The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #1
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Household Deep Fryer question

I just bought a small deep fryer for the house. It looks like I will need to pour a quart of oil in there so when the basket is down at the bottom I get about an inch of coverage in the basket and one inch below it.

It seems like I'll be using way too much oil (trans Fatty) for cooking small amounts of food. Can I let it cool off and pour it back into a separate container until I need it again?
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker
I just bought a small deep fryer for the house. It looks like I will need to pour a quart of oil in there so when the basket is down at the bottom I get about an inch of coverage in the basket and one inch below it.

It seems like I'll be using way too much oil (trans Fatty) for cooking small amounts of food. Can I let it cool off and pour it back into a separate container until I need it again?
Yes. Depending on what oil you are using, and what your are cooking, you can save and re-use the oil several times. Filter it when you pour it back to the storage container. If you let it get too hot, it will not store or keep well.

I filter oil using cheesecloth layered in a fine sieve. Paper coffee filters work, but they are slow.

Unread 12-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #3
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

What qman said. I filter peanut oil several times when deep frying fish and fries. If you fry the fries last, they actually pick up some of the crumbs left in the oil. When filtering, I dip the oil out with a cup and throw the last 1/4 inch away. It contains most of the nasties. I've used the same 4 gallons of oil all summer long doing at least 1 fish fry per week including hush puppies and fries for 10-20 people each time. Just don't burn it, and skim out loose cornmeal(if applicable) it burns and imparts bad flavor to the oil evin if the oils doesn't burn.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

What model did you buy ? I don't own one, but I recall seeing a home counter top version in a store a few months ago that had a built in filtration and storage system and the price was very cost friendly. However, I do not know about it's quality or size capacity. I think it was T-FAL brand.

EDIT : Found it - http://www.t-falusa.com/tefal/produc...XUV108XLGQ32A6

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:07 PM   #5
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

I just picked up a Waring Pro from Costco for $50. I need it to make Lumpia. It's ground pork, garlic onions carrots and spices deep fried in a thin egg roll wrapper.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
chad

Oil will darken as it ages. Conversely, new oil will not get you the golden brown color you are usually looking for. When the oil gets old and starts breaking down it will start smoking at a lower temp and it's time to change it out.

As the guys said above, strain and store the oil in a dark, cool cabinet and it'll last for many cooks. Frying the potatoes last is a great idea.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker
I just picked up a Waring Pro from Costco for $50. I need it to make Lumpia. It's ground pork, garlic onions carrots and spices deep fried in a thin egg roll wrapper.
Man, I love that Lumpia. My favorite mod of eggroll. Do you serve it with that sweet Lumpia sauce that the Filipinos make?

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
qman
Babbling Farker

Chad is right[as usual]. The oil actually gives better results after a couple of cooks, if it is not overheated.

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

i usually filter mine every other time or so..depends on what i'm cooking. breaded stuff like fish will cause lots more "crumbs" in the bottom. I use a mesh screen that I glued into a margarine bowl with bottom cut out then cheesecloth on top of the mesh. I only use peanut oil (sam's club). I just dump it back in the fryer and close the lid. But then..i use mine quite a bit too.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
chad

Lumpia and honest to gosh spring rolls!!

Pansit!

Pan de sol, especially after a day/night/day of San Miguels and assorted other adult beverages while 'phoon evac'd to Clark AB.

No wonder I'm diabetic now!!

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
qman
Babbling Farker

Yep, boatnut, storing it in the fryer would work if you use it a lot.
Since I don't, I decant my oil [peanut also] into a mason jar and screw the lid down tight.

I have thought about putting the oil into one of those foodsaver containers and vacu-sucking it. That would slow down the oxidation-but that is probably overkill.

Unread 12-05-2006, 07:58 PM   #12
qman
Babbling Farker

Chad, dang it! You are making me hungry, and I just got up from the table.

Spring rolls! yes, yes, yes

Pancit. I make that all the time. Pancit and Chicken and Pork Adobo.
Good Stuff.

Unread 12-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #13
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Don't forget that seasonings, especially salt will break down the oil faster. Excessive heat and water ( ice crystals ) will do the same. I wish I had a built in deep fryer like Emeril has on his show!! When I was building my dream kitchen I looked all over the net to have the same fryer. Couldn't find it any where!! I even tried to contact the Food Network to find out who makes the built in model of that particular fryer. No luck!!

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #14
qman
Babbling Farker

Spice, I think that is a small commercial Fry-o-lator.
I too would like to have one of those built-in in my dream kitchen.

Unread 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #15
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman
Chad, dang it! You are making me hungry, and I just got up from the table.

Spring rolls! yes, yes, yes

Pancit. I make that all the time. Pancit and Chicken and Pork Adobo.
Good Stuff.
If you've had enough San Miguel the street vendor's "chicken" goes down pretty good!! Used to hit the City Lunch in Angeles City pretty often when I was down in the PI.

On Okinawa I ate real frequently at a small place across from Torii Station called the Royal - spring rolls, chicken corn soup, the chef's special fried rice (gomoku yaki mesh(spelling probably off), and on and on and on...I rate all spring rolls by the one's from the Royal!!

The Green Door for tempura - all kinds of tempura. One place out Gate 2 had a tempan yaki (kobe style cooking) area downstairs and a great Chinese place upstairs...

One of the few things I miss from Okinawa (I had 2 tours for a total of 7 years) is the FOOD!!

And one cannot forget the Ghengis Khan for Mongolian BBQ...SON, it was all you can eat and it was fantastic.