THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

itschris

Full Fledged Farker
I got nice four bone prime rib...dry aged 12 weeks. Rubbed it down with a Kona coffee rub and an additional layer of porchini rub. I'm reverse searing to about 115 then will put it on a raging hit fire to finish it up. Should be perfect...can't wait.

Pics... So you now it's happening...Firing up the XL Baby and just getting started:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 201
My only concern is that it was the cut I had from near the back end so it tapers a bit. I just put the probes in and I have a 5 degree difference from the tall side to the short... 92vs 87 at his point. I might move the probes to a different spot in 30 min to see what's really going on. Either way I always pull by the high temp and adjust for it during the hot sear.

Btw... I've kinda come to the conclusion that 12-14 weeks is about perfect for dry aged prime rib for me. Any more and it has a bit too much blue cheesy quality. 8 weeks is the minimum for mr since the only thing I notice different with less aging is the price. I've just been disappointed with six week aging.

Getting ready for the sear. My kettle is just about raging hot. I dusted some sliced potatoes with the leftover Kona and porcini rub and put them in the smoker to pick a hint of smoke.

Unbelievably, I forgot the veggies... I was going to do stuffed mushrooms but forgot them. The again...prime rib and potatoes wifi do just fine.

So... Came so close to ruining a stupid expensive hunk of meat. The raging hot sear got a bit out of control. Everything was perfect except I had the kettle juuuuuussst a bit too close to the pool. I wasn't paying enough attention...the Long Island teas didn't help either... I grabbed the lid handle with a pot holder because I left my glove inside. Waaaay too hot. I yelled, composed myself even chuckled at my stupidity...then took a step back and kerplunk!

The 30 seconds it took to get out of the pool was enough for a massive flare up. Limited damage, but pisses me off that everything goes perfect until the very end. Luckily it on the bones but burned through the twine. Just a bit over charred in a couple places...not enough to get mad about really. Here's the bone off result before carving:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 133
I have to say it came out pretty damn good. The aging added a great nutty...just super concentrated beef flavor. The rubs, except for one small section that got too charred, added just enough of a salt and savory layered flavor to compliment the deep meaty flavor. Overall, I'm pleased. I certainly wish I didn't forget the shrooms and asparagus...but that BBQ.

Thanks guys... I really appreciate it.

For those who asked...I get my porcini powder from here: http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/mushrooms-porcini-extra-aa-whole-and-powder

I first got to use it about 12 years ago when I got a chance to cook with the chefs at Capital Grill at a charity event. They have this giant porcini rubbed ribeye on the menu and I got to help them butcher the steaks from the aging room. Great learning experience. They gave their rub recipe using the powder and a good sized container of it to boot. I've been using it ever since as my super secret ingredient. It's super versatile and applicable in a lot of recipes...especially soups.

Last edited:
Accidents happen, but that looks like one perfect piece of meat and makes a nice plate even without the veggies. Great job!

Back