The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS comm.to test & create new judge slips

I just saw this on the KCBS homepage....

Good Luck Jim and Merl with this committee's project...

The summary below notes scoring system but it does not appear that the scoring system would be potentially changed, only the scorecard sheet the judges use.

12/11/2006 - Committee Formed To Develop and Test New Judging Slips
At the recent December Board of Directors meeting and retreat a committee was formed, chaired by Jim Minion, to develop a new scoring system. Minion, Troy Black, and Merl Whitebook proposed to the Board that we develop and test a revision to the judging slips which would include definitions to be associated with each numerical score. The new judging slips will be developed by the board level committee, which includes Minion, Black and Whitebook, and will be tested extensively at various contests across the country. After a comprehensive evaluation is concluded, a recommendation will be made to the Board as to whether or not change our current judging slips. The committee will also study other possible solutions, improvements, and training needed to bring us closer to a goal of consistent scoring at our contests.

Unread 12-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
CTSmokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds good to me. When I go to Judge it is for that sole purpose. Clarification of the rules and definitions of the scoring system makes alot of sense. A reminder of what we are there for (not take home) is what it is all about. I look forward to the new Judging slips.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff
CharGriller Outlaw with Mods,2X WSM in Comp. Mode
Weber Kettle 22" Gold, Kirkland Signature SS Gas Grill
La Caja Asadora - Caja China - Cajun Microwave 1
"Primal Meat Smokers" BBQ Team
Purple Primal Smoker Turtle!
CTSmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2006, 07:21 AM   #3
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

The new committee formed by the Board will allow us to look into the many of the issues which have come forward through the Brethren.
The first two items will be to provide defintions to the scoring slips. The other will to test comment card which should contain "constuctive comments".

Please take the time if you have ideas to share them with us.

The memebers of the committee are:

Troy Black tblack at kcbs.us
Jim Minion jminion at kcbs.us
Merl Whitebook mwhitebook at kcbs.us

also, you might want to copy Rod, rgray at kcbs.us. He is never far behind and is important to the work the committee will be performing.

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #4
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

I think clarification on the judging slips would be very important for judges, especially if they are not certified judges. There have been several times I have judged and heard comments from non certified judges that ribs were not cooked long enough becasue they didn't fall off the bone, Or they scored the chicken low becuase they don't like spicy food. Of course this also happens with certified judges, but this could help a lot.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Merl Sounds great If you have time could you start this thread in
the Pink Suspenders section at www.cbbqa.com Some of the Judges there had a few very good ideas.

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #6
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know, Merl... I like the idea we proposed last month at the rules meeting for adding a place for judges to explain their low scores or even high scores if it is out of line with the rest of the table but adding a definition to each number??? That seems like it might be a little difficult to do. I'll reserve judgement until I see the definitions and hear some of the results of using the system. I'm assuming that the definitions will become available to KCBS members as soon as they're approved for trial use? Thanks for what you're doing, guys! I appreciate the work the board does to improve competitive BBQ.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote