THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
I've never actually had a McDonald's McRib sandwich, I think. I'd remember if I'd actually eaten one, right? So the next time they make a re-appearance on the Mickey-D's menu, I'm going to make it a point to grab one or a dozen. For now, my homemade attempt will have to suffice. Seems like good izakaya grub.

Here goes...

I've seen all the tabloid media reports about McRibs being made out of pig lungs and hog thymus glands and hooves and what not...not actual ribs by any stretch. But I understand that they are actually made of chopped up and reformed pork shoulder. Can anyone say MEAT GLUE???

But ultimately, I decided to forego a massive MooGloo mashup and make my McRib out of real pork ribs.

5zbWQ7ph.jpg

mSIwwk1h.jpg

This is the McRib section. I skewered it in true kushiyaki fashion. I figure the skewering will prevent it from curling up during cooking to a degree, too.

JPNnFJEh.jpg

This will be grilled over a charcoal fire at some point, sorta like traditional kushiyaki. We'll see what happens.

:pop2:

I've never had a McRib... but this version certainly has peaked my interest.

That must of been a pain to debone a rack of ribs, well done though! Can't wait to see final product.

Not too bad actually...not any more difficult than peeling the membrane...except there's only one membrane vs. a dozen or so ribs. They sorta just pop out. Reminded me of that Jacques Pépin chicken deboning vid that was posted a few days ago.

OH so now I understand why there are ridges in the ground pork patties! TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE DEBONED RIBS!! ha must be having a lot of brain farts lately!

Please tell how you removed the bones. Very clean, great job.
I gotta try this.

Thanks. It's really not too difficult. Use a small but sharp knife to cut the periosteum overlying each rib bone...right down the middle and firmly down to the bone. Then use a butter knife to bluntly dissect out the outside end of the bone. Firmly grasp the free end of the bone with one hand, while using the other hand to stabilize and "push down" the rest of the meat. You should hear a distinct "ripping" sound...that's the sound of the periosteum tearing cleanly off the bone surface. When you get to the cartilage end, just firmly bend and pull the bone out of the cartilage "socket". After all the bones are removed, then come back with sharp shears and trim the now empty bone pockets of the excess periosteum that used to cover the bones. Also trim out the cartilage tips. Whole rack takes maybe 5 minutes to debone.

Here's the charcoal grill I used to grill the McRib...

eTMmeCUh.jpg

The McRib patty was seasoned with Oakridge Dominator and some shiitake/garlic/onion powder.

Rk6kIA9h.jpg

OZ412qDh.jpg

xmt7kyUh.jpg

After grilling, the McRib patty was glazed with three coats of Sweet Baby Rays

1RukEaXh.jpg

88TuFkTh.jpg

I griddled the bread with mayonnaise until it was golden crispy brown

jNxXctbh.jpg

Dressed out the sandwich with mozzarella cheese sticks, pickles, and bacon

11XZd3Yh.jpg

BIMncYeh.jpg

Between this and the other beef cook today, nobody is going hungry around here any time soon. oooof. :sick:

Looks fantastic. And very creative. Congrats!!!

But then I also like everything on McDonald's menu.
I remember an episode of Charlie Trotter where he said he liked to stop at McDonald's every now and then, especially after a hard night at the restaurant.

Looks fantastic. And very creative. Congrats!!!

But then I also like everything on McDonald's menu.
I remember an episode of Charlie Trotter where he said he liked to stop at McDonald's every now and then, especially after a hard night at the restaurant.

Thank you Bob! I know what you mean about McD's. I've got one kid who absolutely won't eat anything from there because the teachers have brainwashed him at school saying that McD's is evil or poisonous or something. But most of us grew up on the stuff.

There is this one total comfort food dish I want to share with you, should the mood to try something new strike you. Go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac meal with large fries and a large regular coke. Bring it all home. Get your rice cooker going with one cup of rice...no water! Then dump the Coke in with the rice, followed by the whole Big Mac...top it all off with all the fries. Close the hatch and let her cook. When the rice cooker switches off, get a big spoon, open her up, and mix up all the contents of the cooker, cutting everything into small pieces as you mix. When things cool down to your liking, dig in with the big spoon. I kid you not, you're not gonna stop until you reach the clean bottom of the bowl.

Thank you Bob! I know what you mean about McD's. I've got one kid who absolutely won't eat anything from there because the teachers have brainwashed him at school saying that McD's is evil or poisonous or something. But most of us grew up on the stuff.

There is this one total comfort food dish I want to share with you, should the mood to try something new strike you. Go to McDonalds and order a Big Mac meal with large fries and a large regular coke. Bring it all home. Get your rice cooker going with one cup of rice...no water! Then dump the Coke in with the rice, followed by the whole Big Mac...top it all off with all the fries. Close the hatch and let her cook. When the rice cooker switches off, get a big spoon, open her up, and mix up all the contents of the cooker, cutting everything into small pieces as you mix. When things cool down to your liking, dig in with the big spoon. I kid you not, you're not gonna stop until you reach the clean bottom of the bowl.

Wow!! That sounds surreal. I'm gonna try it.

Back