The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-14-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 2007 KCBS Rules Posted

The 2007 KCBS rules have been posted on the website:

www.kcbs.us

There were few changes made for 2007. The three significant ones, had to do with cleanliness, disqualification and fraternization by judges the day of the contest.

Be certain to review the rules and add to you competition notebook or folders.

Good luck in 07"
Merl Whitebook
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

Thanks Merl...

not trying to read too far into things, but can you clarify if the definition of turn-in day in the eyes of the rules begins at midnight or after sunrise etc. ?

"Judges may not fraternize with teams on turn-in day until conclusion of judging."

Also...

"Cleanliness of the cook,assistant cooks,cooking device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking space is required."

Are the reps going to be required to inspect the smokers for cleanliness during meat inspection etc. ?

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 12-14-2006 at 12:36 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
CharlieBeasley
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Merl
CharlieBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

We discussed that and did not set a specific time, due to different cirumstances of each contest. With that being said, the opinion was that about the time quiet hours ends, meats were being pulled from pits and boxes prep begins, would signal the day of the contest. (yes I know some box prep is done earlier.) The feeling was that judges should not be observing or in the area, when the beginning of the final product was coming together.

In short, in my opinion, the period should begin before the second cup of coffee is poured.
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Thanks Merl...

Not sure about circumstances surroundine each contest but I think the that while the rule it good, as it reads, it is still vague and should note a specific time if it is to be enforced(ex. at end of contest's noted quiet hours, 6AM etc...) A rule is only as good as it is clear and specific. Leaving it to interpretation is not ideal IMO.

What about the cleanliness of the cooker criteria ?

Unread 12-14-2006, 12:41 PM   #6
nascarchuck
Full Fledged Farker

I have never entered a contest, or even been to one, but this is something of interest to me. I hope to attend and maybe even enter in the future.

I read the rules as posted and have a question, if you don't mind answering a rookie question.

Rule #13 states "Rosettes of meat slices are not allowed."

Would you be so kind as to explain what a rosette is. I am assuming that it is a decorative design made out of the meat, but not sure.

As for the question concerning the cutoff time for the judges to fraternize with the teams, I agree with MilitantSquatter. I believe that will be a hard rule to enforce if there isn't a set time. Hope that I'm not out of line with my opinion.

Thanks...

Chuck

Unread 12-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks Chuck. Never out of line with opinions or questions.

Meat, can not be "marked" in any way that would signify to a certian judge that that is your turn-in. Rosettes would be a means of doing that. Also, sculpting meat is a no-no. Such as placing pulled pork in the shape of #1 or similar things.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

The cleanliness of smokers became an issue when the issue was raised at the rules meeting. Someone had a dog piss on their smoker. Another observed a smoker full of mold and would not let that team cook for the contest until they left and had it cleaned. I saw one last year at DeSoto, Kansas that was FULL of mold. the team didn't realize it til they opened it up to show me the inner workings. NASTY chit!!! Basically, if accepted by the board as proposed in the rules meeting, it will just give the contest organizers and reps the ability to make a team clean up a rancid cooker. They aren't supposed to go looking for it but if it surfaces, they will have the authority to do something about it. Not a bad deal IMO.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Jeff
You have a well defind idea of what is expected, is there really a need to tell a team their equipment is dirty? I would hope not but we have in some cases found it to be true.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 07:49 PM   #10
parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Jeff
You have a well defind idea of what is expected, is there really a need to tell a team their equipment is dirty? I would hope not but we have in some cases found it to be true.
Unfortunately, we do have to tell people that some times. I have had the same thing happen to me at the worst moment and everyone involved drops what they are doing and the first priority is cleaning the equipment.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
DeanC
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with Jeff that it is a good idea and I would not be offended if equipment inspections were made at check in time. I'm not talking about a whip out the white glove spit shine test on every piece of chit you haul into a cookoff. I wouldn't be offended if an organizer asked me to open up my cooker to make sure a science fair project wasn't being replicated. I have witnessed some pretty nasty stuff in the past three years. Just my opinion.
2 Weber Kettles

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar---Mark Twain

www.odmp.org
DeanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #12
nancee
is one Smokin' Farker

maybe its not rancid...just on fire<g>
oops, that was the trailer that was on fire, wasn't it?...
nancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead
Unfortunately, we do have to tell people that some times. I have had the same thing happen to me at the worst moment and everyone involved drops what they are doing and the first priority is cleaning the equipment.
nancee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2006, 11:04 PM   #13
Sledneck
Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter
Thanks Merl...

not trying to read too far into things, but can you clarify if the definition of turn-in day in the eyes of the rules begins at midnight or after sunrise etc. ?

"Judges may not fraternize with teams on turn-in day until conclusion of judging."

Also...

"Cleanliness of the cook,assistant cooks,cooking device(s) and the team’s assigned cooking space is required."

Are the reps going to be required to inspect the smokers for cleanliness during meat inspection etc. ?
So since i compete and my wife judges she has to basically ignore me until turn in time? Thats lame, the odd of her judging one of my boxes is slim, she said after all that food she couldnt tell what was mine even if she had tasted it before, i would not not jeopordize all the money i put into a contest by cheating anyway but that rule is a little off, i think it great that judges get to see teams and get into it, who the hell wants to be bothered after turn ins?
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-15-2006, 04:56 AM   #14
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck
So since i compete and my wife judges she has to basically ignore me until turn in time?

I don't think immediate family members of the cooks should be allowed to judge. Maybe not in your case but if a team used a unique sauce or presentation a family member could pick it out and score it higher. I think it's great to involve family in competition cooking but as a table captain or helping change the numbers is probably a better position for immediate family.

Unread 12-15-2006, 07:57 AM   #15
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

I am glad my wife and I got into judging last year verses this year. We intentionally went through the judging class to go to events and see what others do in the way of setting up, cooking and all that goes into cooking at a comp. You know learn before jumping into competition. Isn't that what one of the things KCBS is supposed to be . . . education?

Sounds like the juding rule was not thought out at all and was more of a knee jerk reaction.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote