The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #5206
dsmith27
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

ok ive been reading and reading this and cant exactly find what im looking for, i know its in here somewhere but if someone can help id appreciate it!!! Im in process of making a uds with the ball valve and 3 nipple and caps. My lid is the eight hole design. I was wondering what is the best coal and wood combo and how much of each to hold to get the longest use out of... lets say i was going to smoke some brisket, how much would i use and at what temp would be best. Thanks everyone and i appreciate any help.. Ive been reading on this website for about a week and i just love how everyone is so willing to help others out
dsmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #5207
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Just load up the basket with whatever it will hold. You can reuse on next cook. Add four or five chunks mixed in the basket and smoke on
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #5208
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default second grate cooking

Howdy folks.

Have been thinking of adding a second grate to my UDS, but can't decide on a height for it.

The charcoal basket is 5-6" off the bottom of the drum, and is about 8" deep. The top grate is just about 24" from the bottom grate of the basket.

I'm intereste in cooking beans in the UDS - want all that good smoked drippings flavor from putting the beans under the meat on the top grate. If I plan to cook in a stockpot kind of utensil I will probably end up with a second grate that will be too close to the fire. Alternative is to use a foil pan for the beans (bought plenty at Costco) so that the second grate only has to be 4-5" or so below the second grate.

The second grate would then be about 20" from the bottom of the basket. Is that too close to cook some ribs or chops on there when I need the space? Would I end up spending alot of time flipping grates and such and then going crazy chasing temps?
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #5209
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Howdy folks.

Have been thinking of adding a second grate to my UDS, but can't decide on a height for it.

The charcoal basket is 5-6" off the bottom of the drum, and is about 8" deep. The top grate is just about 24" from the bottom grate of the basket.

I'm intereste in cooking beans in the UDS - want all that good smoked drippings flavor from putting the beans under the meat on the top grate. If I plan to cook in a stockpot kind of utensil I will probably end up with a second grate that will be too close to the fire. Alternative is to use a foil pan for the beans (bought plenty at Costco) so that the second grate only has to be 4-5" or so below the second grate.

The second grate would then be about 20" from the bottom of the basket. Is that too close to cook some ribs or chops on there when I need the space? Would I end up spending alot of time flipping grates and such and then going crazy chasing temps?
I think that 20" height would work. The only thing I would worry about is that the heat get hot enough to start burning the beans. To avoid this, you would need to remove the top rack and stir the beans often, this would then lead to that problem of going crazy chasing temps. Maybe a diffuser under the second grate would help deflect the heat. I even thaought about some kind of cross bar strong enough to hang a DO from but even then, I would worry about scorching and burning and either way it makes being able to stir em a pain.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #5210
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
I think that 20" height would work. The only thing I would worry about is that the heat get hot enough to start burning the beans. To avoid this, you would need to remove the top rack and stir the beans often, this would then lead to that problem of going crazy chasing temps. Maybe a diffuser under the second grate would help deflect the heat. I even thaought about some kind of cross bar strong enough to hang a DO from but even then, I would worry about scorching and burning and either way it makes being able to stir em a pain.
Never thought about possibly burning the beans. I guess a cheap pizza pan on the charcoal basket might work as a diffuser.

If I place the beans off to the side and position my hinged weber top grate appropriately, I might be able to sneak in a quick stir without causing too much commotion.

Would a pizza pan diffuser change the cooking time for ribs significantly or would 3-2-1 still hold?
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge

Unread 02-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #5211
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Never thought about possibly burning the beans. I guess a cheap pizza pan on the charcoal basket might work as a diffuser.

If I place the beans off to the side and position my hinged weber top grate appropriately, I might be able to sneak in a quick stir without causing too much commotion.

Would a pizza pan diffuser change the cooking time for ribs significantly or would 3-2-1 still hold?
I have only been playing with the diffuser idea for the new drum that I'm almost finished building. I haven't actually use done yet, but want to give one a try. Hinged grate idea should work perfectly. It will allow you to stir em good enough. The only thing I've heard about using a diffuser is that you will use up a bit more fuel than normal, but times and temps stay the same pretty much, you may just need to crack the intakes open a bit more to get the temps where you want em.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #5212
MariettaSmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I'm having trouble with temps on the UDS. It will cruise along between 225-250 and then all of a sudden it wants to go crazy and spike. Then it will go down to 200 and ride a bit there and then go back to normal. What's going on with this thing? Also, my fire died out after ant 14 hrs this past smoke. Basket was full of coals when I dumped chimney on it. Any suggestions?

Unread 02-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #5213
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaSmoker View Post
I'm having trouble with temps on the UDS. It will cruise along between 225-250 and then all of a sudden it wants to go crazy and spike. Then it will go down to 200 and ride a bit there and then go back to normal. What's going on with this thing? Also, my fire died out after ant 14 hrs this past smoke. Basket was full of coals when I dumped chimney on it. Any suggestions?

Did you bump the drum to shake some ash loose? The ash may have been choking the fire. I bought some sort of lawn sprinkler adjusting rod from HD for $2... slim enough to slide in throught the intake and wiggle the basket. Or just stick anything through the intake and shake the basket a bit.

Unread 02-22-2010, 01:58 PM   #5214
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaSmoker View Post
Are you burning lump or briquettes? I have found I make far more ash with briquettes and they require de-ashing.

I can get 20 hours on one 10lb bag of Royal Oak no problem.

For the spikes and drops get the UDS at the temp you want then just watch it, don't open it or adjust anything, let it even out and see if it stays at temp. After 30 minutes at a temp you can make adjustments. My problem was fiddling with the intake to much and not just letting it do it's thing.

Unread 02-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #5215
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

The new intake JD is messing with, is there a need for air flow on the opposite side of the barrel, or is the slider intake adequate by itself ? Any ideas would be appreciated.
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #5216
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
The new intake JD is messing with, is there a need for air flow on the opposite side of the barrel, or is the slider intake adequate by itself ? Any ideas would be appreciated.
I am using the Big Green Egg draft vent on one side only. I have only done two cooks on it so far, but so far, so good. The burned coals were very even.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #5217
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Probably only need the one. When I cook only one intake is open on my UDS. I think having more would be nice if you wanted to get it hotter than say 300 or so, then I have to open a second intake.

Unread 02-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #5218
pigdog
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

I've never seen an egg up close, is the air intake similar to jd's?
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #5219
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I've never seen an egg up close, is the air intake similar to jd's?
If you look back at post #5165 you can see my BGE draft door.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #5220
MariettaSmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
Are you burning lump or briquettes? I have found I make far more ash with briquettes and they require de-ashing.

I can get 20 hours on one 10lb bag of Royal Oak no problem.

For the spikes and drops get the UDS at the temp you want then just watch it, don't open it or adjust anything, let it even out and see if it stays at temp. After 30 minutes at a temp you can make adjustments. My problem was fiddling with the intake to much and not just letting it do it's thing.
I'm actually burning briquettes. So it would better to use lump? Is lump more or less expensive? And of I get lump can you recommend one for me? Never used it before and don't know the INS and outs of it.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker