ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Venison Hind Quarter

OK so this weekend I am going to throw a whole vension hind quarter on the grill a bunch of Gimme some suggestions fellas anyone ever done a whole one before?
I have cooked a bunch of venison on the grill before but have never Q'd just grilled over a high flame, this I want to do low and slow.

Let me hear what you have to say boys!

Sean

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Be careful with it drying out. Venison is very lean.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Put some slits in it with bacon stuffed in or you'll dry it out.

I wonder how the ven would take to a brine?????
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I did some back straps a while back. Injected them with some apple juice and bbq seasoning. Knowing how lean it is and not wanting it to dry out, a sprayed it more than usual. It worked out just fine.
-KCBS Judge #21924
-36" Kingfisher Combo
-New Braunfels Bandera (rescued)
-Weber 22.5" Kettle (rescued)
-A homemade trailer cooker
-Concession trailer nicknamed "The Dawg House"
[URL]http://www.facebook.com/BarkinDawgsBBQCatering[/URL]
Puppyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
tumpedover
is one Smokin' Farker

YOu definatley need to worry about it drying out.... venison has O% fat so it needs some help in that dept. I have done a couple with fair results. Here's what I did Last time:

injected with a butter marinade such as Cajun Garlic butter or similar. Seasoned with Cajun seasoning (own blend) Wraped in fatback or fatty bacon completely cover the heavy parts of the meat and sparsly over the narrow, hold with toothpicks or string. Smoked at higher temp around 300 and foiled after an hour or so of heavy smoke...took out of foil to finish.
cook til no more than Medium otherwise it'll dry out.
The last one I did was pretty tender (relative, it ain't a pork butt) and pretty tasty,but it got to about 180* after resting ,and was a little dry. Although injecting helped alot!!
Maybe try the brining thing as suggested...It works wonders on infamously dry turkey breasts !!
If the thought of eating less than well done venison grosses you out....Well... I'm out of suggestions.

[B][B]Texas Legend -Ok, At least I used to own it !![/B][/B]
[B][B]SmokeMaster [/B]
[/B][B]Lyfe Tyme off set trailer[/B]
[B]55 gal drum/Texas Hibachi [/B]
[B]55 gal drum/ offset smoker[/B]

[B][I][U]Jesus Loves Barbecue[/U][/I][/B]
tumpedover is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #6
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Default Thanks

Yeah I like I said I have cooked a fair share of venison just never have done the whole quarter.
Also haven't cooked any bone in that I can remember.....been told that its too gamey with the bone in, much better if boned.
Leaning towards the brining, was thinking of using an apple juice/clove/rosemary concoction.
Was also thinking of going lower and slower, like 225-250 for a 12 pack or so

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal

Unread 12-19-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Okay I can't stand it anymore, I've been holding back because it it so easy to dry out a hind quarter....4 out of 5 responses mention "drying out" and the 5th one mentions backstrap, which I fry anyway. So...here is what I would do. Grind that sucker, mix the venison with ground pork butt with a ratio of 60%/40%. Mix up some sausage and make fatties. Smoke them to 160°, slice (calling them medallions if you want) and serve as the main meat. They will be wonderful.

I've done this with a Sicilian-Italian recipe. It has wine instead of water and also fresh grated parmesan cheese. Very elegant with venison.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #8
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye
Okay I can't stand it anymore, I've been holding back because it it so easy to dry out a hind quarter....4 out of 5 responses mention "drying out" and the 5th one mentions backstrap, which I fry anyway. So...here is what I would do. Grind that sucker, mix the venison with ground pork butt with a ratio of 60%/40%. Mix up some sausage and make fatties. Smoke them to 160°, slice (calling them medallions if you want) and serve as the main meat. They will be wonderful.

I've done this with a Sicilian-Italian recipe. It has wine instead of water and also fresh grated parmesan cheese. Very elegant with venison.
yeah well I have 15 lbs of hot italian sausage, 5 sweet and 5 keilbasa coming so have lotsa fatties
also having shinkenspeck made from other hind 1/4
rubbing and grillin the backstraps, high and dry, medium rare
was thinking I would do something different for a change and came up with this idea

Unread 12-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

shrinkens peck? what the fark is that? that only happens to me in cold water :) Sounds like a Seinfeld thing, LOL

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #10
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

To use a phrase from "The Waterboy": YOU CAN DO IT!!

Just use some cover - like bacon - and roast it instead of slow cooking. Use the cooker and smoke, but hotter. The bone shouldn't be an issue. I've pot-roasted venison shoulder with the bone in and it was great - of course it was an itty bitty Texas hill country deer (sorry guys!) and so cooked up pretty quickly.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake
yeah well I have 15 lbs of hot italian sausage, 5 sweet and 5 keilbasa coming so have lotsa fatties
also having shinkenspeck made from other hind 1/4
rubbing and grillin the backstraps, high and dry, medium rare
was thinking I would do something different for a change and came up with this idea
Uh...in that case, watch it .... it's easy to dry out.

Seriously, here is my best shot at Plan B:

Rub that boy down with oil and apply your favorite rub or at least salt, pepper and garlic salt. Spearing with garlic is always good too. Then mix up the following dip. Yes, dip. Just go with it. If you want to call it a mop that's okay too.

Game Dip

1 – Beer
˝ cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup apple juice
1/3 cup canola oil
1 diced onion
3 cloves of garlic – minced
1 tablespoon Wooster
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne

Heat until dissolved, reserve some in a separate container for dipping at the table. Now you see why I call it a dip.

Toss that boy in your cooker around 225° or so with a gentle smoke. Turn every 30 minutes, painting on some dip with each flip. If you are washing off too much rub, add more. When you feel it is a little more than halfway done, re-rub and wrap in foil. Return to the cooker. Check internal temp every half hour until it is where you want it. Remove, drain off the liquid from the foil to make an au jus, wrap in a towel and rest for at least 30 minutes while you make the sauce. If you want to do anything fancy like making a red wine sauce, go for it. Serving some expensive wild rice on the side never hurts either.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 10:43 PM   #12
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

whatever you do let us know how it turns out! I have a hind quarter in my freezer that I want to do whole in my smoker, just havn't had the time to cook it yet. I do deer roasts in the smoker all the time. I smother with yellow mustard and then coat with rub, criss cross some bacon over the top and smoke to 165. They usualy turn out great.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2006, 05:52 AM   #13
Wi-Doe-Maker
On the road to being a farker

If you look at the "flatter" side of the hind quarter you should be able to see the FEMORAL ARTERY..if you can inject your brine and flavoring solution dirctly into the artery, this will completely utilize the entire network of veins within the meat thus getting the solution to the entire hind quarter..this is how Hog hinds are cured before they are smoked and is the only sure way to keep the meat nearest the bone from "Souring" ...ask your butcher for some pork fat and then lay these pieces on top of the meat while it cooks as well..should turn out decent. I never slow cook venison, we love it very rare, all my hinds are turned into cutlets and steaks..Wi-Doe

Weber Smokey Mountain
Wi-Doe-Maker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
CORNBREAD MAFIA
Got rid of the matchlight.

Muzzle, I've had good results injecting with butter/garlic juice, seasoning with non-sugar rub (like butt rub), wrapping with bacon, then smoking (I use oak) at 225-250 until 140*. Wrap with foil (like a pork butt), and let it rest in a cooler for about an hour. Slice and serve. Should be kind of pink, any more and its prone to be tough.
If you bone the hindquarter out, marinate in 1 part mustard, 2 parts brown sugar, 1 part soy sauce, 1 part olive oil, minced garlic,4 parts lemon juice, salt and pepper. Start out direct heat on the grill, then move to indirect heat to finish rare. About 20-30 mins according to size. I live in Florida, so my venison is probably a good bit smaller than NY state. use your best judgement, but don't overcook it.
Hope this helps
CORNBREAD MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2006, 02:44 AM   #15
Single Fin Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Freaking Thirdeye never ceases to amaze me. I am the grasshopper and he is my master....
WSM
Webber Kettle
True stainless kegerator w/cheap 1/2 barrel
10'6 EC single fin
10' Minchington 2-1 set up
Single Fin Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote