The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #1
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Default Q in Memphis

I am surprising the wife with a trip to Memphis without the kids!!! We are going to eat Q and listen to blues music. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
1MoreFord
is One Chatty Farker

Gator,

I Like Central BBQ. Interstate BBQ's not bad either. Don't really care for the Rendezvous.

I'm sure others will drop by with other suggestions shortly.
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Down on Beale Street there's a place called "Pig" that's really good. No really - that's its name!!

Web site: http://www.pigonbeale.com/about.htm

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Take a gander here for a starting list

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showth...ht=memphis+bbq

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:04 AM   #5
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Default Thank you

Thank you!!! I think I may have to try them all.

We are also taking a side trip down to Clarksdale MS. If you know of anything there....

UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My two favorites right now are Central BBQ as 1MoreFord mentioned, and The Bar-B-Q Shop on Madison (http://www.barbqshop.com/).

Also, if you have time be sure to swing by Gus's Fried Chicken at 310 S. Front Street (runs along the Mississippi), just a couple blocks down from Beale Street. It's an offshoot of the original in Mason, TN.

I brought a bunch back after thanksgiving for a small Brethren get together and they all approved!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
SmokeInDaEye

One more thought. If you end up at Central BBQ, check out the dry rubbed wings. Had them last month for the first time and they were AMAZING.

According to the menu they are marinaded overnight, smoked for three hours then finished in the fryer to crisp them. They are coated in your choice of a standard wet hot wing sauce or (my choice) their dry rub coating.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
Old 12-13-2006, 05:55 AM   #8
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the input brethren. I will let you know which ones I go to and give a report on the food. I can't wait...

UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Old 12-13-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Smokin Gator when are you going to be in Memphis. Char and I are going to be there for New Years.

And thanks for asking the question I was headed here to ask. Got some good ideas for Q now.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N
Smokin Gator when are you going to be in Memphis. Char and I are going to be there for New Years.

And thanks for asking the question I was headed here to ask. Got some good ideas for Q now.

I'm going to be there 2 weeks later. I hope you have a great time and post some info when you get back.

UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Old 01-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #11
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Default Update & review of Memphis Trip (Long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator
I'm going to be there 2 weeks later. I hope you have a great time and post some info when you get back.
Had an awesome time in Memphis . . . Well part of it anyway. Liberty bowl was going on so had to stay at the airport Radisson for 2 days (I DO NOT recommend this hotel) So Q was sparse. Once we got down to the downtown area we had a much better time and Q was more accessable.

I was stationed in the Navy just North of Memphis up in Millington, so we took a trip up there on Friday and ate at Pig. The one down on Beale Street has a place up there. Had the ribs which were pretty good and after all the BBQ I ate was probably the second best overall. The place felt like a chain, so wasn't overly impressed with decor and all that but the food was ok. Had a bit of smoke
flavor and was tender. Same with my wife's pulled pork sammi.
Actually saw and smelt smoke coming from the chimney (which here in a bit will make sense.)

Friday we had dinner at Smokey Bones, don't know why, but had to try it as I had read so much on The Brethren about the place. BBQ Chicken nachos were good, but the rest left ALOT to be desired. No wood was harmed in the making of our meal I am sure.

Saturday we had lunch at Central BBQ I will tell you right now they had the best BBQ we had hands down. Started with the wings, both dry and wet and let me tell you both were good but will let you decide for yourself which is the best. I also had the ribs half dry and half wet. Also very excellent! When we were driving away saw the guy tossing logs into a large horse tank of water. Don't know why he soaks his wood but he does. That and the smokey flavor assured me they were truely smoked.

Saturday night we went to the Rondezvous (sp). Once we got there and read the menu I knew we were not going to have smoked ribs. They
touted them as "charcoal broiled". Have no clue what that means,
but were less than impressed with flavor and texture. It was about an hour wait and during that time you could stand in line for a warm pitcher of beer or a glass of wine. This is done upstairs and once you get to the counter the guy barks at you "talk to me" that is the extent of the conversation that you get or he wants.

Sunday we had lunch at the Blue City Cafe on Beale. Again no smoke, or at leat that I could see, smell or taste but they were much better than the other places I went to.

We tried to find Interstate BBQ but couldn't find it. The area where it is supposed to be (3rd street and I-55) did not look the safest place to get out of the car. So use your judgement.

On Monday at the airport I was going to try Interstate BBQ as they have a location there and then Corkey's as they also have a location at the airport. We got there early enough to do this but noticed an early flight home and jumped into standbye mod. Didn't think we had a chance, but turned out we could fly home early. I was a bit bummed but (don't tell my wife) I was ready to head home.

It was fun to ask just about anybody where to get the best BBQ. You will get so many different answers. I also had recommendations to Rum Boogie on Beale and A&R BBQ on 51 (be careful there).
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
SmokeInDaEye

Nice! Glad you got to try out those dry wings at Central. Definitely different than anything I've had before.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

We made it to Memphis!!!! We are staying downtown just off Beale Street and right around the corner from the Rendevous. It is awesome to walk out of the building and smell Q.

Last night we had dinner at Central BBQ as recommended by several brethren. Let me tell you folks that is some good stuff. We had their smoked dry wings and they were unreal. We also ordered the dry rub rib dinner for 2 which turned out to be a rack of baby backs, 4 side dishes, and some rolls. The sides were decent but the ribs were awesome. They were well smoked, tender, and didn't need a drop of sauce with that rub. I could have easily eaten the whole rack.

I sampled all of the sauces and none of them were outstanding but all were good. The hot sauce was the one I thought the most of. They also have a very thin vinegar sauce that a lady we talked to said is there signature sauce. Again, it was good but not outstanding.

There was a steady stream of people coming through the door but the owner did take the time to talk some Q with me. The place is small with about 10 tables inside. The weather was nice though and we sat on the large deck out front. Very nice little Q joint indeed. Thanks for the tips.

Headed out to Clarksdale MS to go the the Delta Blues Museum. I'll post more later.

UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Old 01-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #14
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N
We tried to find Interstate BBQ but couldn't find it. The area where it is supposed to be (3rd street and I-55) did not look the safest place to get out of the car. So use your judgement.
During the day it's ok but not a place I'd want to be at night. If you get off I-55 on 3rd St going north, it's about a half mile to a mile up on the left. I think it's the first red light you come to but not really sure.

One of my favorite places.....that's for sure. It's not fancy at all. It looks like a small place that's been added on to over the years. I say this because of the different levels of floor. Good Q though!

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator
We made it to Memphis!!!! We are staying downtown just off Beale Street and right around the corner from the Rendevous. It is awesome to walk out of the building and smell Q.

Last night we had dinner at Central BBQ as recommended by several brethren. Let me tell you folks that is some good stuff. We had their smoked dry wings and they were unreal. We also ordered the dry rub rib dinner for 2 which turned out to be a rack of baby backs, 4 side dishes, and some rolls. The sides were decent but the ribs were awesome. They were well smoked, tender, and didn't need a drop of sauce with that rub. I could have easily eaten the whole rack.

I sampled all of the sauces and none of them were outstanding but all were good. The hot sauce was the one I thought the most of. They also have a very thin vinegar sauce that a lady we talked to said is there signature sauce. Again, it was good but not outstanding.

There was a steady stream of people coming through the door but the owner did take the time to talk some Q with me. The place is small with about 10 tables inside. The weather was nice though and we sat on the large deck out front. Very nice little Q joint indeed. Thanks for the tips.

Headed out to Clarksdale MS to go the the Delta Blues Museum. I'll post more later.
Sounds like Central BBQ took care of ya. Were you able to make it to the BBQ Shop?

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote