A Question for Competitors

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have a quick question for people who have bbq teams, especially those in the north east.

If there was an event that you were inclined to attend just based on goodwill towards the organizers and other attendees, would the following description sway you to attend, keep you inclined but undecided or turn you away:

2 day event.
Early summer.
Non-cash prizes.
$100.00 fee per team (total).
1 meal provided by the hosts.
Gift bag for each team.
Total teams limited to 20.
4 prize categories, with first to third in each, overall and reserve champion. Each having prizes.

Thanks for your opinions. It means alot!

Eric

here is my read

I would guess that there is no money at the contest but unless I had another big competing event that weekend, that discription would sway me towards attending, particuraly if I was (as you wrote) already predisposed towards the organizers. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further.

If it not a "state championship" you might get little entries.

Eric,

Based on your criteria... here's my initial reaction/thoughts if it were a full BBQ contest and not quick grilling categories...

1) If it was fairly close to my house..then yes.
2) If it was for a good cause that was worthwhile supporting..then yes
3) The location needs to have adequate with water, electric, dumpsters and ice availability.
4) Early summer might be tough with other viable contests around and/or personal obligations or events
5) Would it be sanctioned ? Who would be judging ?

Trophies would be a plus if cash was not an option.

As some people might remember I joined the brethren to investigate the feasibility of assisting my niece in running a charity based event for her Girl Scout Gold Award.

We are still looking into that and all the proceeds would be going to charity (most likely one that is related to 9/11 based endeavors).

This is all very tentative and could be run next year as likely as this.

Thanks for the opinions!

Eric

Im in.. You bring the Girl Scouts and I'll bring the Boy scouts to help out. :)

motoeric, keep us updated on this. I may try the very same thing, and would be interested to see how it goes for you.

In response to your questions, I think those who are inclined, would stay inclined. Since there is no cash prizes, you may want to look for one more 'hook'. Charity is obviously one. How about a local celeb as another, or some kind of appearance from a local chef. Just a thought.

Lastly, any reason not to accept your limitations and make it a one day Chicken/Rib/Anything Butt event, seeing as how you are not sanctioning it?

Unsanctioned isnt the best idea
Teams that dont know you will shy away

ThomEmery said:
Unsanctioned isnt the best idea
Teams that dont know you will shy away

Thom is one of the hardest working comp organizers in the west, so his opinion counts!

On the other hand, bear in mind motoeric's goals. He may only want '20' participants. Good discussion all around.

I would agree with Vinne if its local and for a good couse. then i would use it as a practice cook and still be helping someone so its win/win

Let me clarify two points:

1) There would be prizes, and they would be pretty cool, they just wouldn't be cash.

2) If there was any possible way to have it sanctioned cheaply it would certainly happen, but bringing in someone from KCBS and paying their expenses would be a killer.

Thanks VERY much for all the opinions. I really appreciate it.

Eric

Eric
I am sure one of the Brothers in your area can hook you up
with at the very least a KCBS "like" contest

Your in the North East
Yes?
If you were in the South West I would do the deal for you for free

The main thing is teams know what your doing and whats expected if you use one of the sanctioning formats

G$ said:
Thom is one of the hardest working comp organizers in the west, so his opinion counts!

On the other hand, bear in mind motoeric's goals. He may only want '20' participants. Good discussion all around.

G$ Thanks but you forgot to mention I full of beans

I would stress that part of the entrance fee would be going to charity, especially a 9/11 based charity. I would be interested.

Also, are the prizes trophies or are there trophies in addition to prizes?

First - Lots of contests are not sanctioned...
Many of them are good ones that are well attended. Usually for charity. The key is that many of them are only attended by local teams, as there is not a good venue to spread awareness - sanctioning gets you on the KCBS ( or other body's) calendar. Those orgs are what get the word out, unless you can afford to do mass marketing. Nationwide RV did this last year - lots of radio airtime, and got a fine turnout. Some grow via word of mouth.

I can say, that if entry is $100, and you are limited to 20 teams.... it would be very easy to spend more than that getting it together. You would need alot of donations to pull it off, before even worrying about prizes.

I cooked 14 sanctioned contests, and 4 unsanctioned events... and the unsanctioned events were every bit as good as the sanctioned ones. If you are running for points, or high payouts... like have to stick with sanctioned events.... if you are in it for fun, charity, or just to have a good rowdy showdown, unsanctioned should be fine.

We had a unsanctioned event go sour in Calif last year
Winners checks were no good etc.
But sure you can have a great 20 contest without
But following rules that teams are familar with is a good idea

ThomEmery said:
G$ Thanks but you forgot to mention I full of beans

Oh they know that. (BTW look for a PM sometime today)

Back