MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #46
iceboxbbq
On the road to being a farker

I would also would be interested in anything you want to share Norcoredneck

Outlaw char-grill w/sfb ( for sale)
iceboxbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 08:52 PM   #47
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

My bottom grate is just about 2 feet over my fire. Haven't really measured it. Top grate is about 6" from the top. Bottom grate is about 6" below that. I can do briskets and butts on the top shelf with the flat lid on and 20lb turkeys with the weber lid on.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #48
ultramag
Full Fledged Farker

How tall is your barrel BM? Inside preferably. I am figuring I need to find 39 to 40 inch minimum. Thanks!

Has anyone ever burnt and/or ground out the lining of a barrel? Research is turning up that it is just an epoxy based rust inhibitor. The ones my neighbor had were chipping up by the lip at the lid and were apparently good bare metal underneath. Not really something I want to do for fun, but if worse comes to worse I could go up there and measure until I found what I needed. These barrels have only had cooking oil in them.

I would have never thought there was this much variation in barrel dimensions for a 55 gal. barrel. A few sites had the barrel measurements and there were several different sizes all supposedly 55 gallon.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:16 PM   #49
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck
MISTA,
How far are your grates from the fire? I have ways of making the cooker with no welding. Real simple. If people want I will word document my ideas. But as everyone knows there are 1000 ways to do the same thing. Only problem I have is it will probably upset Rocky at BDS. I would have bought one of his but could not justify the cost with shipping and all. I have a couple of welders a plasms cutter and a gnarly set of toos. i had big plans but found simple approach the best. You could do this without minimal work, believe me. Maybe if Mista is ready for an addition I can help him and he could sharpen his photo/fabrication skills along the way. Don't have time to proof read, excuse spelling.

Hey Norco, I just pm'd ya'....I'd love to see the plans !!!

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2007, 01:57 AM   #50
JamesB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
MISTA,
How far are your grates from the fire? I have ways of making the cooker with no welding. Real simple. If people want I will word document my ideas. But as everyone knows there are 1000 ways to do the same thing. Only problem I have is it will probably upset Rocky at BDS. I would have bought one of his but could not justify the cost with shipping and all. I have a couple of welders a plasms cutter and a gnarly set of toos. i had big plans but found simple approach the best. You could do this without minimal work, believe me. Maybe if Mista is ready for an addition I can help him and he could sharpen his photo/fabrication skills along the way. Don't have time to proof read, excuse spelling.
Post the document if you want to. Rocky did not invent the barrel cooker... It's been around for years!

Rocky builds a good cooker, but one can build one for much less than the purchase price of a BDS... I built my first one years ago, long before Rocky was selling them and the design was not new then... My first one was built for under $10. My dad had a barrel and I picked up the grates on clearance for $2 each. A few nuts, bolts and a couple of drill bits later I was cooking! My original has rusted out now, so I'm planning on building another one this summer... This time I will have to buy a barrel so it will cost a bit more than the first one. This time, I will use a fire ring from a WSM and I think I will copy that ball valve idea from this post for the intake! Gotta love that fat in the fire flavor!

James.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2007, 02:17 AM   #51
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Todays reward

Nice!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #52
SmokeyBear
is one Smokin' Farker

Where are good places to find barrels other than ordering one from somewhere?
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #53
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB
Post the document if you want to. Rocky did not invent the barrel cooker... It's been around for years! James.
Let's just say that Rocky fine tuned the drum and the cooking techniques that work so well with his designs. He is a very good dude and has a real passion for barbecue, regardless of the cook or the cooker.

It's obvious when you visit with him just how proud Rocky is of his product and I'm sure he realized early on that something like this lends itself to copying .... but on the other hand, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Keep us posted as you build your drum.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #54
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear
Where are good places to find barrels other than ordering one from somewhere?
I put a want add in Craigs List for one. No hits yet
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 AM   #55
swamprb

I cut the lip off the top of the 2 drums I have and the 22.5" Weber lid fits fine ( I ran a bead of Hi-Temp silicone gasket around the inside edge of the lid for a firmer fit) Norcoredneck-Is the ball valve the only intake on your smoker?
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #56
JamesB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
Let's just say that Rocky fine tuned the drum and the cooking techniques that work so well with his designs. He is a very good dude and has a real passion for barbecue, regardless of the cook or the cooker.

It's obvious when you visit with him just how proud Rocky is of his product and I'm sure he realized early on that something like this lends itself to copying .... but on the other hand, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Keep us posted as you build your drum.
As I said, Rocky builds a good cooker for sure. If he didn't folks would not buy it... All I was trying to say was that any other person can also build one. Folks have been cooking on barrels of similar design for years. I know that I have. Alsom, I did not imitate Rocky's design. I actually built my first barrel cooker the same year that Rocky purchased his first (might be only) Klose pit. A good bit before the BDS came to be. I wish Rocky and the BDS all the luck in the world. Heck if Danny Gaulden says that it is a good cooker then it is!

I'll post pictures of my next barrel build once i get back into town and track down a suitable barrel...

James.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #57
Norcoredneck

I have 3. I used a hole saw and cut(drilled) holes so 3/4" pipe threaded into the holes. I put 2 3/4"X1/2" pipe bushings (black iron not galvanized) into 2 holes. Pipe plugs to close those off. I put 1 3/4" pipe nipple into third hole (black pipe not galvanized) and threaded 3/4" ball valve. My idea is plug 2 holes and use valve, if more air needed remove plug and tune with valve, remove 2 and tune with valve. The other day I had 1 out and valve @ 1/4 open. I welded the bushings and pipe in on mine. Someone could use conduit nuts on the inside if not able to weld. On the pipe bushings more like gooberd, black iron does not take to welding. But they are in there for the long run.

Metal Conduit Fitting Locknuts .

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2007, 02:38 AM   #58
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

People in Norco get to play with cool chit!
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 AM   #59
Norcoredneck

Only during their allocated play period, or unless the family has some school project due tomorrow/emergency situation. I'm sure you have all been there. If you are curious and not bored go to photobucket.com and search "norcoredneck" and check out the electric smoker I made for work. Worked out great, real hit at work since no fire is allowed.
Link:
http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...dneck/?start=0

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!

Last edited by Norcoredneck; 01-11-2007 at 07:49 AM..
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #60
Bigmista

Norco,

Do you have something in the bottom to catch the ash or d you just dump the whole barrel?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote