ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-01-2010, 05:06 PM   #5401
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp View Post
So i have all my parts for my first UDS. however, i have not landed any expanded metal yet. i called a metal fab shop near me and the guy said he has some but he asked me what kind. i did not know so i told him i would call him back.

I am assuming he was talking about the guage but i really dont know because i dont know much about expanded metal. Can someone let me know the preferred type of expanded metal used. I tried skimming back through this thread because i remember reading about it, but i could not find it.
You want 3/4" x #9 if you want to do what Norco suggests. I did.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #5402
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
You want 3/4" x #9 if you want to do what Norco suggests. I did.
Im new here so i am not sure who norco is. I also dont remember seeing his suggestion. but thank you for the information.
NoviceBBQmovinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #5403
brotherbd
On the road to being a farker

Default Expanded In Phoenix

I found Metals Supermarket here in Dallas, Tx and will be getting my 9 gage 3/4" Expanded metal from them.

Did a quick look on their storefinder and they have a store in Phoenix and lots of other places also.

Here's their web address:

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/MSC-Home.aspx

They have been nice folks to work with. (This is not an endoresement, I don't work for them, just trying to help folks find what they need.)

I'm getting about a half sheet because I'm building multiple drums, my cost will be about $13 for each 8 x 48 piece.

I found a shop that would do it for me but I would have to buy the whole sheet whether or not I took it all. It was going to cost about $100 but I would have had 12 8x48 pieces, not bad at $8.33 each but at most I needed 5 right now. So Metal Supermarket looks like my best bet.

Hope this helps you and others, expanded for a reasonable price can be hard to find.

Most shops, especially if they don't use the stuff much, are going to charge you for a full sheet. Metal supermarkets are a little higher but since you only need a little bit it's not too bad a price.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em (ribs that is!)

brotherbd

Quote:
So i have all my parts for my first UDS. however, i have not landed any expanded metal yet. i called a metal fab shop near me and the guy said he has some but he asked me what kind. i did not know so i told him i would call him back.

I am assuming he was talking about the guage but i really dont know because i dont know much about expanded metal. Can someone let me know the preferred type of expanded metal used. I tried skimming back through this thread because i remember reading about it, but i could not find it.
brotherbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #5404
brotherbd

Default Whatchacallit?

By the way if you're not sure what you looking for to make your charcoal basket out of here's what you tell them you want or if you're on the net this is what it is.

Hot Rolled Steel, Expanded Sheet, .75 (or 3/4) x 9 gage, Flattened

Flattened is what I prefer you may want raised that's definately your choice.

This stuff is typically available in 4' x 8' sheets

If they just chop it off the end your diamonds will be vertical. You will probably want to try to have them orient the slit length with the length of your piece. If you want it horizontal make sure you ask for it that way, thay may also charge a little more because it requires them cutting the sheet in half and then rotating the piece.

Hope this helps,

brotherbd

Unread 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #5405
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Im new here so i am not sure who norco is. I also dont remember seeing his suggestion. but thank you for the information.
Here is Norco's great thread which is well worth the read.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...1&postcount=86

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #5406
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

Default thanks

Brotherbd and HeSmellsLikeSmoke.....AWESOME! thank you both so much for your advice. this helps a ton! now i need to make a few phone calls and begin the build.
I just got my Drum back from the sandblaster (i cant burn it, i called the fire department and they said no, and my hoa said no) Anyways, it looks pretty good, not sure if i should clean it out with a rag and some cleaner or not but ill decided that tomorrow.

thanks again

Unread 03-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #5407
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

This is what I plan on using for my build:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9302t89

Its trade size is 3/4"-9. It's .120" thick and the mesh "strands" are .164" wide. The diamond-shaped openings are .563" x 1.688". This seemed like a nice, beefy mesh that wouldn't burn up too quickly, with openings that aren't so large that the smaller pieces of lump charcoal filter through to the ash pan.

Not having built my UDS yet, I leave it to those with REAL experience to tell me if I'm wrong. ;-)

EDIT: Looks like I was a little slow with my reply, but at least I was on the right track!
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #5408
BadHorsieBBQ

Thumbs up

The sun came out and I took advantage of it. Completely finished now. Man I had not welded since high school. My welding was borderline barbaric.

Now I will Do a season Burn on my next day Off.
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #5409
NASCARican
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ View Post
The sun came out and I took advantage of it. Completely finished now. Man I had not welded since high school. My welding was borderline barbaric.

Now I will Do a season Burn on my next day Off.
Like your shake stick dude!! good Idea!
NASCARican is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #5410
brotherbd

Default Pricing and shipping

Rodney,

It looks like the same product at Metal Supermarket might be about five dollars cheaper for the same 24"x24" size, you'd have to look at shipping rates also. Sometimes the shipping charges can get out of hand and can make a big difference too.

Not arguing, just saying,

brotherbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
This is what I plan on using for my build:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9302t89

Its trade size is 3/4"-9. It's .120" thick and the mesh "strands" are .164" wide. The diamond-shaped openings are .563" x 1.688". This seemed like a nice, beefy mesh that wouldn't burn up too quickly, with openings that aren't so large that the smaller pieces of lump charcoal filter through to the ash pan.

Not having built my UDS yet, I leave it to those with REAL experience to tell me if I'm wrong. ;-)

EDIT: Looks like I was a little slow with my reply, but at least I was on the right track!

Unread 03-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #5411
BadHorsieBBQ

Thanks NASCARican. Just my attempt at not having to kick or open the UDS to dislodge some of the ash.
BadHorsieBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #5412
UVaJester
Knows what a fatty is.

Are there issues with 1/2" expande metal..?!? Haven't built my basket yet, but that's all I could find. Thanks again...

Jester
UVaJester is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #5413
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

Default nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHorsieBBQ View Post
Thanks NASCARican. Just my attempt at not having to kick or open the UDS to dislodge some of the ash.
if its not to much trouble, can you take a picture up close of the shaker stick from the outside of the barrel AND one closer showing attached to the basket, you have a great idea it looks like

Unread 03-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #5414
BadHorsieBBQ

Quote:
if its not to much trouble, can you take a picture up close of the shaker stick from the outside of the barrel AND one closer showing attached to the basket, you have a great idea it looks like
I will snap the requested pics in the morning.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #5415
Rodney
Full Fledged Farker

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Brotherbd: Yeah, it's cheaper at the other place, and I considered going that route, but I get next day ground shipping for cheap from McMaster and I'll be buying some other hardware from there anyway. I'm sure that for many other people the place you shared with us would be the better choice. Thanks for that link, by the way... I'll probably use them at some point for one of my clients. It's nice to see that you can buy specially cut pieces of stock material online!

-r
Char-Broil Commercial Series Gasser, ECB, MECO 4400 charcoal grill, 22.5" OTS, UDS built 3/20/2010 ([URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=291"]Pics[/URL], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCyKypslPhs"]Video[/url])
Maverick ET-7 and ET-73, home-built 18A sous vide temperature controller
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
My blog: [url="http://think-create-eat.blogspot.com"] THINK + CREATE + EAT[/url] - [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/THINK-CREATE-EAT/115706441783448"]"Like" on Facebook[/URL]

[B][COLOR=red]"Meat: It's what's for dinner. And lunch, breakfast, dessert..."[/COLOR][/B]
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker