The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I'm guessing that you have a thing for skinny girls with flat butts.

Please don't take this as a racial statement but is there a reason why black people don't barbecue in texas? Or do they just not compete?

I know that we are a minority on the competition circuit in general but I just looked at close to 500 of your pictures from 3 different contests and I only saw one black guy and I almost missed him because he was light.

This is probably fodder for a whole different thread but why do you thik that is? Lack of funds? Lack of interest?

Please don't feel like you have to walk on eggshells around this or me. I'm a big boy and I'm asking for honest opinions.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2006, 06:39 PM   #2
big brother smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3970010
Thanks for sharing!

I also pondered Mista's question.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Dustaway
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista

Please don't take this as a racial statement but is there a reason why black people don't barbecue in texas? Or do they just not compete?

I know that we are a minority on the competition circuit in general but I just looked at close to 500 of your pictures from 3 different contests and I only saw one black guy and I almost missed him because he was light.

This is probably fodder for a whole different thread but why do you thik that is? Lack of funds? Lack of interest?

Please don't feel like you have to walk on eggshells around this or me. I'm a big boy and I'm asking for honest opinions.
I am new fairly new to this but have done my far share of large events and so far have only ran across one all black team ? sometime you might see one fellow helping or something like that but not to many compete and I can't answer as to why
Backwoods Chubby
http://sexyslabs.com

"Never let your persistence and passion turn into stubbornness and ignorance."
Anthony J. D'Angelo
Dustaway is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Neil,
That is a damn good question.
I do not have an answer.

We have a couple of black "team members" down here, but I am not aware of any totally black teams.
May have missed them.

With that said, I judged Quincey FL this spring. Quincey is a black dominated (numerically) small town in the FL Panhandle. I think there were only 13 Pro teams, but probably 20+ Backyard teams and Vendors. Most of the BackYard and Vendors were "local" and predominately Black.
I did not taste any of their Que (I was kinda full), but it damn sure looked and smelled good! Long lines waiting to be served.
They had some HUGE cookers. Cookers tended to be home made and not sophisticated. This area is not rich, for sure.
But, they damn sure put out good looking and smelling Que.

I have never sensed any feeling of excluding anyone at the comps, either FBA or KCBS. When black team members "walk", they are congratulated with "high fives" and all of that the same as anyone.

I guess it may just be a matter of culture that will evolve with time.

When y'all are the GC at the Royal, Jack, or BOTB; maybe it will inspire others to strive for competitive excellence in the circuit

Enough.

TIM

Moderator's Note:
If this develops into a productive sub-thread, I will split it.
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
Got Wood.

Quote:

Thats funny right there. I have a thing for girls period. Mind ya, I love my wife and she knows it so she dont ever have a problem with me and my camera or my flirtin.

As to Black BBQ teams, you got me there. I have seen about 3 so far but I have only done 12 contest (this was my first year). Its a good question, I just dont know the answer. I am glad yall liked the pictures.
Texas Proud
Smokin Mop Bucket Cookers
3970010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Bigmista

My team isn't all black. We are definitely the rainbow coalition.

However I do know of 3 all black teams in California. The Rib Doctor, Sug's Shack and The Change Smokers. Not many other black people competing here either. It's not that I ever felt uncomfortable in anyway and I have always been welcomed with open arms. Just wondering.

Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Remembering Scott

Unread 12-07-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
chad

Quote:
My team isn't all black. We are definitely the rainbow coalition.

However I do know of 3 all black teams in California. The Rib Doctor, Sug's Shack and The Change Smokers. Not many other black people competing here either. It's not that I ever felt uncomfortable in anyway and I have always been welcomed with open arms. Just wondering.
I've been asking about this very issue for a couple of years. Knowing the black influence in BBQ it is amazing that more black teams don't compete. Actually, I first noticed it at Asbury Park, NJ, in 2004. One black guy soloing...I'd walk by every now and then during the night to make sure he was "ok" and didn't go completely to sleep!!

It could be finances, it could be that the black cooks don't feel the need to compete. I've talked to a couple of black cooks and they just shrug and basically say, "I don't know either".

At Douglas, GA, there were quite a few black teams...all local and only a couple competed in the "pro" division. However, the teams did pretty well with walks and like Tim said, they all got cheers and high-fives from everyone.

I don't have an answer. I've got some theories, but they are just that and NO, I don't think it's a conspiracy!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #8
BrooklynQ
Banned

Neil, I'm wodering if it has to do with how black folk raise their kids. It may be a cultural thing.

My Cuban grandmother thought it was wrong that I liked to cook. Men didn't do that she'd tell me. It was woman's work. Hence, my father or uncles on that side have no idea how to cook. Neither do my male cousins on that side of the family.

Me - I grew up in a house where my mother worked 2 jobs, and I liked to eat, so I learned how to cook.

It could also be just a matter of where most black folk live. I could be wrong, but I think the majority of black folk live in cities. Which you and I know isn't exactly condusive to BBQ.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Bigmista

Yeah but all of those contests in the pictures were in Texas. I know there are black folx in the country there. Hell I'm related to them.

God loves BBQ!

Remembering Scott

Unread 12-07-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
Got Wood.

Quote:
Yeah but all of those contests in the pictures were in Texas. I know there are black folx in the country there. Hell I'm related to them.
Even though I have a Houston address I actually am in the county. In my neighborhood the plots are not smaller than 5 acres. We are an equal mix of Hispanics, Blacks, and Whites. We all BBQ, I just seem to be the only one who competes. That being said, I dont BBQ at home much. I am much to busy. For instance I am on the way to a clients site now (I have hired a driver and a laptop mounted my truck). I work an insane amount of hours (family business). The Black guy on the corner BBQ's at least 3 or 4 times a week and you can tell his family (I am making the assumption its his family) is over all the time and thats what they do. I have asked him about competing and he seems interested but never really puts a foot forward.
Texas Proud
Smokin Mop Bucket Cookers
3970010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
Bigmista

Hmmm...I guess it's just a reluctance to take the first step. Maybe a fear of failure? Don't know. I know I don't live like that. Maybe they just don't want to try anything new. Set in their ways.

God loves BBQ!

Remembering Scott

Unread 12-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Moderator' Note:

This has taken a life of it's own and deserves it's own thread.
Please treat it with respect.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
Wine & Swine
Full Fledged Farker

Everyone at Hudson Valley got to meet our black team member, Chris, who unfortunatley, can not cook and just likes to walk around the comps drinking wine and wearing orange clogs. I think barbeque is like hockey, except with less Canadians.
Wine & Swine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
Solidkick

Even as popular as contests are in the midwest, and speaking for the ones I've attended, I can only think of 2 teams with minority members, and both are very accomplished cooks.

Mista brings up a good question.....I've never given this much thought....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

This is really interesting. At the couple of comps I've been to, I haven't noticed a lot of black competitors. The Billy Sims team had a couple of black guys, IIRC (Billy himself was not on site). That being said, there are definitely a lot of black barbeque cooks in Tulsa. The three best BBQ joints in tows are black-owned and operated.

Now, I am neither black, or a competitor, or anything but an occasionally lucky cooker of bbq. I'm certainly not an expert on anything, but here's a theory that just occured to me: bbq is seen as a traditionally black food around these parts. And that seems reasonable to me. For a long, unfortunate time, blacks were not in good shape, socioeconomically. BBQ is not haute cuisine; it's survival food. So if bbq is traditionally black, could there be a backlash against white society co-opting it on the competition circuit? A refusal to participate?

I don't know. And I hope I've explained my little theory adequately. Bear in mind that I'm usually talking out of my a$$.

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote