ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #5176
dubster
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Nice UDS build, dubster!
Thanks! I will be doin a couple of fattys on her tomorrow evening. Will be posting some pron in my thread on them. Should be wonderful!
dubster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #5177
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Lovely! Uh, I mean UGLY!

Unread 02-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #5178
dsmith27
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
Finallly got around to making my drum. I've been reading this thread since it only had about 150 pages and have read all of them since. I've also read every other site I could find, so I didn't really have any questions when I fianlly jumped in. I just wanted a simple, decent looking drum that was easy to operate. Anyway, he's the final product.

Loaded up with 20 lbs of butt.

Flipped half way through.

Pulled and ready to eat!!!

If you are looking to build one and have trouble locating expanded metal, Go to the closet organizer section in Home Depot and pick up one of these (11 bucks) it measures 16"x16" and is 10" deep. Just have to burn off the paint.

I realized I had galvanized washers and replaced them prior to use.
Hey i REALLY like those smoke stacks..where did you get those or how did you make them? thanks
dsmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #5179
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

So where can i find some expanded metal that is not 24x12 or 24x24 like at the lowes and HD by my house. Is there a place i can get to cut me a piece that is about 8x45. please chime in and tell me how you all got your larger pieces of expanded metal and what guage you picked that was not to weak but was still able to bend it into a circle. thanks!!!
NoviceBBQmovinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #5180
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Novice, check out one of your local metal fabrication shops. They usually have 6 to 8 inch x 48 inch cut offs that are real cheap and the perfect length. And, they are much much heavier metal. I get them around here for free to maybe $6.00. If you get it free, take them a few fatties for lunch break one day and then the cut offs will always be free.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #5181
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp View Post
So where can i find some expanded metal that is not 24x12 or 24x24 like at the lowes and HD by my house. Is there a place i can get to cut me a piece that is about 8x45. please chime in and tell me how you all got your larger pieces of expanded metal and what guage you picked that was not to weak but was still able to bend it into a circle. thanks!!!
I used Norco's suggested 3/4" x #9 expanded metal. I got a 3' x 4' drop for $21. It is easy to cut on a bench saw with a metal blade. It is pretty stiff to bend into a circle, but it can be done with a little effort.

If you cut it 8 1/4" wide you will be right in the middle of the joint between the diamonds so you won't end up with unclosed diamonds and therefore ragged edges.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #5182
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Lowe's or HD around here do not carry expanded metal. I was able to get mine from a steel mill locally. They must get a lot of calls, because when you walk in to their sales office, there is a big stack of precut expanded steel labeled for BBQ use

I was able to easily cut mine with an angle grinder and appropriate disc. I found that expanded metal is much easier to bend when it is 60* outside vs when it is 30* outside. Which suggests that if you run a hair dryer over the expanded metal for a little bit, it might be a little easier to bend.
EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | Ladybug SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with red nipples | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | Simpsons OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | LBGE | sbge | mini bge
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #5183
dubster
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
If you cut it 8 1/4" wide you will be right in the middle of the joint between the diamonds so you won't end up with unclosed diamonds and therefore ragged edges.
If you put the ragged edges on the bottom it wont matter, and you wont filet yourself when playin' with your basket
dubster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #5184
Stef
Knows what a fatty is.

For those who can't get it locally, you can buy 12" x 48" sections if expanded metal from Yale Steel.

Last edited by Stef; 02-19-2010 at 02:57 PM..
Stef is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #5185
5laps2many
Found some matches.

Schweet lookin UDS's Pit boss. So, who's the lucky recipient of the other one?
5laps2many is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #5186
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Man this thread is loooong, Just read the first 50 pages and still have over 300 to go!!
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #5187
Skidder
Babbling Farker

I'm thinking the world was ready for a homemade pit that could be made on the cheap and works. Three quarters of a million hits sure proves it.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #5188
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBully View Post
I can get some brand new 55 gallon drums, that have a removable lid for 40 bucks. How much more would it cost to build my own??

Im not sure if you contacted me about Greif. It cost me maybe 150.00 with the price of the brand new drum for all parts. Expanded metal, weber grate, and ball valve were the expensive pieces. I also splurged on some good high temp paint.
Any questions let me know
kris
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #5189
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBully View Post
Man this thread is loooong, Just read the first 50 pages and still have over 300 to go!!
Take notes with post numbers or bookmark them for anything you think you might want to find again.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #5190
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneleven View Post
OK, I'm gonna look thru this thread more thoroughly but in the mean time does anyone have any advice for finding a drum around town besides Craigslist? Like a business or any other kinds of places that typically have leftover drums that would be usuable, or maybe a place online? I dont need it be free or even that dirt cheap but less than $100 shipped at the very least otherwise it starts to defeat the purpose cost wise. I found this but it's over $150 w/shipping. Any advice?

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...drum-open-head

Stepheneleven, I sent you a private message but didn't hear back from you. If you're even remotely considering spending $150.00 on a drum, please check your PMs and or look at this thread...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=78492

The guy I get my drums from is about midway between Milwaukee and Madison. $15.00 each non-lined, smooth sided, one use 55 gallon drum, with lid and clamp ring.

Anyone local to northern IL or Wisconsin feel free to PM for contact info.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker