
When will services be held?
Could be as soon as next weekend I can't stand the thought of not having one more good burn. She's got a rust hole in the side that is not repairable so I'm thinking a high heat yardbird cook then striping her down so all ger goodness can be used in another MUDS. I won't reuse the thermo though as I intend to leave her with some dignity.

She did one hell of a good job for the MIL's 60th birthday the week before but it was all a bit much for the little drum that could.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009

Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #5859
Doc Robinson
Found some matches.

My first cook on my UDS couldn't have been better. Brisket and Yukon Gold potatoes rubbed in warm bacon grease and rolled in equal parts salt, pepper, white sugar, paprika, garlic salt, sage, and parsley to coat really well.

I was shocked at how fast the UDS cooked this 5 lb. brisket flat...it was about 6.5 hours. The temperature was very easy to control as well. I think I started with about 10 lbs. of charcoal in the basket and still have about 7 lbs. left for the next cook.
Doc Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM   #5860
rockyathabaska
On the road to being a farker

Here's a UDS question to put out there.
When I cook on my UDS is it OK to use my top grill instead of the lower grill?
Am I not respecting the 24" rule?[ 24"minimum?]
Seems in a lot of the pron that you guys are going ahead on the top shelf.
I'm also thinking that a thermo on the lid would be a real asset.
Rockyathabaska

18"weber kettle
22.5"weber kettle
performer
UDS
weber gasser
rockyathabaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #5861
Dr_KY

It's fine to use the top grill in fact it's the only one I use.

Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
Grand Champions 2009

Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #5862
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
It's fine to use the top grill in fact it's the only one I use.
Me too unless I have too much meat for the top then I use the lower one.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #5863
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbh52 View Post
Question for the Brothers who are much smarter than me on the subject.

I have read the whole thing over the past months and I've seen posts where people are having problems controlling the temps. A common response or question to the question is how well does the top fit? Does it leak etc. Question is this, what difference (within reason) does it make if the top does not seal? Is that not just another exhaust port so to speak? Again within reason.

I'm asking because so far I have assembled everything needed for zero cost! Which was my goal and why it has taken so long. The donated drum was a refurb with the red liner. During the burn outs (and it was the mother of all burnouts) partially melted the damn thing. I was going to toss it and start over but I though what the hey. After a day of metal working have it in pretty good shape but I'm not sure about how the top fits. Was about to break down and have the interior sand blasted but am I wasting my $20 if it leaks a bit? No the top was not included in the MOB (mother of all burn outs), if I finish this drum I will include photos of the burn and subsequent barrell stretching actiivties.
I took a pair of channel locks and bent the rim out on a Weber Kettle lid and placed it on the drum and took a rubber hammer to it. When I first start cooking you will see the smoke rolling under the lid but then after a few minutes it goes away. I have no problem maintaining temps and can shut it down within a few minutes by closing the exhaust and intakes. The more you cook on it the more "seasoned" it will get and the lid will fit better.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #5864
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

As Rich says-that's the answer I was thinking
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #5865
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaSmoke View Post
So, if I DON'T have an old BBQ for the ash tray, what else would do the trick?
I bought two of these and they work great as an ash pan.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pizza-Pans-Black...item51922a2bb5

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker