The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM   #16
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
This is why men should do the turkey frying... or is it why women should?

Bossmanbbq, you got a pic of that Mother of all Turkey Fryers?
I got an apron for my uncle a couple years ago that said "Real Men Fry Turkeys". Sweet!

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2006, 02:24 PM   #17
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Another tip, along the lines of Plowboy's back off a couple inches in measuring how much oil, GO SLOW and WEAR GLOVES

I have these 500* rubber gloves that go nearly to my elbows.

Now when I say to go slow, "dropping the bird into the oil" is a figure of speech.

SLOWLY lower the bird into the oil. I've cooked a few 18-20# birds and it has taken up to 2 minutes to get the bird down in there. Every demonstration you see on the news of how "not" to do it, drops it in and backs up, for even with the correct amount of oil, there's no way it aint boiling over.

So with the gloves, I have a dense denim insulated jacket on, jeans, and work boots. I skip the normal sweat pants and sandals in favor of common sense safety.

Good luck!

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #18
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
Another tip, along the lines of Plowboy's back off a couple inches in measuring how much oil, GO SLOW and WEAR GLOVES

I have these 500* rubber gloves that go nearly to my elbows.

Now when I say to go slow, "dropping the bird into the oil" is a figure of speech.

SLOWLY lower the bird into the oil. I've cooked a few 18-20# birds and it has taken up to 2 minutes to get the bird down in there. Every demonstration you see on the news of how "not" to do it, drops it in and backs up, for even with the correct amount of oil, there's no way it aint boiling over.

So with the gloves, I have a dense denim insulated jacket on, jeans, and work boots. I skip the normal sweat pants and sandals in favor of common sense safety.

Good luck!
Good point. People forget or don't realize that the oil still needs to find it's way into the cavity and nooks of the bird as it goes down.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Unread 11-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #19
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I agree with dropping it in slowly!! If you have any ice crystals in the cavity, you will find out real quick and again avoid a boil over situation. Make sure your bird is completely thawed!!

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT, PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2006, 04:18 PM   #20
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Check out the "Good Eats" episode where AB fries a turkey. He had a ladder over the fryer and used a pulley system to lower the bird into the oil. If you want to lower the bird in slowly this seemed like the contraption that would let you do that.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #21
bbqjoe
Banned

And never, ever, ever, use the uncooked popcorn stuffing method when deep frying a bird.

On edit: Wait maybe it would work!
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #22
chingador
Full Fledged Farker

My favorite marinade is to use one jar of creole butter as the base. Add one bottle of liquid onion, one bottle of liquid garlic and one bottle of Louisiana hot sauce. Inject the day before. Rub the outside of the bird with Tony Chacheres.

Plowboy is right on.

Do not skimp on the pot. Make sure that you buy a pot that has enough capacity. A lot of the "kits" come with a pot that is not big enough to fry a turkey in. A good test of how much oil to put in the pot is to put the bird in the pot and cover with water to see how much oil is needed to cook. Mark the water line and fill oil to that spot. Overflowing oil will ruin your day.

Also, do not try to fry a large bird. Try the medium to small turkeys instead. They cook much better.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #23
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador
Add one bottle of liquid onion, one bottle of liquid garlic
Where do you find the liquid onion and liquid garlic? We can't find it anywhere.

Unread 11-15-2006, 03:46 AM   #24
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Where do you find the liquid onion and liquid garlic? We can't find it anywhere.
Our store has it next to the McCormick spices. I've found it much more economical to get a juicer and make your own. I've got one dedicated to onions and garlic. Just like the designated coffee mill for spices.

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/cgi-bin...uice-Extractor

Unread 11-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #25
swamprb

I prefer to do birds that are 10-12lbs and inject but don't rub. Usually do a spicy, herb, and garlic butter injections so there is a little something for everyone in my family, It's kinda like a pig pickin' with turkey! I noticed another site discussing "smofried" turkey and always thought it would be an interesting combination. Has anyone here tried it? Oh yeah, one year we were doing a few birds and my brother insisted we inject one with Yoshida's Gourmet sauce, well it never graced the dinner table as it looked like a black tar ball! but it actually tasted pretty good.
swamprb is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #26
chingador
Full Fledged Farker

Like Kevin says, it is in the spice section of the grocery store next to the McCormick. The bottles are kind of small. A little bit goes a long way and the flavor is excellent.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2006, 01:25 PM   #27
MrMike
On the road to being a farker

I've injected and done without - it was real tasty either way. You may want to try a small breast before the big day.

One other thing that I do that I've never seen mentioned - Just before I put the bird in, I turn off the flame and the gas tank. That way, if I have a boilover, there is less of a chance of fire. As soon as the bubbling calms down, I relight.
This did save me the one time I had a boilover - it was raining, and I set up in the doorway of my garage (yes, I know it was a stupid thing to do....). My turkey went fine. I put some potatoes in. I had them soaking in icewater and told my wife to dry them. Apparently, they weren't quite dry enough and boiled over. But my gas was off (and I did have plenty of fire extinguishing material around), so all I wound up with was a nasty oil slick on my driveway, which never quite came off.

So...turn off your gas and make sure what you're frying is dry!!

Mike