The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-04-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
butts
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS name change

Has any one else seen the recent board meeting minutes about changing the name of the KCBS?

It seems as though Troy Black wants to change the name and change the marketing scheme of the KCBS. I'm not for or against it...just wondering what others think about it?
7' X 14' enclosed trailer
ButtsandBreastts BBQ
Facebook: Butts and Breastts
butts is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #2
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I understand some of the reasoning behind it.... but I'm not sure I buy where that might take things.

Unread 01-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Troy is the Chairman of the Marketing Committee for KCBS.
We asked Troy start the search to obtained the services of a marketing firm to help KCBS with plans into the future. Among the items we are looking at is the possiblity of a name change, sponsorship, getting info to media, those items marketing would handle.

We have obtained the services of a marketing firm and the work has started.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I like the name, as it says something more about type of barbecue than location to me. However, I HATE the logo!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 09:55 AM   #5
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams
I like the name, as it says something more about type of barbecue than location to me. However, I HATE the logo!
Disclosure: I am not a memmber of KCBS, but am a member of a local barbecue association that primarily competes in KCBS sanctioned events.

Also, with all due respect, I can NOT STAND the logo. I think this is important to have a professional, quality, timeless logo, and to me the current one is none of those.

I also would not mind a potential name change, but do not have huge feelings one way or another on it.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
bittertruth
is one Smokin' Farker

Location: High Point, NC. Deep in the heart of the Cradle of Que!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$
Disclosure: I am not a memmber of KCBS, but am a member of a local barbecue association that primarily competes in KCBS sanctioned events.

Also, with all due respect, I can NOT STAND the logo. I think this is important to have a professional, quality, timeless logo, and to me the current one is none of those.

I also would not mind a potential name change, but do not have huge feelings one way or another on it.
I'm not a member either, but that logo sucks!!!
"The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a free man any more than a dog." G. K. Chesterton

New Braunfels Bandera smoker
Weber Kettle
bittertruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #7
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittertruth
I'm not a member either, but that logo sucks!!!
That is one way of putting it.

I just feel it is double ironic that the teams (generalization) spend a lot of effort marketing themselves, (particularly in the area of logos, many of which I also do not care for, but at least they appear thought out and professionally rendered) and KCBS by appearances does not.

Unread 01-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #8
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Oh my gosh... I had never seen that logo before but had to go look at it after seeing it mentioned several times. What a laugher that one is. I cannot believe how pitiful!!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Don't get me wrong, I too think the logo sucks but that is an old logo that Gary Wells is very fond of. Gary is the main man as far as founding KCBS so that's why it remains. I hope that it will now change but that's the history.

As for the name, well I did think it needed changing a few years ago but the name has morphed from Kansas City Barbeque Society into KCBS and the organization has clearly became national so I think the problem solved itself.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #10
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

As in sponsorship, I hope that does not mean "The Kingsford KCBS" for example. Turn in to something thing like the College Bowls did with the name.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

I've never been a big fan of change just for the sake of change.
"Worlds Best BBQ Society?" We used to be the KCBS......
ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

There is an awful lot of value in that brand. I'd think a change would have to be well thought out.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP
As in sponsorship, I hope that does not mean "The Kingsford KCBS" for example. Turn in to something thing like the College Bowls did with the name.
They can keep it as "KCBS" ... the "Kingsford Charcoal Briquet Society" and no one needs to be the wiser!
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #14
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq
Don't get me wrong, I too think the logo sucks but that is an old logo that Gary Wells is very fond of. Gary is the main man as far as founding KCBS so that's why it remains. I hope that it will now change but that's the history.

As for the name, well I did think it needed changing a few years ago but the name has morphed from Kansas City Barbeque Society into KCBS and the organization has clearly became national so I think the problem solved itself.
I figured there was history behind the logo. Good point about KCBS vs. Kansas City .etc etc. However, we all still know KFC is Kentucky Fried Chicken, despite what the marketers say.

Not an easy decision, I certainly see value in retaining the name brand, but there may be value in expanding it as well.

Unread 01-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #15
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

When you talk about barbecue, though, there are usually a few areas that are used to define types of barbecue... The Carolinas (with even more distinction locally), Texas bbq, Memphis bbq and Kansas City bbq... So I don't have a problem with the name, and think a name change would be detrimental as lots of people know of the KCBS now.

I also understand the history, but just because a founder was fond of it doesn't mean that it should be the logo that represents the organization. How many commercials do you see that have the CEO on them that are just horrible commercials? Most of those make me wonder why they continue doing their commercials. If the appeal is to more than the founders and their families, then I think other things should be considered. I've just always thought the current one is bad... I don't even know what that guy has on his fork!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote