THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brother-n-law-BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Who is doing this and how?? I like the idea of being able to cook 6 racks at a time on my drum, BUT I dont think I would be able to relax thinking the whole time one of the racks would fall in the fire!What am I missing?

You need some SS butcher hooks and a 22" diameter ring with 2 bars welded parallel inside the ring to hang the racks from. Or you can drill thru the sides of the drum and use rebar like a pbc.

Gateway sells hanging kits. Works great. I've had a couple of racks fall but they were fine.

13412905_10206689213368868_5546241414142703868_n.jpg

When we were still hanging on a drum I dropped one and got the idea to place another grate on top of the fire basket....felt dumb for not figuring that one out sooner...first cook after we did that I promptly dropped another rack of ribs and the grate saved the day

Never would have thought of that! Great idea

We competed on a drum for the first time at our last competition and hung the ribs. Turned out great and we took 5th in ribs, RGC overall

hang.jpeg

When you guys hang ribs for a comp, are you wrapping with some sort of Johnny Trigg mix in the foil or no foiling at all? It seems like it would be hard to get the "wow" flavor and texture without wrapping or am I missing something? I like hanging ribs in the PBC for backyard cooks for friends as it's a lot less hassle than foiling for comps.

back in May I was right next to Bubba from Uncle Bub's BBQ and he was using a drum and hung his ribs. He let me sample one and they were freaking delicious! I was super impressed and he also got a call that day in ribs. I had never considered hanging them before but like what I saw and tasted.

love hanging ribs for competition they should only be hanging for about and hour to an hour and a half before you wrap them. Make sure to hang from the thicker side. Gateway BBQ store sells two different style hooks. I prefer the bigger ones as they pierce the meat better and you can go 2 bones deep on the rack.

How do they not burn, heat diverter of some sort? I just bought a gateway with rib hooks and not sure where to start!

i started hanging 4 years ago because I wasn't good enough to just cook 3 racks laying down on my can. Low and behold, things cooked evenly. The real question is, why ask why? It works and it wins!

I have a short tutorial here.

http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/an-ode-to-bones/

Hanging on a 22" WSM over a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket

It just works!

I use the Weber Hanging Meat rack in the WSM, the BPS and Hunsaker cans.

For the Gateway clone, I made a hanger similar to what they use on the GDS.

So what's the sole #1 purpose for hanging ribs? Especially for competition?

Following the above link it talks about how when the ribs are vertical the block the heat less which allows for faster cooking, I can also gather people can cook more racks than laying them flat. Wouldn't a rib rack give you all of that without the danger of your ribs falling in the fire, which a couple people have mentioned above? I'm not poo pooing the idea. But there has to be something I'm missing about that technique primarily for competitions.

Back