THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
Cowgirl was talking about smoked butter around here the other day, and I've seen a couple other threads recently about folks smoking cheese and the like. It got me thinking about the first time I attempted to smoke cheese myself. The idea sounded better than it ultimately turned out...way better. But now that the mess has long been cleaned up, it's one of those bbq experiences I can laugh about today. In fact, today's cook is dedicated to good intentions and gooey messes...

The kids wanted nachos, so I gave them some "grated-cheese" nachos...or "nacho cheese drip"...

We start out with an everyday cast iron skillet full of tortilla chips...yawn:bored::

lJLg35Wh.jpg

And right beside it we build a little mountain of cheese...smoked gouda, fontina, pepper jack, and chipotle gouda...top it off with fresh jalepenos, fresno chiles, and green onions:

LN4LSaQh.jpg

Get some maple sausage links smoking on the horizontal cook chamber...mini nekkid fatties!:

b2guzq1h.jpg

And on the vertical, here's how we're gonna play it (notice all the horizontal exhaust dampers are closed, forcing all drafting heat up through the vertical):

7wOAYTkh.jpg

Cheese over Chips (never attempt in the reverse order):

Uv93wOmh.jpg

And this is how it starts:

2qsEWctl.jpg
ypz1Swxl.jpg

Ooey, gooey:

Lhub2r2l.jpg
6B6SBXvl.jpg

Mess:

FGaOmPTl.jpg
TsguDTJl.jpg

And Voila! "Grated-cheese" nachos!

i6Udhlxh.jpg

In a lot of ways, this captures the whole spirit of smoking cheese for me. I mean, ultimately the smoked cheese that I have made has by and large ended up on some amazing comfort food, like pizza or nachos. This was everything in one go. The nachos today ended up with such depth of flavor with the smoke and the crisped up tortillas and the lightly smoked cheese. Lest anyone be fooled, the cleanup definitely brought back many of the memories of my original cheese smoking mishap. The kids say that I should do this again in the near future. Me, I'm a bit less enthusiastic about it. But conceptually, it worked just about as well as I imagined. Next time, I would skip the smoked gouda and replace it with a gooier melting cheese. That is, assuming that there is a next time...

Kid-approved:

6pLCxEQl.jpg

Thanks for checking this out! :thumb:

I love it! That is one of the coolest things I have seen in here.:eusa_clap

Cleanup is a cinch if you have a weed burner.:wink:

Great job and technique to use smoke, heat and gravity to make everybody's favorite snack. Thanks for sharing.

Great looking photos of the cheese melting through the grate onto the chips, but yeah, I don't think I would want to have to do that clean up...

I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face looking at those pictures. I will have to try that in my LSG just for the girls. I think they will really get a kick out out of it.

Back