Getting into Competition

T

tumpedover

Just thought I'd see if I could get any bites on this one.
Since I've only entered local and Limited comps. I was just wondering y'all had a few words of wisdom.... I would like to begin to explore a little deeper the wonderful world of competition Barbecue.... Your best advice would be........ ?
John

Hook up with an established team and offer to wash their dishes and be their do-boy for a few contests in exchange for the opportunity to learn. That will give you a start.

Rub said:
Hook up with an established team and offer to wash their dishes and be their do-boy for a few contests in exchange for the opportunity to learn. That will give you a start.

Great idea also take a Judging class will help in many ways.

Mark your boxes and bribe judges. :lol:

Seriously, just keep practicing and go to sanctioned contests. Except for giving you a piece of meat, most teams will share everything they have if you need and all are willing to talk BBQ with you. They will give you ideas and suggestions. Just don't be presumptuous enough to ask for their recipes.

I jumped in with both feet and of course sank, no just kidding I didn't sink.LOL
Like Bigmista said, you will be surprised at how much people will help you out with things. All the sugestion here are good you just have to do what you think works for you. If you want to talk let me know I would be glad to.

Opposite of asking I have found just lurking on this and a few other boards very helpful. A lot of stuff is just slipped into the posted comments.

Just follow the old rule: The louder someone says it the less you need to hear it.

great advice

Thanks for the advice.....Any teams in the Atlanta area interested in a tag along?? I make an awesom Mexican Breakfast:biggrin:
John

Where is nmayeaux? He's somewhere in Georgia, I think.

BTW...I went to school at Lamar U. for a year and a half.

Keep an open mind. What you and your family think are great may not relate to the general public, Trial and error, asking, listening, adjusting (Small adjustments), trusting the Brethren for answers, relaxing and doing what you do best!!

That's it!!

Spice

Where about in Atl are you? I am in Jasper about 65 miles north of downtown. I have a restaurant that way and I will be doing 30 -35 events next year.

Bubba

Lamar U

BigMista,, L.U. is where I went to school...notice I said went to school not graduated from:eek: Little too much beer drinkin and not enough school:icon_clown
John

Atl

Bub-Ba-Q said:
Where about in Atl are you? I am in Jasper about 65 miles north of downtown. I have a restaurant that way and I will be doing 30 -35 events next year.

Bubba
Bubba- I'm in East Atlanta close to 20@Moreland Ave. I'd love to get together and see How ya do it !!
John

Last edited by a moderator:
tumpedover said:
BigMista,, L.U. is where I went to school...notice I said went to school not graduated from:eek: Little too much beer drinkin and not enough school:icon_clown
John

John,

Did you notice I said the same thing?

Lamar

Hmmmm.... Bigmista...I wonder if L.U. Might have a reputation for that or somthin'.....Naw surely not :wink:
John

From my own personal experience my recomendations would be as follows:

1. Read as much as you can about contests, and that includes this forum. Lots of guys will help you.

2. Give it a try. Cook a contest. You will be surprised how much you will learn by being a sponge. At a contest more experienced teams are a fountain of information, soak up as much as you can and thank them for the info.

3. Don't expect to win right away. Like everything else it takes patience.

4. Be pepaired to have a hell of a good time.

I also am just starting out and looking at my first contest in April 2007. I would be thrilled to learn from you and watch what it is going to be like.
larry

I've tried to talk on my blog about starting in comps, from the viewpoint of a newbie instead of an expert giving advice down to the neophytes. I've only done 5 comps, and the first one we went to completely cold.

I hadn't done a whole lot of reading yet, though I'd done some. I just wasn't on a site that had a lot of people that competed. We went to our first comp before ever visiting or anything. We now try to hold a spot for someone new that wants to tag along to see if they like comps or not without having to jump in. That said, I'm glad we just jumped in. Though other teams have done better in their first 5 comps, a lot of that is due to a lot more prep before their first comp. We went to the first one to learn, and tried to soak up everything we could. We still do that, and we're starting to have some small success. We at least now have a slight clue as to what we're doing, where we didn't really the first time, though we didn't embarrass ourselves, either.

There are several routes you can take to competing. If you're nervous about it, find a team to apprentice with. You can also judge first, to get an idea of what's being turned in, and talk to the teams the night before. Most teams are more than happy to show off a bit and give you some ideas. Some have their secrets, others don't keep anything secret. All have been willing to talk, though... Just not during turn in time! I for one become a bit of a jerk during that time, and I can admit that... luckily my team and my wife love me and tolerate it!

I'd take the offer to hang with Bubba...he cooks some great stuff and competes well and often.

Read up, go several contests...different types of contest are held in GA...lot's of hog specific MIM type, KCBS, and even the FBA does a few in GA. Then there's the NBBQA Open and Invitational in Douglas...the Big Pig Jig...etc.

cmcadams said:
I've tried to talk on my blog about starting in comps, from the viewpoint of a newbie instead of an expert giving advice down to the neophytes. I've only done 5 comps, and the first one we went to completely cold.

I hadn't done a whole lot of reading yet, though I'd done some. I just wasn't on a site that had a lot of people that competed. We went to our first comp before ever visiting or anything. We now try to hold a spot for someone new that wants to tag along to see if they like comps or not without having to jump in. That said, I'm glad we just jumped in. Though other teams have done better in their first 5 comps, a lot of that is due to a lot more prep before their first comp. We went to the first one to learn, and tried to soak up everything we could. We still do that, and we're starting to have some small success. We at least now have a slight clue as to what we're doing, where we didn't really the first time, though we didn't embarrass ourselves, either.

There are several routes you can take to competing. If you're nervous about it, find a team to apprentice with. You can also judge first, to get an idea of what's being turned in, and talk to the teams the night before. Most teams are more than happy to show off a bit and give you some ideas. Some have their secrets, others don't keep anything secret. All have been willing to talk, though... Just not during turn in time! I for one become a bit of a jerk during that time, and I can admit that... luckily my team and my wife love me and tolerate it!

From the pictures of your new website it looks like you could teach me a thing or two about brisket. That is some mighty fine looking brisket there sir.

Back