The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #1
Dakaty
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Fire grates - Life expectancy & materials

My pit is a little over a year old and the fire grate is just about gone. The grate is made of about 10 pieces of 23" x 1" heavy duty steel "slats", connected by 3/8" rebars. I thought this thing would last forever, but the metal slats are coming apart in layers. After each cook, I see at least one or two thin layers of metal are falling off of the slats. The iron in the middle of the grate has deteriorted to very thin metal. The iron on the very ends is pretty much the same thickness as when new. I'm thinking the quality of the steel must be low for it to "flake" apart like this.

I would like my next one to last a long time. Any suggestions on design and/or materials?

PS- My firebox is 20" round by 26" long by 7/16" thick.
Dakaty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

this grate is going on 3 years,of pretty heavyuse.

3/4 inch expanded steel, supported by 5/16x1" flats.

the one i made most recent,I doubled the expanded steel, layed 2 sheets togeter at 90 degrees and supported it with 1inch channel. This will hold up forever.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1161015635

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

This is the firebox grate on my Pitts & Spitts.... It's quite heavy...maybe 25lbs ?? Ash falls through the top slats and onto the solid bottom base and can be scooped out as needed...

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 04-13-2007 at 09:33 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
smokinbadger
Full Fledged Farker

I had my firegrate fabricated from expanded metal and 1/4 x 1 1/2" bar stock about a year ago. It is holding up fine, with the only problem being warpage of the expanded metal.

I did have a problem with flaking layers on the cast iron grates on my Weber gasser. Based on these two data points, I would suggest that the problem described is due to the oxidation resistance of the material used. The relaxation of the steel tarriffs just announced should help with the availability of good cheap steel for the BBQ and automotive industries.

Klose Widebody MasterChef * XL BGE * WSM * Weber Performer * La Caja China * Cookshack 055 *
Big Stainless Gasser *
smokinbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

I noticed a week or so ago something was amiss with one of the burners on my Aussie gasser. Dug into it yesterday and the whole damn backside of the grill body had rusted away. This thing is only 4 1/2 years old and should in no way have fallen apart already.
I'm going to have to go into work while on vacation and make some temporary galv. brkts to hold my burners in place until I can raise some hell with the manufacturer.
Oh by the way Aussie is made in China. not "Down Under". Farkers!!
ModelMaker
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #6
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

My grate is virtually identical to Phil's and it's held up well in the year or so I've had it. A hot fire with heavy load of wood will tend to bow the metal a bit, but it straightens right out. A double layer grate would be right fine.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
capnamerca
Knows what a fatty is.

my firegrate looks JUST LIKE the one pictured - seriously, it's a little scary :). Expanded metal, 5/16ths flats, anchored together with nuts and bolts. Works like a champ.
capnamerca is offline   Reply With Quote